Broken Hearted

irip

Head Pro
Visit site
When i first started playing this crazy game i cut my teeth at Traditions golf club in Pyrford Surrey.

It was a nice course kept in reasonable condition and ideal for a new player to learn a bit about the game and improve, a good mix of holes and relaxed staff all made for an enjoyable time for some young friends keen to learn a new sport. it would get quite wet with any rainfall but for a play and play was exactly what we wanted.

20 years on and a friend told me he had a free 2 ball there and did i fancy a game, i jumped at the chance and we booked a 4pm tee time yesterday.

On arrival the place was dead not a soul to be seen, ok its fathers day so maybe that is the reason its so quiet.

We did comment on the first how poor the tee box was, but no problem off we go.

The rest of the course was a disaster.

Every tee box was the same, uncut and uneven, and judging by the divots the tees had not been moved for a long time.

Every fairway was like the 2nd cut at most courses, so bad on several occasions we had to look for our ball.

Every green was brown and covered in some sort of moss.

On the back nine there was no rakes in any of the bunkers, and most were just mud no sand.

The 14th instead of having tee blocks had 2 yellow posts borrowed from a nearby water hazard.

Two fairways had rubbish and hardcore dumped in the middle of them with little fences roping them off.

Every water hazard and there are a lot, the water was green with bottles and other debris.

My beautiful course has been ruined, i was gutted when i got home and wished i had not gone back.

I have not felt like this since i was 15 and Jenny Hirst told me she liked my friend George more than me (its ok she got fat).

Sorry for the long post, but i still feel bad this morning.

Why oh why did i ever go back.

D

Deleted Member 1156

This is really quite upsetting Ian :mad:

Could she not go on a diet?

irip

Head Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the sympathy chaps, lol

yes me and George are still mates, bros before .... you get the picture

Not sure about Jenny i have not seen her for 20 years or more, but in my head she is still big:)

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
i played Traditions about eight years ago ,must say it wasnt the best course i have ever played ,uncut fairways on some of the holes and the greens werent the best i have played on .
it was pretty wet as well which didnt help.
looks like i was right not to return and have another go .

Hosel Fade

Tour Rookie
Visit site
When i first started playing this crazy game i cut my teeth at Traditions golf club in Pyrford Surrey.

It was a nice course kept in reasonable condition and ideal for a new player to learn a bit about the game and improve, a good mix of holes and relaxed staff all made for an enjoyable time for some young friends keen to learn a new sport. it would get quite wet with any rainfall but for a play and play was exactly what we wanted.

20 years on and a friend told me he had a free 2 ball there and did i fancy a game, i jumped at the chance and we booked a 4pm tee time yesterday.

On arrival the place was dead not a soul to be seen, ok its fathers day so maybe that is the reason its so quiet.

We did comment on the first how poor the tee box was, but no problem off we go.

The rest of the course was a disaster.

Every tee box was the same, uncut and uneven, and judging by the divots the tees had not been moved for a long time.

Every fairway was like the 2nd cut at most courses, so bad on several occasions we had to look for our ball.

Every green was brown and covered in some sort of moss.

On the back nine there was no rakes in any of the bunkers, and most were just mud no sand.

The 14th instead of having tee blocks had 2 yellow posts borrowed from a nearby water hazard.

Two fairways had rubbish and hardcore dumped in the middle of them with little fences roping them off.

Every water hazard and there are a lot, the water was green with bottles and other debris.

My beautiful course has been ruined, i was gutted when i got home and wished i had not gone back.

I have not felt like this since i was 15 and Jenny Hirst told me she liked my friend George more than me (its ok she got fat).

Sorry for the long post, but i still feel bad this morning.

Why oh why did i ever go back.

There was a change of ownership before I last played in autumn of last year and it in pretty rubbish nick then as well. Not the greatest course in the first place and also not particularly beginner friendly imo with the stupidly tight par 4 (who on earth thought the white tee at over 400 was a good idea wants shooting, Cat 1 players would struggle hitting that fairway with a mid iron followed by the tight par 3 early on and just plenty of water in general.

Guessing in the area word has spread about it now, was the shop open when you went or did you also have to pay at the bar?

irip

Head Pro
Visit site
There was a change of ownership before I last played in autumn of last year and it in pretty rubbish nick then as well. Not the greatest course in the first place and also not particularly beginner friendly imo with the stupidly tight par 4 (who on earth thought the white tee at over 400 was a good idea wants shooting, Cat 1 players would struggle hitting that fairway with a mid iron followed by the tight par 3 early on and just plenty of water in general.

Guessing in the area word has spread about it now, was the shop open when you went or did you also have to pay at the bar?
My friend had a free 2 ball and he sorted out with the pro shop, which is now back where it originally was.

As beginners we always played off the yellows and taught us all good course management

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Played it in December and was sorely disappointed with it. Exactly the same image on the first tee as you, a lot of fairways under water, dog mess everywhere, was a shame as it could be quite a good track. The only redeeming feature was the sausage bap before we went out.

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Trads was taken out of the Crown Group last year and is now in private ownership. Not been back there for a few months but I know the people involved so will have a look myself this week to see what is happening. I know they had big plans to renovate and improve things. I think they are still sharing green-keeping equipment with Pyrford.

irip

Head Pro
Visit site
Trads was taken out of the Crown Group last year and is now in private ownership. Not been back there for a few months but I know the people involved so will have a look myself this week to see what is happening. I know they had big plans to renovate and improve things. I think they are still sharing green-keeping equipment with Pyrford.
Sharing might be the wrong word, it looked like it had not been cut for weeks, i reckon pyrford are keeping all the equipment.

If i had paid a fiver i would of felt ripped off and asked for my money back, it looks like it is just being left with no money or work being put into it.

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
Pyrford is in really good nick at the moment, played it a couple of times in the last few weeks. I doubt there is much 'sharing' going on in that case!

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Pyrford is in really good nick at the moment, played it a couple of times in the last few weeks. I doubt there is much 'sharing' going on in that case!

Agreed - played there Friday evening and it was excellent. Will be back over next weekend to play after their club championships both days.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Looks like both the course and Jenny are not in the same condition as they were years back - life can be so disappointing!

Hosel Fade

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Never really though Traditions was that great. Very wet in winter and just seemed unkept and scruffy. Pyrford is a far better option to play if you have the chance

What do people make of the 18th there? Always thought that was a godawful way to finish because there is nowhere to hit a layup unless you either drive it in the left rough intentionally or start a hard cut over the water.

Quite like the rest of the course

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Found out today that Traditions is going to be renamed "Twisted Stone Golf Club" ........ answers as to why on a postcard to the usual address.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I remember reading a story online, might even have been a course review.

A group of people played a course they had played a couple of years before. They set out very early but were still suprised to see nobody around.

The course was overgrown, the tees, fairways and the greens long and slow. Bunkers with hardly any sand etc.

Turns out the course had closed down the year before.

I still cant work out why the flags would have still been in the holes, might have explained that in the story...