Best PARKLAND courses

• Thread starter Deleted Member 1156
  • Start date

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
It is most definitely not in the league of Castle Stuart, Royal Aberdeen, Turnberry etc

Anyone willing to travel all the way from south England to play Downfield on it's own needs their head examined. It's a nice course but it's not 100's of miles nice.

what about 138?

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It is most definitely not in the league of Castle Stuart, Royal Aberdeen, Turnberry etc

Anyone willing to travel all the way from south England to play Downfield on it's own needs their head examined. It's a nice course but it's not 100's of miles nice.

I do agree with this though, not in the same league as the ones mentioned and think Cabby would agree with that.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Fairmont/Kittocks all better than the Old....

You big daftie, I nearly choked on my lunch. :D

I think The Duke's is better than Fairmont and arguably may be the only parkland course in St Andrews. Fairmont is a Farmland course - which sounds more insulting than the intent of what I mean. It's comparable to The Castle Course and Kingsbarns in terms of ex-farmland location, and even though the Torrance and Kittocks are well maintained to pretty good quality, they ultimately consist of too many forgettably similar Par4 slogs. That said, if you took the Torrance and Kittocks and put them in a different part of the country, they'd go higher up in people's ratings I reckon.

I could write a lot about The Old Course in comparison to the rest but that's for another day or thread. I think it's impossible to rate which is best because best means different things to different people. The thing that I think is definitely special about all of St Andrews is that there's a course there for everyone's preference and ability. There's no other place like it to a golfer - we're pretty lucky.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
You big daftie, I nearly choked on my lunch. :D

I think The Duke's is better than Fairmont and arguably may be the only parkland course in St Andrews. Fairmont is a Farmland course - which sounds more insulting than the intent of what I mean. It's comparable to The Castle Course and Kingsbarns in terms of ex-farmland location, and even though the Torrance and Kittocks are well maintained to pretty good quality, they ultimately consist of too many forgettably similar Par4 slogs. That said, if you took the Torrance and Kittocks and put them in a different part of the country, they'd go higher up in people's ratings I reckon.

I could write a lot about The Old Course in comparison to the rest but that's for another day or thread. I think it's impossible to rate which is best because best means different things to different people. The thing that I think is definitely special about all of St Andrews is that there's a course there for everyone's preference and ability. There's no other place like it to a golfer - we're pretty lucky.

First time I played the dukes I loved it, shot 74 2nd time I had a nightmare and hated it, another purse better than the Old.

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
And still thinks it only has 2 good holes and the Dukes is better :rofl:

Even you're not that much of a wind up merchant

Read back on some of his posts and for your information I totally disagree with him regarding the old course.

I do also think that the Dukes is a cracking course especially when played from the black tees at 7500 yards

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Reading back on some of his posts and for your information is totally disagree with him regarding the old course.

I do also think that the Dukes is a cracking course especially when played from the black tees at 7500 yards

The Dukes is a great course but it's not anywhere in the league of TOC

D

Deleted member 15344

Sorry just realised it’s a Parkland - got loads of them around here , if going To travel that distance would have to be for a top 100 Course and links really. Got plans for a trip up in September so will be looking around for some courses

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
The Dukes is a great course but it's not anywhere in the league of TOC

Yet another caught up in the romance and nostalgia of the Old.

Holes 1, 3, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 15 , 16 and 18 are gash, drive and a flick to humugus greens are not my idea of great holes, others obviously not.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Yet another caught up in the romance and nostalgia of the Old.

Holes 1, 3, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 15 , 16 and 18 are gash, drive and a flick to humugus greens are not my idea of great holes, others obviously not.

Ha you got me, 10 years a member and you must know best I suppose. Crackpot, that'll do for me :rofl: