Club comps

Fish

Banned
Visit site
This is good practice IMO and hopefully a model more clubs will move to.

I know from discussions with some other mutual bods we both know up there in Scotland, that you don’t have as many comps anyway at weekends.

You don’t have all the board comps that we have coming out of our ears every week during the season with medals in between down here, so the availability for shared tee times in Scotland on Saturdays or over the weekends for basic qualifiers I’d have thought would be much more accessible?

I think it can only be down to each club to decide on, I don’t think a one glove fits all approach would work, as some clubs have very strong ladies sections, so like ours, it’s hard to get tee times for qualifiers and were constantly full (180+) within hours of the booking system opening, so opening that up to the ladies who are 150+ strong would compact an already struggling Comp day.

I appreciate there wouldn’t be a surge of ladies joining the men on Saturdays, but we’re all currently trying to stop the club from taking on more members due to tee time availability being overstretched.

Our ladies have a secondary competition on Sundays that they play in and amongst the general membership playing socially, this is for the working ladies and those on shifts when they can’t attend their specific Ladies Day on Tuesdays.

I’ve never heard any grumbles from that, so if theirs room for ladies to join the men on Saturdays who would then be playing in each of their own Comps, I don’t see an issue with that either, I reckon you’d possible see a handful at most anyway.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think it can only be down to each club to decide on, I don’t think a one glove fits all approach would work, as some clubs have very strong ladies sections, so like ours, it’s hard to get tee times for qualifiers and were constantly full (180+) within hours of the booking system opening,

Wow can I join? Our Saturday medal booking is full within two minutes of the booking system opening. If you have not good broadband speed you have no chance.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Wow can I join? Our Saturday medal booking is full within two minutes of the booking system opening. If you have not good broadband speed you have no chance.

Oh it’s full-ish Within minutes, with a scattering of late pm tees taking their time, I’d say the AM tee times are gone in 10 minutes max!!

At Woodhall it’s scary quick to get tee times.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am so thankful we dont have tee times under normal conditions, just turn up and get in the queue if there is one:)

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am so thankful we dont have tee times under normal conditions, just turn up and get in the queue if there is one:)

One of the reasons we went to all booked tee times was that players were queuing from about 5.30 in the morning for a 7.30 opening on a Saturday morning.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Spoke to our captain tonight and no plans in the imminent future to start competitions until we can get to three balls. Plans afoot to allow visitors at some point in the next few weeks which will at least get some revenue in. When comps do start they are looking at trying to get through as many majors as possible first

D

Deleted member 16999

Why can’t 2 Balls play Ind Stab or Stroke? Or hold a Comp over 2 days to get the entries in?

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One of the reasons we went to all booked tee times was that players were queuing from about 5.30 in the morning for a 7.30 opening on a Saturday morning.
This time of year, our first tee opens at 6:30. It used to be 7am, but the extra 30 mins makes a difference .
Thankfully we would be very unlikely to go to permanent tee bookings.

Diamond

Visit site
Because if the women played off the white tees they would not win very often.
There would be a two tee comp and compensation shots to the ladies at mine .
But mainly because they don’t want to play with the men .
That’s just my personal experience.

I am new to the sport of golf so apologies but with amateur golf there are no pros. So have one set of tees for all and use the handicap system. It may mean men may gain a few shots off the white Tees and ladies gain even more shots but at least everyone can play the same competitions.

Diamond

Visit site
Each set of tees has a gender specific SSS (or Course Rating and Slope after WHS).
But it seems that the ladies were just better players on the day.

What I don’t understand is why there are gender specific tees when there is a handicap system.
I also don’t understand why the handicaps start at 28 when the reality is a novice is playing a good round at +36.
But I suppose with etiquette, social separation and the chance to play sport and dress smartly there are some things one has to endure. Roll on winter when I can get a tee time at Any time I want.

Diamond

Visit site
Can't do that.

There's such a huge difference in abilities, not one length of golf course can be suitable for all.
Some golfers drive the ball 100 yards, some 300 (both extremes) , they need different sets of tees for the course to be challenging and enjoyable for all.

I agree with that socially but we are talking competitions. The people driving it 100 yards will have a big handicap for the comps off the white tees or is your point that men are scared to allow women to enter their comps and women want to play in men’s comps and have their own comps. If a lady is an 8 handicapper off the red tees and 18 off the white tees what’s the problem just have white tees.

sunshine

Visit site
A lot of hard work has been done over the last two years to open up more and more comps for everyone to play - the only people that refused were the ladies.

The recent week was the straw that broke the camels back - everyone in the club understands that right now whilst it’s 9 holes only and 2 balls we needed to open up to everyone, as soon as the membership saw that there was only one reserved booking for 4 hours it all kicked off. They refused to make any sacrifice and just expected things to be normal.

Sounds familiar. I just don't get it :rolleyes:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am new to the sport of golf so apologies but with amateur golf there are no pros. So have one set of tees for all and use the handicap system. It may mean men may gain a few shots off the white Tees and ladies gain even more shots but at least everyone can play the same competitions.
Most Ladies off the whites could not handle the length.
Most would not make the fairways on some holes.
So a big redesign of the course would be needed.
Men off the reds is to short and not a challenge. But some may like the shorter course.
There is a reason men and women don’t compete in most professional sports against each other.
Physically men are much stronger and would win most of the time.
That goes for amateur sports also. Inc golf.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I agree with that socially but we are talking competitions. The people driving it 100 yards will have a big handicap for the comps off the white tees or is your point that men are scared to allow women to enter their comps and women want to play in men’s comps and have their own comps. If a lady is an 8 handicapper off the red tees and 18 off the white tees what’s the problem just have white tees.
Why would a good lady golfer off 8 want to put her hcap up 10 shots and play off a set off tees that are to long for her to enjoy her golf.
That just dosnt make sense.
True equality may say we should all use the same tees but common sense is needed.
What about older men who only drive it 100yds if they want to play competitive golf they must play of the whites at my club.
Most women I know don’t want to play in Saturday comps but a handful do while keeping their Tuesday comp women only.

Diamond

Visit site
Interesting comments. It sounds like red tees are for anyone who can’t hit the ball as far rather than gender.
If this is the case again could you not classify a competition as red tees and white tees?

Just to confuse matters I played off yellow tees to get my handicap which doesn’t make sense if the handicap is for competitions and these competitions are played off white tees.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Interesting comments. It sounds like red tees are for anyone who can’t hit the ball as far rather than gender.
If this is the case again could you not classify a competition as red tees and white tees?

Just to confuse matters I played off yellow tees to get my handicap which doesn’t make sense if the handicap is for competitions and these competitions are played off white tees.
My course is quite a long one so I only play comps that are off the yellows. The club runs comps with trophies etc on a Sunday off the white tees but social comps on a Saturday off the yellows. That keeps my handicap active, everything is adjusted to take account of the different tees, and I get to enjoy playing in the comps. It is a good system imo.

Ask at your club. You never know, they may run some comps off the yellows and you are just not aware of it.

Incidentally, on your first point, I believe in many other countries they do talk about tees in the fashion you mention. Gender based tees are less of an issue, you just play off the tee colour that suits. I think our system, ingrained, is not healthy for the game.