Compulsory Handicap to be shown on Scorecard

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Who would you know who to penalize :D (tongue firmly in cheek)

In one of our recent comps I was checking the results and saw a named person who had been DQd for no name on the card. It was therefore obvious the scorer was able to work out whose card it was. I had to inform the scorer that it was not a DQ. The player went from zero to hero (2nd place).

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
In one of our recent comps I was checking the results and saw a named person who had been DQd for no name on the card. It was therefore obvious the scorer was able to work out whose card it was. I had to inform the scorer that it was not a DQ. The player went from zero to hero (2nd place).

Hope the prize was given to A anonymous and given to charity

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Simplicity of the rules worldwide perhaps. Not all competitions are run using computerised systems with up-to-date handicap data.

Yep we have one this Saturday- Presidents Day with different holes worth different score values. Asking the man who was going to check the cards as I’m not available his reply was - Can’t the system deal with it? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
We started taking cards a couple of weeks ago and found that 18 months of not returning them seem to be enough for significant numbers to forget how to complete them correctly - missing handicaps, player signature and marker name (as still no card swapping) were common, but also names that require deciphering (e.g. "me", nicknames, or even nothing at all). As such I'd suggest you think about (re-)educating your members in preparation to avoid mass DQs.

Unless apps provide proper attestation (most do not) and all players are prepared to use them (they won't, and not just the older ones), apps will not replace a physical scorecard when the current relaxing of 3.3b ends.
Totally agree with this, the Apps will only be a substitute method of score entry rather than using the club computer, we will all go back to paper cards, because scores need to be verified and signed for, and the current App based signing and verifying is a fudge

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Apps will be the way forwards.
For those who can’t/won’t use technology it’s easy for another member of the group to report that players score back to the relevant person at the club without the need for any card.
Here in Scotland the SG app tells you your handicap index course and playing when you check in.
As a H'Cap Sec, no it really isn't. Apps will be the way forward, I agree with you there, in maybe 25 years time. But the shambolic SG App is neither the answer in its current state, nor the answer at the current time. We will be back to physical cards which can be swapped and signed by player & marker I'd imagine when we hit Level 0

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Totally agree with this, the Apps will only be a substitute method of score entry rather than using the club computer, we will all go back to paper cards, because scores need to be verified and signed for, and the current App based signing and verifying is a fudge

The Rules do not require scorecards whether paper based or electronic to be signed. Scores have to be certified.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
The Rules do not require scorecards whether paper based or electronic to be signed. Scores have to be certified.
Yes, you "certify" by signing, also "The marker keeps the players score", which is not how the Apps work, you keep your own score and sign for both you and the marker. We will be back to paper cards guaranteed

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
As a H'Cap Sec, no it really isn't. Apps will be the way forward, I agree with you there, in maybe 25 years time. But the shambolic SG App is neither the answer in its current state, nor the answer at the current time. We will be back to physical cards which can be swapped and signed by player & marker I'd imagine when we hit Level 0

Are there two different SG apps? I don't recognise the shambolic one.

It would be really helpful if you could specify in what ways the app has been shambolic in the hope that by knowing I can pre-empt problems at my club. I haven't had that many app problems referred to me and many of those were caused by user unfamiliarity. I've had none in the last month attributable to system error. What's going wrong for you and what has the SG response been to your reporting the problems?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes, you "certify" by signing, also "The marker keeps the players score", which is not how the Apps work, you keep your own score and sign for both you and the marker. We will be back to paper cards guaranteed

We use cards and adopted ' player marks their own card, and puts the markers score in the marker column, marker verbally agrees the score. The markers name needs to be on the card so if required the score can be verified by checking the markers card. It is something I would like to see continue when we come out of covid rules.

The England golf app can only be used if your marker also has the app, you sign the app and put in the markers name. Marker is then sent a message by EG to affirm the score.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site

Certainly you can certify by signing but signing is not the only way in which you can certify.
Be positive. The future is cardless.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I know it, you know it. The (only) handicap which a player is obliged to show on a scorecard in stroke play is their Course Handicap. If you put your CH in the CH box you will not be DQd, so long as it is accurate. Lots of scorecards have three boxes, HI, CH and PH available. Do other posters find their players putting CHs in the PH box? I have been easy going and accepting a CH in a PH box, and trying to cajole conformity, but a player recently only put the PH in PH box, and appealed when I dock him and his group 1 stroke each from the score. The only handicaps on the card were the three PHs. Please see Players Edition rule 3.3b to advise whether you think this rule is specific.

I've spoken to my handicap sec about what to put, at first he was very much doesn't matter playing or course we will work out

Even tho you have to put course

So I adopted my own simple system which our group use

Course in handicap box. Playing in strokes received

That way people don't get confused if trying to add their stableford