Club comps

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Bit surprised by the fact that a club closes tee times to women for run of the mill club comps in the first place. Where I play there is a ladies comp running concurrently with the men's comp even when there is major men's trophy comp being run except for the club Championships, Opens and similar.

Sadly still quite common. At my old club they ran some comps concurrently but mainly men only comps on Saturday or Sunday.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What’s the situation with bunkers?
If that is a genrral question rather than one about the club running comps and nobody has answered the question

The club can just accept the state of bunkers as is
The club can adopt a local rule which is essentially lift clean and place with 6"
I think the latter as been posted on the rules thread.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So much BS posted too, very depressing reading for someone who just thinks her £1400 should allow her to play on either of the two days a week she doesn’t work.
My eldest daughter left my club because she wanted to play in the ladies comps The ladies refused to hold their comps on anything other than "their morning",although they eventually gave in to a new comp for the "working woman" just before she left the club.She did used to play most weekends, but she wanted the chance to enter the board comps for the ladies. She was though able to enter the limited number of board comps open to all.
We don't have tee times for 99% of the time and any 7 day member can play anytime as long there isn't a tee reservation for certain comps (league matches, mixed friendlies and the ladies morning on their weekday morning).
Just as some men don't want women on the course at the weekend, so you have women who refuse to accept what equality really means and insist on their weekday morning tee reservation when in all probability it's a wasted weekly reservation.
Currently everything is suspended, and tee booking in place via the web site for every tee time.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
My eldest daughter left my club because she wanted to play in the ladies comps The ladies refused to hold their comps on anything other than "their morning",although they eventually gave in to a new comp for the "working woman" just before she left the club.She did used to play most weekends, but she wanted the chance to enter the board comps for the ladies. She was though able to enter the limited number of board comps open to all.
We don't have tee times for 99% of the time and any 7 day member can play anytime as long there isn't a tee reservation for certain comps (league matches, mixed friendlies and the ladies morning on their weekday morning).
Just as some men don't want women on the course at the weekend, so you have women who refuse to accept what equality really means and insist on their weekday morning tee reservation when in all probability it's a wasted weekly reservation.
Currently everything is suspended, and tee booking in place via the web site for every tee time.
That is reminiscent of a previous club I was at. The ladies had their competition on a Wednesday morning and that was that. That clearly excluded any working women and so few of that ilk joined or played in comps. In the end they accepted a compromise in that the comp would remain on a Wednesday but if a working woman wanted to enter they could play on a Saturday and enter their card. Not very sociable for those playing on a Saturday but it was a baby step forward. The restrictions were all of their own making. Having been at a few different clubs and seen similar the stories we are reciting are not unique.

My current club is much more forward thinking, proprietary so that may help. The ladies have a blocked out comp booking on a Saturday morning for about 1.5hrs (no more needed as that covers the membership size). The men have a 2 hour slot on a Sunday morning, Seniors the same on a Monday. Apart from those restrictions anyone can book any time. Equally, you can play in the comps outside of those blocked off times.

There are many clubs around me that close off entire days for mens comps, half days for ladies and seniors. That is just not right imo. If you are a 7 day member you should have equal booking rights, 7 days a week. I would end the ability of any section to block book tee times unless for very special occasions or comps.

No comps at our place for the forseeable future, not mentioned anyway.

D

Deleted member 16999

That is reminiscent of a previous club I was at. The ladies had their competition on a Wednesday morning and that was that. That clearly excluded any working women and so few of that ilk joined or played in comps. In the end they accepted a compromise in that the comp would remain on a Wednesday but if a working woman wanted to enter they could play on a Saturday and enter their card. Not very sociable for those playing on a Saturday but it was a baby step forward. The restrictions were all of their own making. Having been at a few different clubs and seen similar the stories we are reciting are not unique.

My current club is much more forward thinking, proprietary so that may help. The ladies have a blocked out comp booking on a Saturday morning for about 1.5hrs (no more needed as that covers the membership size). The men have a 2 hour slot on a Sunday morning, Seniors the same on a Monday. Apart from those restrictions anyone can book any time. Equally, you can play in the comps outside of those blocked off times.

There are many clubs around me that close off entire days for mens comps, half days for ladies and seniors. That is just not right imo. If you are a 7 day member you should have equal booking rights, 7 days a week. I would end the ability of any section to block book tee times unless for very special occasions or comps.

No comps at our place for the forseeable future, not mentioned anyway.
Re the bit in bold, I’m not sure that’s entirely correct as it’s the membership most purchase, but in reality it’s a 2 day membership apart from holidays, most 7 day members work I’d suggest, and if a Club didn’t have 5 day or Senior memberships some Clubs would struggle.

Seniors, especially, have put a lot in to the Clubs over the years and giving them a certain time midweek when the course is quiet is no real hardship.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Re the bit in bold, I’m not sure that’s entirely correct as it’s the membership most purchase, but in reality it’s a 2 day membership apart from holidays, most 7 day members work I’d suggest, and if a Club didn’t have 5 day or Senior memberships some Clubs would struggle.

Seniors, especially, have put a lot in to the Clubs over the years and giving them a certain time midweek when the course is quiet is no real hardship.
Sorry, I should have put that you should be able to book any time that your membership permits. If you are a 5 day member you should be able to book at any point during those 5 days. Someone may have quicker fingers than you to book but the ability to book any time should be equally there.

In terms of the seniors comment, some will have put time in, others will not. That is a bit of a blanket statement. Equally, if the course is generally quiet midweek then there is no need for them to block it out. It particularly irritates me that our seniors booking is on a Monday morning, even for Bank Holidays. That is an internal club issue but them having exclusive rights on a bank holiday Monday is unfair on working members.

D

Deleted member 16999

Sorry, I should have put that you should be able to book any time that your membership permits. If you are a 5 day member you should be able to book at any point during those 5 days. Someone may have quicker fingers than you to book but the ability to book any time should be equally there.

In terms of the seniors comment, some will have put time in, others will not. That is a bit of a blanket statement. Equally, if the course is generally quiet midweek then there is no need for them to block it out. It particularly irritates me that our seniors booking is on a Monday morning, even for Bank Holidays. That is an internal club issue but them having exclusive rights on a bank holiday Monday is unfair on working members.
Fully agree with the Bank Holiday sentiments!:eek:

Surely for the rest of the membership there is some merit knowing when the Seniors play, it means both them and the other members know when it’s busy and Seniors can book matches etc.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
At our place the Ladies have their own section and segregated tee times on Tuesdays and Thursdays. There aren't many of them and on those days the tee times outside of the ladies blocks are free for anyone to book. Ladies organise their own Ladies only comps during these times along with matches against other clubs.

Ladies are also welcome to play in the Club Competitions held on a Sunday, there are no restrictions to this, with the exception of the Club Championships, Scratch Salver and Mens Singles and Pairs matchplay, which are the only four exclusive men's competitions we hold. All other Sunday comps are mixed and Ladies are equally able to win as men are...(its not a separate ladies comp within the mens comp). I'd say that the ladies victories on a Sunday are pretty much in proportion to the number of ladies that play in the comps.

We seem to have two distinct demographic of Ladies at our club. Those ladies who ONLY play in their Tuesdsay/Thursday comps and those ladies who only play in the Sunday comps. Off the top of my head I reckon that 65% fall into the former category, 25% into the latter (mainly ladies whos husbands are also playing in the Sunday comp) and there are perhaps 10% that do both.

I think one of the dangers when the Mens/Ladies/Seniors sections all having their own fiefdoms, rules and dedicated tee times is that it easily leads into folks forgetting that they are all actually part of ONE CLUB. Very often people forget about the bigger picture and get caught up in protecting their own interests, often to the disadvantage of the club as a whole.

I understand why there may be a section of ladies who do not want to play with men....we are often foul creatures with less than gentlemanly habits, some ladies may just want the company of other ladies without men present...not a problem...clubs should give them the opportunity to have their own time....but they should also embrace the ladies as part of the wider club as they can only ultimately enrich the wider golfing experience of all club members.

rosie

Hacker
Visit site
What's the point of posting a question on here when the post gets hijacked with regurgitated arguments?
Absolute waste of time.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What's the point of posting a question on here when the post gets hijacked with regurgitated arguments?
Absolute waste of time.
Nobody knows or can give a good guess as to comps , it depends what the R number does.
So a sidetrack is inevitable when someone poses another question.
Just glad the course is open.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Nobody knows or can give a good guess as to comps , it depends what the R number does.
So a sidetrack is inevitable when someone poses another question.
Just glad the course is open.

A fair point. Guess it is up to individual clubs but the current 2 ball restriction would make it a very limited field. Practicality would suggest that, once the government allows meetings between more than one household then that would open the door to 3 balls and make it easier for clubs to organise competition golf whilst having the opportunity for a reasonable number of members to enter.

I guess clubs could be a bit original in their thinking though and have comps over 2 days as 2 balls to allow more to enter.

D

Deleted member 21258

Absolute waste of time.

Have you read the England Golf guidance :-

https://www.englandgolf.org/coronavirus-faqs/

Q – Can clubs run competitions?

A – It is recommended that non-competition play is used during the initial period of golf being played, and that stroke play competitions involving players in different groups are avoided.

If competitive stroke play is played, a method of scoring needs to be used that does not require any handling or exchanging of scorecards. Find the full guidance document here.

Failing that you need to ask your golf club, any other answer is an absolute waste of time(that is a joke btw):ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Hope that helps.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Absolute waste of time.

No date, I doubt we’ll start any qualifiers whilst we’re restricted to 2-balls, mainly because a qualifier attracts 180 attendees, which isn’t possible in a single day currently.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Is there an acceptable mobile application available for entering scores as far as England Golf & CONGU are concerned or do we have to wait for the new WHS software?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I only asked if anyone was playing qualifiers anytime soon ?

To get back on track to the original question

We are holding a meeting towards the end of June to discuss when we restart ordinary comps. All knockouts and Opens for 2020 have been cancelles

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Is there an acceptable mobile application available for entering scores as far as England Golf & CONGU are concerned or do we have to wait for the new WHS software?

England Golf, R& A and CONGU have allowed electronic posting of scores for some time. Also with Intelligent Golf you have been able to post your scores from a mobile for quite some time. The new version even allows a photo of the card to be taken and posted.

The problem is not every body has a smart phone and lot of those that do not have the paid for App.