Club comps

Fish

Banned
Visit site
One of the 'niceties' where I play is that the ladies get good representation on the committee with places for the Lady Captain and Lady Vice Captain. On our current committee they also have one of the 3 elected members.

Ditto. Our lady captain & her VC is automatically on the main committee, but anyone can put themselves forward to be on the main committee and many ladies are actively involved in the sub committees that each main committee member is assigned to.

It should only be this way to get balance.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I played today but the juices just weren’t flowing,although a qualifying comp it just didn’t feel like it in a 2 ball.
Need more comps to get the edge back

My mate and I always play match and we are both fairly competitive so it keeps an edge going.
Currently 2-1 down, roll on tomorrow.
One of the niceties is that we both like playing off the whites so hopefully we will be comp prepared.

D

Deleted member 16999

Our club are insisting that the golf powers that be haven't said comps are ok yet so have no plan to start them up. Why are others doing this?

PS I'm not bothered, as I've decided not to play in ours anyway.
Ask them why England Golf have published the guidance for Comps then?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Our Saturday roll up has got their own knockout 18 hole matchplay event going and even a round robin 9 hole league for the midweek evenings so we've got a degree of unofficial competition going. The club are aware (although inadvertently) and the club captain is on board with it (and in it). I know the ladies are doing something similar too. It does definitely add an extra edge other than just knocking it round. Even an friendly matchplay or stableford comp doesn't have any real intensity but with a decent pot up for grabs for the 18 hole winner there is something worth playing for

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The problem at many golf clubs is they are run by men for men and women get castigated if they dare to dissent.

Usually justified with euphemisms such as this.
Clubs may be "run by men" but some ladies sections do their own thing. At a club that I used to be a member of the ladies had their own finances. The entries for the ladies open went into the ladies section and not the club.

Club I am at has a fairly strong ladies section and the club captain is a woman, which I see as a good thing.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
We are not going ahead at the moment simply because we are not ready to do so.

Our PSI system is located in a part of the club house that is closed completely and we will have to develop systems of entry and score card recording in accordance with the guidelines e.g. markers and officials should not be touching the scorecards.

I've had a thought on the scorecard thing. Why not get members to download a golf app with score card that they can fill in as they go round and post to a FB page on completetion?

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I've had a thought on the scorecard thing. Why not get members to download a golf app with score card that they can fill in as they go round and post to a FB page on completetion?

You can fill in your own cards within whatever system your club uses, well I know you can on System2000 & Inteligent Golf, not sure about Masters, so the mechanism is already there.

Each card only needs to be dated and titled, the Pro, or whoever over see’s the competition results simply imports the nett results to Excel and formats them into order.

Each player has to transfer his Score card to the system by say midnight the same day.

No cross contamination, everyone must keep their cards in case there are any queries.

Nothing is difficult to get around if you really want to make something happen.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You can fill in your own cards within whatever system your club uses, well I know you can on System2000 & Inteligent Golf, not sure about Masters, so the mechanism is already there.

Each card only needs to be dated and titled, the Pro, or whoever over see’s the competition results simply imports the nett results to Excel and formats them into order.

Each player has to transfer his Score card to the system by say midnight the same day.

No cross contamination, everyone must keep their cards in case there are any queries.

I am not sure what you are saying

Your first line lacks clarity.

Are you saying every body should use their smartphone to record scores and upload to the clubs system , this method has been available for some time where I play.

It has the basic flaw in that there are a lot of people that I know and probably a lot others that do not own a smartphone. I have few mates whose mobile phone is still something like a Nokia 3330.

I know for a Supplementary what is being proposed is that players take a photo and email the photo to a responsible member of the club. This means that that players can chose a smartphone or a digital camera and even do it when they get home but even then at a last check 5% percent of our members appear not to have a computer.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I am not sure what you are saying

Your first line lacks clarity.

Are you saying every body should use their smartphone to record scores and upload to the clubs system , this method has been available for some time where I play.

It has the basic flaw in that there are a lot of people that I know and probably a lot others that do not own a smartphone. I have few mates whose mobile phone is still something like a Nokia 3330.

I know for a Supplementary what is being proposed is that players take a photo and email the photo to a responsible member of the club. This means that that players can chose a smartphone or a digital camera and even do it when they get home but even then at a last check 5% percent of our members appear not to have a computer.

No, in your own clubs system, depending on what that is, ie Inteligent Golf etc, you can add/fill in a round yourself. I used to do this with my social rounds and embellish certain stats, like FIR, GIR, Putts etc.

So you can access it no different to how you currently book.

In IG you go to My Golf, then there’s a highlight to Add a non-competition Round, then fill in the prompts, date, tee etc, then the card pops up and you fill it in and save it, simples.

DEE5335E-1EB9-4CA8-A958-A9CE0753A145.jpeg

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No, in your own clubs system, depending on what that is, ie Inteligent Golf etc, you can add/fill in a round yourself. I used to do this with my social rounds and embellish certain stats, like FIR, GIR, Putts etc.

So you can access it no different to how you currently book.

In IG you go to My Golf, then there’s a highlight to Add a non-competition Round, then fill in the prompts, date, tee etc, then the card pops up and you fill it in and save it, simples.

View attachment 30845

I am fully aware that a player can add a non competition round to their own record but the discussion is about club comps ie competition rounds.

I know that IG has the facility to record a round as it progresses on a smart phone and for it to be uploaded to the competition data without the need for the PSI screen.

A I said there are are lot of players that do not have smart phones so it all about coming up with a system that everybody is capable of using in one way or another.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I am fully aware that a player can add a non competition round to their own record but the discussion is about club comps ie competition rounds.

I know that IG has the facility to record a round as it progresses on a smart phone and for it to be uploaded to the competition data without the need for the PSI screen.

A I said there are are lot of players that do not have smart phones so it all about coming up with a system that everybody is capable of using in one way or another.

Jeez, I was initially responding to the queries made by some who were stating that they couldn’t start comps because of the cross contamination of cards being handed in etc. I simply responded by stating that they didn’t need to, if the PSI was also out of bounds, then they could go home and use whatever they use (pc, laptop, tablet etc) to book a tee, and put their score on the system in this way, how is that so hard to understand, Nothing to do with smart phones, and the tone of your reply stinks!!

It’s still English up there isn’t it ?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Re the bit in bold, I’m not sure that’s entirely correct as it’s the membership most purchase, but in reality it’s a 2 day membership apart from holidays, most 7 day members work I’d suggest, and if a Club didn’t have 5 day or Senior memberships some Clubs would struggle.

Seniors, especially, have put a lot in to the Clubs over the years and giving them a certain time midweek when the course is quiet is no real hardship.

It may not be to you but is to some, especially those who works shifts and weekends, not everyone works mon - fri 9-5 these days

At my last club it got to the point where I could barely get a game midweek till late in the day due to how large the senior section had become and that it thought it owned the course completely midweek but could get a game any weekend morning

D

Deleted member 25172

Impossible. There is no way to get comps up and running again. It simply isn’t physically possible to get a score from a score card transferred in a safe way into a computer. [insert whatever smiley you feel like here].

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Impossible. There is no way to get comps up and running again. It simply isn’t physically possible to get a score from a score card transferred in a safe way into a computer. [insert whatever smiley you feel like here].

Of course there is, if you do it at home yourself!

D

Deleted member 25172

Of course there is, if you do it at home yourself!

Impossible. Cannot be done. No way even trying to find a way... ???

I’m being ironic. Amazed that some people are actively looking for ways in order to not being able to do it.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site

Impossible. Why do you say that?

We are planning to restart competitions next week. We use Handicapmaster and they have very quickly produced a very workable system. I set up the competition and, after players have played they will take their card home, log in to Masterscoreboard (their equivalent of HowDidIdo) and enter their scores. When all scores have been entered and checked I will finalise the competition. There will be the very occasional player with no internet access at all for whom we will have alternative arrangements. According to our contact with members you can count those in that situation on the fingers of one hand.

PS missed your late insertion of irony.

PaulS

Visit site
Competitions will be a month or so away for most clubs , expect it will be July for most , Congo released rules just before lockdown which will be relevant now

But right now we should just be thankfully we are playing at all when many other sports aren’t.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Competitions will be a month or so away for most clubs , expect it will be July for most , Congo released rules just before lockdown which will be relevant now

But right now we should just be thankfully we are playing at all when many other sports aren’t.

So what about single Matchplay knockout comps?