Club comps

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Each to their own but I have no desire to play club competitions with upturned cups, preferred lies in bunkers etc. That's not proper golf as per the normal rules and therefore there should be no handicap qualifiers until the rules are back to normal IMO.
If the handicapping authorities are happy with it why not have handicap games. After all, they are the ones that determine the rules that apply in 'normal times'.
If a player doesn't like like it, they don't have to enter.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Right now we don’t even have cards out there for people to use to ensure there is no cross contamination, pro shops may not want to start to handle score card etc
Why use a printed card from the club? Just bring a piece of paper together with your pencil.

PaulS

Visit site
Why use a printed card from the club? Just bring a piece of paper together with your pencil.
? are people that desperate to play competitions?

Why can’t people just look at the situation we are in right now and just take in the fact we are very lucky to be able to play golf at all instead of trying to find a way to play a competition.

Right now our members are enjoying the relaxed social game with no stresses and are appreciating the game and course a lot more.

fenwayrich

Assistant Pro
Visit site
? are people that desperate to play competitions?

Why can’t people just look at the situation we are in right now and just take in the fact we are very lucky to be able to play golf at all instead of trying to find a way to play a competition.

Right now our members are enjoying the relaxed social game with no stresses and are appreciating the game and course a lot more.

To some people, including myself, there is no such thing as 'relaxed social golf'. Competitive golf is the only form of the game I find enjoyable. I've played 4 times so far, each one matchplay against different friends. No substitute for card and pencil golf though.

I appreciate that some people enjoy shuffling it forwards without counting. They can carry on doing that of course, but if competitions are viable, why can't we have them as well?

D

Deleted member 16999

Nobody is forced to run or enter competitions so I don’t see why people take it to extremes.

The ruling bodies have put procedures in place for Clubs IF they wish to run qualifying comps.

If Clubs are satisfied they can meet all that is required then good luck to them. Members then have a choice.

Our competitions raise over £5,000 pa for the Club and £15,000 for the Captain, which he uses for weekly prizes, end of season trophies and other official expenses with the balance at the end of his term going to his designated Charity.

Add in the 2’s pot and how that helps the Pro, there is a lot of good that comes from getting comps going again.

PaulS

Visit site
To some people, including myself, there is no such thing as 'relaxed social golf'. Competitive golf is the only form of the game I find enjoyable. I've played 4 times so far, each one matchplay against different friends. No substitute for card and pencil golf though.

I appreciate that some people enjoy shuffling it forwards without counting. They can carry on doing that of course, but if competitions are viable, why can't we have them as well?
Then just carry on having friendly matchplays with mates etc Which is what I suspect most people are doing

There seems to be an expectation that we are now back to normal in regards golf, far from it , clubs and courses are not operating as normal . Pro shops closed , clubhouses closed , staff still on furlough , club volunteers focusing efforts elsewhere.

Competitions are important for a club but we are only back under restrictions and only be back for 10 days , it’s going to take a month or so to get back up to close to normal operation and that will include people focusing on arranging organised club competitions.

It’s great that we as a sport were allowed back to get back before any other sport and it just appears like we have seen with our ladies that they expect things to be as they were.

D

Deleted member 16999

Then just carry on having friendly matchplays with mates etc Which is what I suspect most people are doing

There seems to be an expectation that we are now back to normal in regards golf, far from it , clubs and courses are not operating as normal . Pro shops closed , clubhouses closed , staff still on furlough , club volunteers focusing efforts elsewhere.

Competitions are important for a club but we are only back under restrictions and only be back for 10 days , it’s going to take a month or so to get back up to close to normal operation and that will include people focusing on arranging organised club competitions.

It’s great that we as a sport were allowed back to get back before any other sport and it just appears like we have seen with our ladies that they expect things to be as they were.
Again though, each Club is different,

Our Pro Shop is open.
Our Staff are no longer furloughed.
Club Volunteers are available.

The only thing we haven’t got is the Clubhouse open.

All we are offering is 2Ball Ind Comps at the weekend and they are not compulsory, it’s not been rushed and has been requested by members.

Not one person I’ve talked to thinks we are in anyway back to normal.

Last edited by a moderator:

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
If people want some form of comp then it can be done. The ladies section at my mum's club are doing an isolation open at the moment. You fill in your card, check it with your playing partner, if she is happy with it, you photograph it and send it to the lady captain via whatsapp and correlates the scores. OK, that is more a fun approach and really is not going to meet the requirements to make it qualifying (plus a lot of work for one person to correlate scores if you have big numbers of entries) but they have something with a bit of a competitive edge, they have worked out a way of doing it whilst being fully compliant and so all credit to them. And for those saying there is an issue with technology, a lot of this group are in their 70s who had no experience at this at all before lockdown. They are all now on social media, whatsapp, zoom, the lot. the hurdle of technology is an excuse from people not willing to learn.

The Autumn Wind

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Paul S, I don’t understand why you keep trying to shut down the debate from people that enjoy playing competition golf, and want to enjoy competitive golf SAFELY.

Poker joke and Lilyhawk have both explained the scenario how it can happen.

I’m pleased for you that you are enjoying social golf. You need to have more awareness though that not everyone wants the same things from life as you do.

If competition golf can be played safely, surely everyone is happy, as everyone will have a choice. It won’t be compulsory. ?

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Each to their own but I have no desire to play club competitions with upturned cups, preferred lies in bunkers etc. That's not proper golf as per the normal rules and therefore there should be no handicap qualifiers until the rules are back to normal IMO.
Our guys have made a gadget like 2 metal rings connected round the pin, you simply lift the top ring with you putter and it lifts the ball out.

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Paul S, I don’t understand why you keep trying to shut down the debate from people that enjoy playing competition golf, and want to enjoy competitive golf SAFELY.

Poker joke and Lilyhawk have both explained the scenario how it can happen.

I’m pleased for you that you are enjoying social golf. You need to have more awareness though that not everyone wants the same things from life as you do.

If competition golf can be played safely, surely everyone is happy, as everyone will have a choice. It won’t be compulsory. ?

But that would require a level of understanding of other people's views and accepting them for being different. Something he has proven time and time again that he unfortunately cannot do.

D

Deleted member 25172

But that would require a level of understanding of other people's views and accepting them for being different. Something he has proven time and time again that he unfortunately cannot do.

Which is why he has moved away from the subject to instead question WHY some people wants to have competitions.
I’m sure the why bit may be interesting, but would suggest that that is a topic for another thread in the case someone would like to discuss it further.

D

Deleted member 15344

Our guys have made a gadget like 2 metal rings connected round the pin, you simply lift the top ring with you putter and it lifts the ball out.

We have ordered something from eBay that will allow us to lift the ball up - until then we have the holes above the ground and it’s holed when it hits the cup , it’s a bit a giggle and someone managed to get a hole in one by bouncing over the edge of the cup into the hole ??

We have a social KO going on which is a bit of fun and another swindle which will start an Order or Merit when the proper holes go in which will be good and hopefully we will go to 3/4 balls soon which will probably our trigger for competitions to start up again ( along with Pro Shops ) , will be nice if we can have some KO’s but can’t see it. I’m hoping that the finals I qualified carry on ?

Typical that I’m playing well and can’t get HC down ?

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site

Interested to see how people are getting on with those. Seen them a few times on vlogs on youtube and on each occasion the person had to stop themselves from grabbing the flag whilst lifting the ring with a putter. I know it is an adjustment and everyone will get used to it but seemed to be a natural reaction to reach out to steady the flag whilst using it.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Interested to see how people are getting on with those. Seen them a few times on vlogs on youtube and on each occasion the person had to stop themselves from grabbing the flag whilst lifting the ring with a putter. I know it is an adjustment and everyone will get used to it but seemed to be a natural reaction to reach out to steady the flag whilst using it.
I'll try and get a picture to post, I have a video of it working but it's too big to post on here.

D

Deleted member 25172

We have had it since day one of reopening and it works perfectly fine. Havent seen a single person grab for the pin from what I can remember.

D

Deleted member 15344

Someone did ask me if with these things in place on the flag pole will they still be ok in qualifying competitions because I think some make the flag thicker ? ( not sure what affect on the hole it has )

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
We have had it since day one of reopening and it works perfectly fine. Havent seen a single person grab for the pin from what I can remember.

Guess much of it is just the standard inclination to take the pin out. Just something that people need to adjust their mind to. Great invention though, far better than upside down cups.

D

Deleted member 25172

Someone did ask me if with these things in place on the flag pole will they still be ok in qualifying competitions because I think some make the flag thicker ? ( not sure what affect on the hole it has )

Can only speak of the ones we have and to be honest, I think they should still be kept on moving forward. I’ve seen one putt which I’m 99.9% sure would’ve gone in if it weren’t for this gadget, but all in all it’s a great little thing.