Club comps

D

Deleted member 15344

Can only speak of the ones we have and to be honest, I think they should still be kept on moving forward. I’ve seen one putt which I’m 99.9% sure would’ve gone in if it weren’t for this gadget, but all in all it’s a great little thing.

Hope so as they look very good the two different ones I have seen but you never know with Congu , common sense at times is lacking

PaulS

Visit site
Which is why he has moved away from the subject to instead question WHY some people wants to have competitions.
I’m sure the why bit may be interesting, but would suggest that that is a topic for another thread in the case someone would like to discuss it further.

Sorry very true and what I was attempting to say wasn’t coming across very well, it’s all different times right now and cabin fever setting in. At least we are out smashing a ball all over the place and some are going forward ?

D

Deleted member 25172

Hope so as they look very good the two different ones I have seen but you never know with Congu , common sense at times is lacking

I mean, it’s unavoidable that they make the pin thicker as it’s another layer being put on it, but as said if its like the ones we have, it is not much of a difference. I’m sure though in the future we’ll have pins where this functionality will be built in the original pin.

See it every week basically with people that have sort of like ball retrievers that they stick down the hole, ruining the edges and people who rip the flag up to get the ball to jump out causing even more damage, all of which will hopefully be redundant moving forward.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
so how are they booking tee times ?

One or two of that I personally know play in roll ups and when it comes to medals they arrange for someone else to book them in.

One guy has asked me so many times to enter his card on the PSI terminal I now refuse. I did make the effort originally of sitting him down in front of the terminal getting him to do it on several occasions.

When it comes to checking the entries, very often his has not entered on to the system.

As one other guy said once "some people are just computer phobic ".

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
They'll just have to learn if they want to enter. No doubt that they can operate their TV remote and enter their CC pin.

One guy I can think off I doubt has a CC judging by the amount of cash he carries and what he does for a living:ROFLMAO:

Our biggest problem is with players who are in their dotage.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It’s interesting when you talk of contamination from cards when Government guidelines actually say you can’t catch Covid from post.

The doctors giving out info on the TV say the virus can stay on a hard surface for up to 3 days and paper for about a day. Now if a letter arrives in you post in a plastic or paper wrapper just think of all the other things it has been in contact with including the postman's hands who has touched countless other letterboxes and garden gates etc. He might be wearing rubber gloves to protect himself but whatever is on the glove will get transferred to the post.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Someone did ask me if with these things in place on the flag pole will they still be ok in qualifying competitions because I think some make the flag thicker ? ( not sure what affect on the hole it has )
Is there a standard thickness for pins? I've seen them all thicknesses, though I get what you say about something being 'added' to the pin won't have CONGU happy. :rolleyes:
We have pins with a large 'boss' at the base which is causing balls to pop out on certain random contacts with it. We're hoping to go back to full depth holes with a section of pipe insulation fixed to the bottom of the pin above the boss so that the ball settles just below green height. That's working well at some local Clubs here.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Our guys have made a gadget like 2 metal rings connected round the pin, you simply lift the top ring with you putter and it lifts the ball out.

We have these.
I played with a guy who constantly forgot to use his putter to lift it up using his hand instead.
I used my putter all the time and it was very simple.
He also picked my ball up when I blobbed and threw it to me.
It seems habits are hard to break.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We have far too many individual Competitions at our Club (some 70 to 80 not counting KO's) but I must say they do concentrate the mind & give purpose to what otherwise would just be a 'social' round. So many of our guys are really chomping at the bit & a number have not rejoined because of that lack.
So in order to address this I've gained the interest of some 20 guys (to start with) to play in a 'Sweep' this Sat. It also allows me to try out ways we may get back to running a selection of Comps as well as Supplementaries without handling or exchanging cards.
I'm using TeamApp which is a step up from WhatsApp, more like a simple type of Web-site. Information can be posted, images of cards can be up-loaded & results declared. It will be interesting to see how it progresses & how much effort is involved. Anyway it got a lot of guys interested very quickly.

D

Deleted member 16999

The doctors giving out info on the TV say the virus can stay on a hard surface for up to 3 days and paper for about a day. Now if a letter arrives in you post in a plastic or paper wrapper just think of all the other things it has been in contact with including the postman's hands who has touched countless other letterboxes and garden gates etc. He might be wearing rubber gloves to protect himself but whatever is on the glove will get transferred to the post.
There’s so much information out there on the virus and surfaces that I take precautions but I’m still very sceptical.
If it stays on cardboard etc for so long, why have the Government allowed fast food outlets to continue to be open and deliver to homes during the lockdown, the sheer amount of cardboard, paper and plastic bags involved in that business must be massive.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
We have foam in our holes, the ball drops down to the raised spindle so it’s all about 3/4 ball depth down, so easy to retrieve the ball without touching the flag. We just had the spindle before but sometimes the ball jumped back out!

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Someone did ask me if with these things in place on the flag pole will they still be ok in qualifying competitions because I think some make the flag thicker ? ( not sure what affect on the hole it has )

The only ruling that I have seen that has come out is that if a club has the liner sticking out of of the hole so that ball cannot drop in to the hole competitions will be non qualifying.

It made me look

I see that in the hole and for 3 inches above the hole must be constant diameter no greater 19mm.

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We have far too many individual Competitions at our Club (some 70 to 80 not counting KO's) but I must say they do concentrate the mind & give purpose to what otherwise would just be a 'social' round. So many of our guys are really chomping at the bit & a number have not rejoined because of that lack.
So in order to address this I've gained the interest of some 20 guys (to start with) to play in a 'Sweep' this Sat. It also allows me to try out ways we may get back to running a selection of Comps as well as Supplementaries without handling or exchanging cards.
I'm using TeamApp which is a step up from WhatsApp, more like a simple type of Web-site. Information can be posted, images of cards can be up-loaded & results declared. It will be interesting to see how it progresses & how much effort is involved. Anyway it got a lot of guys interested very quickly.
Will be interested to see how that pans out. If its a "sweep" what are you doing regarding entry fees and payouts

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Following on from Liverpoolphil's post about flagstick rules I am wondering if all the clubs that are using foam around the flagsticks/in the holes will have to remove it for a comp to be qualifying.

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
link was on page 2 of this thread, but text is :

CONGU has now discussed the implications for scores for handicap qualifying competitions (and supplementary scores) and can confirm the following:

Flagsticks/Holes: If clubs have made the decision to modify the depth of the hole to allow players to remove the ball without touching the flagstick, scores will be acceptable for either competition or supplementary score purposes. In such cases, the ball is considered holed if any part of the ball is below the surface of the putting green, even if not lodged against the flagstick.

Bunkers: If clubs introduce a Local Rule to allow preferred lies in bunkers, scores will be acceptable for competition or supplementary score purposes. (Using Model Local Rule E-3)

Please note: The distance for preferred lies in the bunker is limited to 6 inches and the area cannot be smoothed before placing.

As an alternative (but not combined with the preferred lies detailed above) if the condition of bunkers is so poor that it interferes with the proper playing of the game, a club Committee may declare all bunkers to be Ground Under Repair, scores will be acceptable for competition or supplementary score purposes.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Will be interested to see how that pans out. If its a "sweep" what are you doing regarding entry fees and payouts
They BACs money to me for their 'Players Pot'.... £4..... £3 for the 18 holes.... £1 for the 2's pot. I maintain a balance & will payout a little later. Adjusting H/caps on a 'Society basis' 1st loses 2 2nd loses 1 shot