Club comps

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Will be interested to see how that pans out. If its a "sweep" what are you doing regarding entry fees and payouts
We too are going to start a "virtual swindle" this weekend. The "Organiser" will collect names prior to the day, and will keep a record of entry fees, winnings, and "handicap adjustments". There'll be a (probably) BACS reckonning of money in due course. And for those who come last on each occasion, there'll be a mass "walk of shame" when gatherings are allowed and the bar has reopened again.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
We just had an email with a Date for our senior Open which should have been early/Mid May.. end of Sept is the new date, so they Ob expect to be able to play comp by the end of the season

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Why on earth would they?

because of what it say in The Rules re the diameter of the flagstick.

Ie it must not be less than 19 mm 3" above and below the hole top and there must not be anything designed to act in a shock absorbing manner.

The change in the rules only allows for the depth of the hole to be modified

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I am interested in what they say about the things that clubs are putting on flagsticks and in the holes which have increased the diameter of the flagstick or help to stop it the ball bouncing out. Quite a few members are saying their clubs have got insulating foam round the flagstick to reduce the depth instead of turning the hole liner upside down.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I am interested in what they say about the things that clubs are putting on flagsticks and in the holes which have increased the diameter of the flagstick or help to stop it the ball bouncing out. Quite a few members are saying their clubs have got insulating foam round the flagstick to reduce the depth instead of turning the hole liner upside down.
Normally these foam inserts are set such that the top is an inch or so below the ground level
"A method of inserting the hole liner to be used that means all of the ball does not fall below the surface of the putting green and can be easily retrieved by handling the ball only"
But
"The Committee may decide to have the hole liner sitting above the surface of the green and treat a ball as holed if it strikes the liner "

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
As I mentioned before we are back playing competitions.
Entry is made by ringing the pro which is obviously very simple.
You pick your card up from the shop 15 minutes before your round.
You mark your own card which is then checked with your partner without swapping cards.
The pro enters the scores as you read them out.
Can’t be any easier than that.

Luckily we rarely have more than 50 in a comp.
We have all had accounts set up with money taken from acc for comp
Register on HDID, we close registration two days before comp and I do the draw, we never allow players to pick their own partners.
At the end of comp both players run through the grosses (they have each other's card)
They then go home and both players email me in simple spread sheet with players scores and markers gross only.
I then enter onto system checking both cards show same scores.

Like I said, lucky in one respect because at moment not more than 50 playing and they are happy to wait a day or two for result. We are running several NQs just to check systems, two done so far and only a few have resulted in just sending me 18 numbers.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
? are people that desperate to play competitions?

Why can’t people just look at the situation we are in right now and just take in the fact we are very lucky to be able to play golf at all instead of trying to find a way to play a competition.

Right now our members are enjoying the relaxed social game with no stresses and are appreciating the game and course a lot more.

IMO if anyone is finding their hobby stressful and not relaxing then they have chosen the wrong hobby.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Normally these foam inserts are set such that the top is an inch or so below the ground level
"A method of inserting the hole liner to be used that means all of the ball does not fall below the surface of the putting green and can be easily retrieved by handling the ball only"
But
"The Committee may decide to have the hole liner sitting above the surface of the green and treat a ball as holed if it strikes the liner "

The latter is not acceptable for competitions and it is competitions and Supplementary Scores that I am considering hence my query about whether or not the foam inserts are going to be allowed for comps.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
The latter is not acceptable for competitions and it is competitions and Supplementary Scores that I am considering hence my query about whether or not the foam inserts are going to be allowed for comps.
I assume you mean this from the CONGU guidance

Flagsticks/Holes: If clubs have made the decision to modify the depth of the hole to allow players to remove the ball without touching the flagstick, scores will be acceptable for either competition or supplementary score purposes. In such cases, the ball is considered holed if any part of the ball is below the surface of the putting green, even if not lodged against the flagstick.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I assume you mean this from the CONGU guidance

Flagsticks/Holes: If clubs have made the decision to modify the depth of the hole to allow players to remove the ball without touching the flagstick, scores will be acceptable for either competition or supplementary score purposes. In such cases, the ball is considered holed if any part of the ball is below the surface of the putting green, even if not lodged against the flagstick.

Yes, but that does not say clubs can modify the diameter of the flagstick which is what is happening with the foam pieces albeit only from about 1.25 inches below the top of the hole.

Not to worry any further I think I will not.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's not changing the diameter of the flag, it's raising the bottom of the hole.

Yes I think I am starting to think that way too. Thanks.

I will take a better look when I play tomorrow. As I am the only one at the club to think about these things I will probably keep quiet anyway. There are enough other problems to worry about.

Only Supplementary Scores to be concerned about for the time being. Looks like we are not restarting comps for some time yet due to the demand for tee times whilst we are only allowed 2 balls.