Comp fees going up?

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Surely everyone goes in the 2s..?.?
Most people have more chance of a 2 than winning the ckmp in the first place....
Not everyone at ours goes in.. a few weeks ago there we 35 2s in a comp - paid out about £2.50 each :ROFLMAO:

At the club I'm at now.
The 2s sweep only applies to 2 of the par 3s
To avoid such a situation, where there's a pointless low payout like you've just stated.

Good idea if you ask me

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
We’re £3 for the comp and optional £2 2s.

The comps here aren’t always full. I imagine any attempt to increase the fees would lessen participation.

This - Club takes its notional amounts from the £3 for its expenses. All 2's goes back to players

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This riles me tbh

But why should members pay for team meals or team uniforms, as has been the case at a couple clubs I've been at.

I personally couldn't give 2 hoots if there was a team at any club I'm a member at, it brings no benefits to me.

If you want to play for a team, subsidise it yourself surely

Rant Over...
I've enjoyed playing for free in the past but as Club Captain last year I began to see & hear things from a general Members point of view....... I think you're right...... especially as pretty much, all the teams they play against pay for food themselves.

D

Deleted member 15344

£3 for singles £4 for pairs

Plus 2’s entry

A good percentage of the entry fee goes to the prizes , trophies and boards etc with the club taking a small cut

2’s winnings are vouchers in the pro shop

Comps are a choice of on the bar card or on the pro shop

Paperboy

Mini Cam
Visit site
£3 for the comp, £1 for a sweep and £1 for 2's. Sweep and 2's are both optional.
Always been a fiver if you do it all for as long as I've been a member.
Comp winnings goes on the bar card. 2's money and sweep onto our shop account.

D

Deleted member 1147

All winnings at my place go on the Proshop account.

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I don’t think this is fair.
I don’t play in comps so have no idea of the cost of ours, but why should people who play in comps have to pay more towards the club than those who don’t?
I get why you pay an entry fee, prizes, engraving and the like, but the extra club revenue should come cross the board not as a tax on comps surely?!
Madness, surely the fair way is for entrants to pay. To me it’s like putting your money into a sweep, got to be in it to win it.

Can’t see, let’s say, the yearly subscription going up by £75 to pay for prizes being popular. I play most weekend comps £5 a pop but I can’t play weekdays why would I subsidise that? What about Seniors and Ladies comps, where I am not even eligible.

The bar levy is unpopular with some golfers, having a competition levy would be much more unpopular, as it only benefits those who can play the most, and let’s face it they already get more out of their membership.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Madness, surely the fair way is for entrants to pay. To me it’s like putting your money into a sweep, got to be in it to win it.

Can’t see, let’s say, the yearly subscription going up by £75 to pay for prizes being popular. I play most weekend comps £5 a pop but I can’t play weekdays why would I subsidise that? What about Seniors and Ladies comps, where I am not even eligible.

The bar levy is unpopular with some golfers, having a competition levy would be much more unpopular, as it only benefits those who can play the most, and let’s face it they already get more out of their membership.
It is a little confused but I don't think he's quite meaning that.

D

Deleted member 15344

I don’t think this is fair.
I don’t play in comps so have no idea of the cost of ours, but why should people who play in comps have to pay more towards the club than those who don’t?
I get why you pay an entry fee, prizes, engraving and the like, but the extra club revenue should come cross the board not as a tax on comps surely?!

When we discussed it was down to pay for

Prizes
Engraving on boards and trophies
Mementos
Competition and Handicap Software
Admin costs

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It is a little confused but I don't think he's quite meaning that.
I think he is
why should people who play in comps have to pay more towards the club than those who don’t?
Ultimately, you either don’t have pro shop prizes (which I am totally fine with) or you fund it from increased subscriptions.

At least with a Bar Levy you can get a few bottles of wine if you are a car park golfer.

Springveldt

Visit site
I'd be annoyed if they put them up at my place if I'm being honest. Once the golf season starts nearly all of my rounds are either in the Comp on a Saturday or in the Sweep on a Wednesday, I very rarely get to play a "practice" round from April to the start of October. That's usually £8 a week, plus 2 pints (one after each round) and normally some food on Saturday as well.

If they feel the need for extra income then just stick it on everyone's membership, at least everyone gets to pay that way.

edit: Should also mention that you can't play on a Saturday till after 3pm at mine unless you are in the comp. Saturday morning is really the only time that is "booked" in our family calendar for me to play golf.

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
105 played in yesterday‘s board comp at my place, but nowhere near everyone enters the optional two’s sweep. There were a grand total of nine 2s (actually eight plus a hole-in-one). Our par threes are pretty tough and can be made very tough with some pin positions. I doubt we’ll be sharing a pot of anywhere near £160. I’m guessing I’ll get about £10 for my two.
Well…my 2 won me £25.71 in the twos sweep. Given there were 9 winners (we have four par 3s but they can be, and were on Sunday, set up tough - that means the twos pot was about £230, and as there were 105 playing at £2.50 entry that means almost everyone entered the twos sweep.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
edit: Should also mention that you can't play on a Saturday till after 3pm at mine unless you are in the comp. Saturday morning is really the only time that is "booked" in our family calendar for me to play golf.
I think this is harsh, not the comment but that it is how it is. If you work and don't want to play competition golf then you are stuffed. I guess it makes it easier to decide whether it is the club for you or not but I don't agree with it. If you are a full member you should be able to play without being forced to play in the comp if you don't want to.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I have always understood the the 2's ball sweep cannot be mandatory as essentially it's considered gambling by the golf powers that be, and therefore there has to be an "opt out".

Am I right or wrong?

Albo

Visit site

The fair way is for entrants to pay. But in the example of the OP, the cost of comps is going up not to cover the comp but to add money into the club. I don’t think that’s the right way to raise extra money

Visit site
In Aus all our comp fees are around 13 Bucks, about £8 in pounds. It’s been around this since I came here in 2017. If there’s about a 100 entrants then top 5 in each grade gets between $120 bucks down to about $40 bucks for 5th.this goes as credit in the club that you can use towards next years fees or apparel. I’ve had some occasional wins and played pretty average over that 5 year spread. I’ve always ended up having enough to cover my fees for the following year, and have enough left over to buy some balls or gear. I thought it was pretty steep when I first came from Uk. Required a change of mindset, but love it and can’t imagine going back to how it was a couple of quid in the UK before I left. It’s the same at any club or course in NSW. Aussies never ever complain about it. Granted yearly fees are cheaper here than Uk. Just throwing that in there as how it operates in different parts of the world.
There also an optional $1 dollar for nearest the pin, winner takes all, again goes as pro shop credit or use against your annual fees.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
A past club of mine was struggling financially and was losing every year on after match meals. At the AGM I raised why general membership was paying for this and you would have thought I'd shot Bambi. They couldn't understand why this would be questioned :rolleyes: .

Interesting that 2's is mandatory. I've not come across that before. Do people grumble about that or is it just accepted because it has always been that way?

I played for one of our teams a few times last year. There was always a 2 course meal afterwards, which we paid a fiver towards. I'd never thought about it before, but given the same offering is £12-£14 normally, there is obviously some kind of cross-subsidy going on.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Surely every member’s club produces a balance sheet for their AGM’s. That balance sheet shows the cost of running the club. The club has several revenue streams, subs, green fees, bar & comp entry fees. If member’s want zero cost to enter comps, put in a request/proposal. But when the club increases the subs to cover a lost revenue stream, don’t gripe.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I have always understood the the 2's ball sweep cannot be mandatory as essentially it's considered gambling by the golf powers that be, and therefore there has to be an "opt out".

Am I right or wrong?
The gambling argument makes sense - never known a 2s sweep to be mandatory - wouldn’t be a sweep if it was.