Comp fees going up?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Our single day comp entry fee is £3.50 with £2.50 for the two‘s sweep. I got one yesterday in a board comp with a large entry. I wait with bated breath on finding out how much I’ve got for it. Won’t be vast riches but might cover cost of my entries to 6 or 7 comps. Knockouts tend to be £5.

The club is totally transparent on how entry money is divi‘d up. Some goes on admin though not a huge %, but don’t think any goes into club funds. But as the question interests me I will check.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
It’s £5 at my place but one of the stableford comps had 4 entries.

For some reason the members just aren’t bothered by the comps

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think ours is £2.50 then £1 for the two's (optional). I'm pulling back from comps. I used to be really in to them, but for some reason I can't raise any enthusiasm for them anymore. I'm in the Ko's, first round of doubles v last years winners. Oh well......

Albo

Visit site
I don’t think this is fair.
I don’t play in comps so have no idea of the cost of ours, but why should people who play in comps have to pay more towards the club than those who don’t?
I get why you pay an entry fee, prizes, engraving and the like, but the extra club revenue should come cross the board not as a tax on comps surely?!

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
We’re £3 for the comp and optional £2 2s.

The comps here aren’t always full. I imagine any attempt to increase the fees would lessen participation.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Most of my competitive golf outside of knockouts is our Saturday rollup. That’s £1 to enter and of course the club asks for nothing from us. I could enter the stableford comp that runs every Saturday and Sunday if there isn’t anything else on, but I only enter these if I want to put a card in or if the rest of the group I’m with want to.

Last edited:

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
It seems like mine at £7 per comp is higher than most, but both sweeps aren't obligatory. Having said that I have about £150 on my shop account from comp winnings. I know that the shop get the benefit of the mark up on the costs of what I'll buy but, at least, I will normally spend the money when the have a sale on

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Our single day comp entry fee is £3.50 with £2.50 for the two‘s sweep. I got one yesterday in a board comp with a large entry. I wait with bated breath on finding out how much I’ve got for it. Won’t be vast riches but might cover cost of my entries to 6 or 7 comps. Knockouts tend to be £5.

The club is totally transparent on how entry money is divi‘d up. Some goes on admin though not a huge %, but don’t think any goes into club funds. But as the question interests me I will check.
Just checked and entry fee costs/prizes split is 25/75

So of £3.50 standard entry fee club takes about £0.85 to go towards covering the costs for trophies, engraving, honours boards, computer software, computer hardware and other general competition expenses.

Captain_Black.

Visit site
Ours are £4.00 per comp + an optional £1.00 for the 2's
Our comps are very popular, most Saturdays we have 150 (ish) competing, a few less on a Sunday + midweek Senior comps.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
My conclusion (and shared experience) is that theres far to much money in amateur golf.

To think that comp entry can be over a hundred people, regularly over 150 at our place, and its £5 a head, winner could easily net over £100. Plus twos money, twice a week. We had players last year with over £1000 on there account. More than enough to pay there fees.

Thats absolutely an incentive to cheat, coupled with the comedy simplicity of forming a handicap.... Well I think entry fees should be limited.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ours was £4 (been that for a few years) including a mandatory £1 for 2's which is 'ring-fenced'. Now increased to £5 with £1 mandatory 2's the same. 72% of the remaining £4 is paid-out in Pro-shop credit. The reason given for going to £5 was the increase in the cost of engraving, Trophy replacement & the (mostly 100%) cost of provision of meals for the Club's teams ie. Scratch, Nett, Tigers, Rabitts & Seniors (£6 a man subsidy). The updating of Honours Boards, Comp software etc are all covered in the annual Membership fee.
It's hardly surprising that there are 'grumblings' of why this should be taken from Comp monies.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ours was £4 (been that for a few years) including a mandatory £1 for 2's which is 'ring-fenced'. Now increased to £5 with £1 mandatory 2's the same. 72% of the remaining £4 is paid-out in Pro-shop credit. The reason given for going to £5 was the increase in the cost of engraving, Trophy replacement & the (mostly 100%) cost of provision of meals for the Club's teams ie. Scratch, Nett, Tigers, Rabitts & Seniors (£6 a man subsidy). The updating of Honours Boards, Comp software etc are all covered in the annual Membership fee.
It's hardly surprising that there are 'grumblings' of why this should be taken from Comp monies.
A past club of mine was struggling financially and was losing every year on after match meals. At the AGM I raised why general membership was paying for this and you would have thought I'd shot Bambi. They couldn't understand why this would be questioned :rolleyes: .

Interesting that 2's is mandatory. I've not come across that before. Do people grumble about that or is it just accepted because it has always been that way?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Surely everyone goes in the 2s..?.?
Most people have more chance of a 2 than winning the ckmp in the first place....
Not everyone at ours goes in.. a few weeks ago there we 35 2s in a comp - paid out about £2.50 each :ROFLMAO:

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A past club of mine was struggling financially and was losing every year on after match meals. At the AGM I raised why general membership was paying for this and you would have thought I'd shot Bambi. They couldn't understand why this would be questioned :rolleyes: .

Interesting that 2's is mandatory. I've not come across that before. Do people grumble about that or is it just accepted because it has always been that way?
Yes, it's been assumed for years that those playing for the Club get fed for free. Previously there was a £5 entry 'Fund raiser' for each Team where the team members put up bottles as prizes but due to reducing entry numbers it was decided that such meal financing would come direct from Comp entry fees. Can't remember it it was an item for discussion at AGM or simply announced there
Yes, the mandatory 2's has only been that way for some 5 or 6 years. Prior to that, you had to sign-up in Pro-shop for Comp & tick if in the 2's. The payout was in the 2x Divisional split & any roll-overs were kept to that Comp (ie. Sat, Seniors, or Mid-week). Once Comp entry started to happen via the PSI & more lately HDIDo App it became increasing difficult & time consuming to keep track of it all so was decided to make it mandatory. Also, with that & the move to mixed-tee Comps it was decided to pay a standard amount regardless of the number playing. Typical number of 2's in a year into the £1's gave an approx figure of £12 a two..... & that's what gets paid. So even if there's just a dozen or so in a Seniors a 2 pays £12. Has, largely, gone down well with the members though some don't like the 'mandatory' nature as they can only reach a couple of the Par 3's. That may well change as some Comps will have, much further-forward, tee options where they'll be able to get there & maybe closer....... It's to be seen.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
For some reason, this £1 increase just feels a step too far. We normally have 120-140 in the comp, so your chances of winning anything are slim. But £3 to enter (not counting the 2s for a minute) and probably lose it is fine, it’s a bit of fun. But an extra quid to probably lose, only for that quid to go straight to the club feels like a p take to me.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Surely everyone goes in the 2s..?.?
Most people have more chance of a 2 than winning the ckmp in the first place....
Not everyone at ours goes in.. a few weeks ago there we 35 2s in a comp - paid out about £2.50 each :ROFLMAO:
105 played in yesterday‘s board comp at my place, but nowhere near everyone enters the optional two’s sweep. There were a grand total of nine 2s (actually eight plus a hole-in-one). Our par threes are pretty tough and can be made very tough with some pin positions. I doubt we’ll be sharing a pot of anywhere near £160. I’m guessing I’ll get about £10 for my two.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
£4 for us. It used to be £3.50 with the club taking £1.50 as admin but the present comp secretary got them to drop the admin charge to £1, leaving more prize money.

It’s not so much the extra spend for me but you mentioned it was to support the club. Put the membership up then! I don’t mind seeing an increase but I’m not a fan of stealth increases hidden in comps and used to up their income. Comp fees should just be the cost of administering it.

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes, it's been assumed for years that those playing for the Club get fed for free. Previously there was a £5 entry 'Fund raiser' for each Team where the team members put up bottles as prizes but due to reducing entry numbers it was decided that such meal financing would come direct from Comp entry fees. Can't remember it it was an item for discussion at AGM or simply announced there

This riles me tbh

But why should members pay for team meals or team uniforms, as has been the case at a couple clubs I've been at.

I personally couldn't give 2 hoots if there was a team at any club I'm a member at, it brings no benefits to me.

If you want to play for a team, subsidise it yourself surely

Rant Over...