Best PARKLAND courses

• Thread starter Deleted Member 1156
  • Start date

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Jim did snigger when he told me his membership at St Andrews was £200 a year. :mad:Surprised they let an Englishman have such a good deal.;)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Jim did snigger when he told me his membership at St Andrews was £200 a year. :mad:Surprised they let an Englishman have such a good deal.;)

its not as straight forward as that though is it, the links ticket is cheap depending on where you live, but then you have to join one of the clubs i think

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
We had to be members of a club to qualify for a ticket but I think even that was pennies back in the day, though don't walk in to the bar with your wife :whistle:

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
its not as straight forward as that though is it, the links ticket is cheap depending on where you live, but then you have to join one of the clubs i think

Correct, cheapest and guaranteed if you live in St Andrews. NE Fife next cheapest and on waiting list then outwith that it stretches. I had acceptance to the waiting list in 2016 at no 647 and decided not to follow through, fees ranged for residents at around £200 to outwith NE Fife where I would fall at just over £600 plus you had to join a local club. There were limitations on how often you could play TOC and the Castle for your first few years also.

Local club membership was around the £200 mark

Unsure what it’s up to now

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Correct, cheapest and guaranteed if you live in St Andrews. NE Fife next cheapest and on waiting list then outwith that it stretches. I had acceptance to the waiting list in 2016 at no 647 and decided not to follow through, fees ranged for residents at around £200 to outwith NE Fife where I would fall at just over £600 plus you had to join a local club. There were limitations on how often you could play TOC and the Castle for your first few years also.

Local club membership was around the £200 mark

Unsure what it’s up to now

Jim is probably on junior rates.:)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I've Two mates that have links tickets one lives the other side of Dundee and his is the more expensive i think the other lives in St Michael's i think he said closer to 500 once you were in a club, but the ticket its self wasn't much more than £200/250 at most. one only gets his sign on rate this year so will be getting a round on the old more than once ... hopefully;)

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Yet another caught up in the romance and nostalgia of the Old.

Holes 1, 3, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 15 , 16 and 18 are gash, drive and a flick to humugus greens are not my idea of great holes, others obviously not.

While not as critical as this review I'm also struggling to see what TOC offers other than nostalgia and ambience. It is a brilliant opening tee shot, it is amazing playing down the last but the course itself? I also struggle to pick out a stand out hole. The history of the place is what sells it, not the course itself is my honest opinion. Then again that is only my opinion.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
While not as critical as this review I'm also struggling to see what TOC offers other than nostalgia and ambience. It is a brilliant opening tee shot, it is amazing playing down the last but the course itself? I also struggle to pick out a stand out hole. The history of the place is what sells it, not the course itself is my honest opinion. Then again that is only my opinion.

Yay...finally someone else who can see past the nostalgia and history.

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've Two mates that have links tickets one lives the other side of Dundee and his is the more expensive i think the other lives in St Michael's i think he said closer to 500 once you were in a club, but the ticket its self wasn't much more than £200/250 at most. one only gets his sign on rate this year so will be getting a round on the old more than once ... hopefully;)

You've to be a full ticket holder for 2 years before you get any points , locals get 30 pts, North East Fife residents get 20 pts and say Dundee get 10 pts bearing in mind the Old Course uses 4 pts per visitor at roughly £66 sign on.

I was 945 on the list when it opened and on elf my mate was 960 odd he paid his £150 to get on the list i didn't as i thought it would take 10 years that was 4 years ago he will get a full links ticket this year. I did pay the £150 2 years ago I'm 500 odd so could be at least 5 year before i get a ticket but if i join a club i can get a comp ticket which allows roughly 60 comps a year apart from The Old and the Castle , 2 of my mates are taking this option up this year its £260.

Hindsight is a great thing i should have paid the £150 and i'd be playing there this year.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Hindsight is a great thing i should have paid the £150 and i'd be playing there this year.[/QUOTE]

Why is it taking so long nowadays ?? is it due to all the US and Jap thrashers hogging up the courses ?? I've got a cally friendly over there near the end of March, £15 including a meal. :whoo:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

I can see your point. Definitely nothing like that first tee shot or the one down the last. The 17th is another that I couldn't wait to play and I didn't walk off the course disappointed with the remainder and NO I wasn't sold on the ambience, history and romance of the place. It was simply a course I wanted to play, did so and enjoyed

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I reckon the greatest golfer that has ever lived would rate it a little different to you

https://www.todaysgolfer.co.uk/news...open-legends-of-the-old-course/jack-nicklaus/

...and to quote Jack....when asked, What is his favourite hole, he replies....

There isn’t any particular hole that stands out for me. It’s just the golf course, as a whole, that invigorates me, because of what it is and what it represents.

Say no more, even Jack kens, ken.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I've got a cally friendly over there near the end of March, £15 including a meal. :whoo:

Surprised you are willing to pay that much for the 5th best course in St Andrews.