CONGU v USGA

Simbo

Tour Rookie
Visit site
That's quite a big difference in playing length!!! How long were both the courses? Doesn't the CSS help at your new place as its either a monster or your old one was tiny.

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
which courses Woody?

That's quite a big difference in playing length!!! How long were both the courses? Doesn't the CSS help at your new place as its either a monster or your old one was tiny.

I'm suffering from Monday dementia obviously and have no idea where I got my previous figures from!

I used to play at Carswell Golf and Country club, which was 6592 yds off the white and SSS is 72

My new place is the De Vere's Wokefield Park, which is 6996 yds (although I'm convinced it's actually over 7000 as they lengthened it slightly, but I can't find out for the life of me if that is true or my mate is pulling my leg!). SSS is 73

So a difference of 404 yards for 1 stroke.

CSS at Carswell was often lower than 72 I seem to remember though.

Perhaps I'm just being a drama queen :lol:

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm suffering from Monday dementia obviously and have no idea where I got my previous figures from!

I used to play at Carswell Golf and Country club, which was 6592 yds off the white and SSS is 72

My new place is the De Vere's Wokefield Park, which is 6996 yds (although I'm convinced it's actually over 7000 as they lengthened it slightly, but I can't find out for the life of me if that is true or my mate is pulling my leg!). SSS is 73

So a difference of 404 yards for 1 stroke.

CSS at Carswell was often lower than 72 I seem to remember though.

Perhaps I'm just being a drama queen :lol:

don't know about the drama queen, but the reason I asked wasn't because I thought it was wrong but because I hoped it would provide a useful base to look at course rating, in the context of this thread.....sadly it's not the extreme example I'd hoped for!

Carswell, when looking at it a little and taking into account the yellow tee distance and rating, probably came in at just over 71 1/2, and Wokefield just under 72 1/2; I suspect Wokefield plays to a CSS of 73, or even 74, pretty frequently when the rough gets a little lush? Wokefield used to be on HDID but seems to have moved to a different handicapping software last year?

Either way, it's at the upper end of any average length course, and members will have pretty strong handicaps in my expectation.