Compulsory Handicap to be shown on Scorecard

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Are there two different SG apps? I don't recognise the shambolic one.

It would be really helpful if you could specify in what ways the app has been shambolic in the hope that by knowing I can pre-empt problems at my club. I haven't had that many app problems referred to me and many of those were caused by user unfamiliarity. I've had none in the last month attributable to system error. What's going wrong for you and what has the SG response been to your reporting the problems?
Unable to verify is the main one, unable to find course (general play), unable to post scores (both), App freezing, App logging out and ending your round (creating a penalty score scenario) if you switch from scoring to something else like check the time sheet or whatever

The biggest problem though, and you've touched on it there, it's too complicated for most, especially after the simplicity of HDID, and folks just can't get it right, we're now 3 full months into the season and still standing over folks shoulders in the car park trying to get things done right.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
We use cards and adopted ' player marks their own card, and puts the markers score in the marker column, marker verbally agrees the score. The markers name needs to be on the card so if required the score can be verified by checking the markers card. It is something I would like to see continue when we come out of covid rules.

The England golf app can only be used if your marker also has the app, you sign the app and put in the markers name. Marker is then sent a message by EG to affirm the score.
Aye we use cards as well now, we went full App at the start, but due to the issues that caused, we rewrote competition rules that paper card speaks, if we get scores that come in unverified, we will ask for the paper card to be mailed through or a DQ. We've asked that folks fill in the App after they've played, it's worked much better since then.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Unable to verify is the main one, unable to find course (general play), unable to post scores (both), App freezing, App logging out and ending your round (creating a penalty score scenario) if you switch from scoring to something else like check the time sheet or whatever

The biggest problem though, and you've touched on it there, it's too complicated for most, especially after the simplicity of HDID, and folks just can't get it right, we're now 3 full months into the season and still standing over folks shoulders in the car park trying to get things done right.

Thanks for the info. And what has the SG response been to your reporting these issues? Technical issues apart, I'm surprised to hear that folk just can't get it right. It 's a simple enough process.

Last edited:

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Thanks for the info. And what has the SG response been to your reporting these issues? Technical issues apart, I'm surprised to hear that folk just can't get it right. It 's a simple enough process.
Well I think you can see from their response to the Hive, they've basically changed it so it's very hard for folks to discuss the common issues, we were all seeing the same things, one person even suggested a thread on common faults already known so we didn't all keep regurgitating the same things, but they are so determined that the App and VMS are great that they simply are not too responsive to feedback.

I've been a lifelong critic of the appalling lack of value clubs, especially small clubs, get from SG, the advent of the VMS system and accompanying App seemed a huge step in the right direction, and then competitive season kicked in, boy was it not properly Beta tested and has been a massive regression from HDID & CLub V1

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Aye we use cards as well now, we went full App at the start, but due to the issues that caused, we rewrote competition rules that paper card speaks, if we get scores that come in unverified, we will ask for the paper card to be mailed through or a DQ. We've asked that folks fill in the App after they've played, it's worked much better since then.

We do have PSI screens and all players are expected to either use one of them IG or the IG app to input their own scores but there are times when the PSI screens fail and there are a lot of golfers that do not have a smart phone or the app so the cards are there for backup and scores already on the system get a check against them I believe. Last time I did the cards I only checked the probable winners and that signatures etc were correct.