Club comps

D

Deleted member 25172

Impossible. Why do you say that?

We are planning to restart competitions next week. We use Handicapmaster and they have very quickly produced a very workable system. I set up the competition and, after players have played they will take their card home, log in to Masterscoreboard (their equivalent of HowDidIdo) and enter their scores. When all scores have been entered and checked I will finalise the competition. There will be the very occasional player with no internet access at all for whom we will have alternative arrangements. According to our contact with members you can count those in that situation on the fingers of one hand.

PS missed your late insertion of irony.

Apologies, sometimes the way you’re writing something and the way it reads in your own head doesn’t translate the same way for others.
I misst competitions and I don’t see any reason why they couldn’t be played - if the will is there that is. Then you find a way, like you and your club have done.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Just wait until things calm down , wait until rakes are back in play etc. Just play social golf and enjoy the sunshine

No thanks, I enjoy competitive golf more, the quicker it returns the better.

You can have competitions with pick & place in bunkers, probably get a better position & lie than when they’re ‘raked’ badly when we have rakes available.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Starting matchplay knockouts beginning of June and trying a comp tomorrow with 44 entrants. As HDID havnt come up with the promised on line scoring app competitors will all photograph and email cards to me. What else is there to do ?. Hope to do first qualifying comp mid june and allowing supplementary cards from 1 June procedures and policies all done. Exciting weekend in the Skier household. ?

PaulS

Visit site
No thanks, I enjoy competitive golf more, the quicker it returns the better.

You can have competitions with pick & place in bunkers, probably get a better position & lie than when they’re ‘raked’ badly when we have rakes available.

Pick and place in bunkers ? Interesting - not real golf though is it , if no rakes then play as it lies certainly not pick and place.

We have only just returned to playing golf whilst other sports haven’t even started , we aren’t professionals and you can have social comps with mates. We don’t need competitions to start until conditions are safer for a lot of people.

A good number of obstacles right now.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Pick and place in bunkers ? Interesting - not real golf though is it , if no rakes then play as it lies certainly not pick and place.

We have only just returned to playing golf whilst other sports haven’t even started , we aren’t professionals and you can have social comps with mates. We don’t need competitions to start until conditions are safer for a lot of people.

A good number of obstacles right now.

It’s within the rules, why make the game any harder than it needs to be?

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Impossible. Why do you say that?

We are planning to restart competitions next week. We use Handicapmaster and they have very quickly produced a very workable system. I set up the competition and, after players have played they will take their card home, log in to Masterscoreboard (their equivalent of HowDidIdo) and enter their scores. When all scores have been entered and checked I will finalise the competition. There will be the very occasional player with no internet access at all for whom we will have alternative arrangements. According to our contact with members you can count those in that situation on the fingers of one hand.

PS missed your late insertion of irony.

Just interested (as we run HandicapMaster at our club) How do you plan to verify that the scores entered by the individual are correct? Will players be expected to return physical cards at a later date for retrospective cross-checking or are you going to take their returned scores at their word?

(Not meant as an criticism whichever way you've decide to go...just genuinely interested at the decisions you've come to).

How will you finalise the competition? Will you need to visit the club to access the H'Master via a PC at Your club, or, are you running the Cloud Edition so are able to do this remotely?

PaulS

Visit site
It’s within the rules, why make the game any harder than it needs to be?

I honestly didn’t realise you could lift clean and place in a bunker ? Which rule is it.

Bunkers are hazards, a good punishment and if it’s in one that hasn’t been raked then so bet , you can take a penalty drop outside the bunker.

But when it comes to comps there are all the issues with the cards , smart phones , PSI’s etc which on the surface can be overcome but there will always be some that don’t have smart phone etc.

Matchplays on the surface can be played and I suspect many are prob playing them socially right now but all you need is one person in the draw to maybe get symptoms or because of restricted tee times small obstacles get in the way.

Have fun with friends , appreciate the sport , just play the game and let comps re enter when all is well

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Jeez, I was initially responding to the queries made by some who were stating that they couldn’t start comps because of the cross contamination of cards being handed in etc. I simply responded by stating that they didn’t need to, if the PSI was also out of bounds, then they could go home and use whatever they use (pc, laptop, tablet etc) to book a tee, and put their score on the system in this way, how is that so hard to understand, Nothing to do with smart phones, and the tone of your reply stinks!!

It’s still English up there isn’t it ?

As someone who is responsible competitions at our club it is part of my responsibility to look at all options and their pitfalls in the current situation. I simply stated that your original comment lacked clarity in the first line!!.

As I said in another post/thread about 5% of our members appear to have none of the devices you have listed. So we have to come up with systems that allows all members to participate not just the 'switched on' generation.

We still have a few of members who on a Saturday afternoon still cannot work the PSI terminal and have to get someone else to input their scores for them.

PaulS

Visit site
Its a local rule that may be implemented by the Committee, its not part of the "main" rules that you will find in the book.

Does that not automatically turn any comp into a Non Q ?

I know someone clubs have it as Winter Rules but it’s suspect just like Pick and Place through the green.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Does that not automatically turn any comp into a Non Q ?

I know someone clubs have it as Winter Rules but it’s suspect just like Pick and Place through the green.

Under what we might consider "normal circumstances" I'd say yes...but in these "interesting times" then it may be something that your local handicapping authority might take a more lenient view on.

Of course, it depends on if you are interested in just holding "competitive golf" competitions, or "qualifying golf" competitions. Some people may be happy to play the former, some may decide theres no point unless the round is going to count for your handicap.

PaulS

Visit site
Under what we might consider "normal circumstances" I'd say yes...but in these "interesting times" then it may be something that your local handicapping authority might take a more lenient view on.

Of course, it depends on if you are interested in just holding "competitive golf" competitions, or "qualifying golf" competitions. Some people may be happy to play the former, some may decide theres no point unless the round is going to count for your handicap.
I reckon our place won’t do any comps until we go to three balls and even then prob not until July , no Knockouts as well - just pleasant social golf enjoying the game. Some in my opinion just get too intense about club comps that it takes a bit away from the game.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
As someone who is responsible competitions at our club it is part of my responsibility to look at all options and their pitfalls in the current situation. I simply stated that your original comment lacked clarity in the first line!!.

As I said in another post/thread about 5% of our members appear to have none of the devices you have listed. So we have to come up with systems that allows all members to participate not just the 'switched on' generation.

We still have a few of members who on a Saturday afternoon still cannot work the PSI terminal and have to get someone else to input their scores for them.

so how are they booking tee times ?

PaulS

Visit site
so how are they booking tee times ?

Probably the same at my club , get someone else to enter them or phone through to the office or pro shop.

We still have people who don’t have a mobile and some who don’t even have internet at home.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Probably the same at my club , get someone else to enter them or phone through to the office or pro shop.

We still have people who don’t have a mobile and some who don’t even have internet at home.

Then you match them up with people who do!

I get tired of people that find more reasons to not do something than to find, as they should, a way to get on with it, there are always ways, and if some people don’t have any form of internet (their personal choice) to be able to input a score, then have someone play with them that will, and if that’s not possible, exclude them, is that harsh, no it isn’t, it’s 2020, why should 99% of a membership be held back by backward looking people!