Best Parkland courses

• Thread starter Deleted member 1147
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1147

As we all know Links and Heathland courses dominate people's lists of best courses, but which are your favourite Parkland tracks?
I'm at a Parkland, and it would be useful to be able to compare and contrast my place with those others prefer to see what we get right and wrong.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hadley Wood
Woburn Marquess
Royal Norwich
The Buckinghamshire

Those 4 stand out immediately. Love a good parkland track in the summer. Something immaculately manicured and lush grass.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I've not played many "top" parkland courses at all so Ill offer a couple of alternative options -

Coventry Golf club - little stunner.
Cleobury Mortimer (more for the actual parkland setting than the course - stunning huge trees on the older holes)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've probably not played high level parkland but ones I've played and thought were very nice indeed, better than the norm:

The Roxburghe
Slaley Hall
Hexham
Oakdale (Harrogate)

D

Deleted member 17920

Gleneagles Kings and Queens

Woburn

Bearwood Lakes

Tandridge

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
a bit left field but i used to love Beckenham Place Park before the council shut it down.

Woburn & Bearwood Lakes are great courses

Westerham is very pretty but you need to be wary of one of the members

Hever Castle is nice as well

D

Deleted member 21258

In order from my favourite :-

Mount Juliet
Loch Lomond
Woburn Marquess
JCB
Thorndon Park
Hainault Forest (conditioning not great etc, was a council course, but some cracking layout holes on the course).

Edit from a pure conditioning point of view, almost the best anywhere Belfry

Last edited by a moderator:

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I would like to play Denham….I’ve heard it is pretty good and I presume a parkland?

Denham, in Bucks? I grew up in Denham and used to live next to it, but have only played it once. It’s not a bad course, we enjoyed playing it, but don’t recall anything to shout about. Some holes running alongside the aérodrome with some interesting planes, that’s about it.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
From your list I would take Hexham and Oakdale all day long and add Brancepeth Castle and possibly Castle Eden.
I've slapped myself for forgetting Brancepeth 😳. I played it in an Open last year for the first time, loved it. It's a quality place. We are booked in to play there again in another Open this May 😍.

Castle Eden is nice but not in the same category, for me. I can understand if others disagree.

D

Deleted member 17920

Surely Gleneagles is more heathland / moorland than parkland? The definitions can be subjective, I just don't see them that way.
I may be wrong but Gleneagles certainly didn't feel like a heathland and I cant remember seeing any heather on either course.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Others have already been mentioned so I won't repeat them but one that is absolutely fabulous and is barely mentioned is Bondhay.
[Edited to remove erroneous County!]

Last edited:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I may be wrong but Gleneagles certainly didn't feel like a heathland and I cant remember seeing any heather on either course.
I wouldn't go out on a limb on this, it just doesn't feel parkland to me 🤷‍♂️

I've just googled it and I'm seeing heathland mentioned a lot. The gleneagles website also describes it as heathland. You'll just have to go back and play it again to double check 😄

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Not played any of the big ones but the local ones I've been really impressed by are:

Pleasington (although arguably moorland and heathland in places)
Ormskirk
Stockport
Worsley (biased as I was a member briefly).