Best Parkland courses

• Thread starter Deleted member 1147
  • Start date

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Link road is the A414 not the A10
20 years ago so struggled to remember what it was called. That must go very close to the course, we used to go under a flyover for it down a lane when we went through were the course is now. One thing I do remember was the sheer amount of rubbish and building waste dumped on that land, the original owner must have made a killing.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
20 years ago so struggled to remember what it was called. That must go very close to the course, we used to go under a flyover for it down a lane when we went through were the course is now. One thing I do remember was the sheer amount of rubbish and building waste dumped on that land, the original owner must have made a killing.

yeah its not far away but not right on the boundary as i remember it (been a few years)

assume he got a decent chunk for the land, waited long enough for them to finally get permission to build on it mind

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
yeah its not far away but not right on the boundary as i remember it (been a few years)

assume he got a decent chunk for the land, waited long enough for them to finally get permission to build on it mind
So is the course between the 414 and the M1 ?

D

Deleted member 15344

No its the same side of both of them, the M1 is actually closer I think as it runs beside at one point

The 18th runs along the 414 and then goes under the m1 which is east of the course and right by a lot of the holes in the middle 6

You can hear the constant drone of cars once you come out of the trees , it’s the same as the noise from the m25 at Walton Heath , you also hear the constant buzzing of the huge leccy pylons going across the course

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The 18th runs along the 414 and then goes under the m1 which is east of the course and right by a lot of the holes in the middle 6

You can hear the constant drone of cars once you come out of the trees , it’s the same as the noise from the m25 at Walton Heath , you also hear the constant buzzing of the huge leccy pylons going across the course

isnt it just the local Leverstock Green road that you turn in off that runs alongside the 18th not the A414 link road? been a few years so may well be wrong

D

Deleted member 15344

isnt it just the local Leverstock Green road that you turn in off that runs alongside the 18th not the A414 link road? been a few years so may well be wrong

Sorry yes it’s the 4147 ( Hemel To St Albans ) road that goes along the 18th - the 414 is a bit further north and don’t think it’s directly next to any hole 👍

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
No its the same side of both of them, the M1 is actually closer I think as it runs beside at one point
Just looked at the map, it wasn't the 414 I was thinking of, that was just the reg a road between St Albans and Leavestock Green. I may be long gone, but I'm sure there was a dual carriage way slip road between the M1 and the M25 some 20 years ago, so may be long gone
Had a look at my old road map from 2000. It was called the M10, look like it doesn't exist anymore and is now part of the 414 so makes sense now.

Last edited:

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Just looked at the map, it wasn't the 414 I was thinking of, that was just the reg a road between St Albans and Leavestock Green. I may be long gone, but I'm sure there was a dual carriage way slip road between the M1 and the M25 some 20 years ago, so may be long gone
Had a look at my old road map from 2000. It was called the M10, look like it doesn't exist anymore and is now part of the 414 so makes sense now.

yep they turned the M10 into a small part of the 414 years back

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Was a member at Bearwood Lakes when I lived in Arborfield. Fantastic course.. You can only play if invited by a member though.
I was in Arborfield in 75/76, the AAC. Bearwood Lakes didn't exist, not that it mattered, golf and golf clubs were beyond our wildest imaginings back then.

sunshine

Visit site

Never knew wikipedia catered for motorway buffs ;):
M10 motorway (Great Britain) - Wikipedia

And here is an image of the course alongside the M1

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-03-07 115618.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-03-07 115618.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 12

IainP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
I always associate good parkland courses with large ancient trees, so Thorndon Park I have found to be excellent, very under rated and very surprised it doesn’t feature in top 100s.
I enjoyed Stoke Park for the same reason, Rolls of Monmouth has some wonderful parkland holes. All these courses are in the grounds of stately homes so they are parkland in more ways than one. Incidentally this is why inland France has lots of wonderful courses as many are built in the grounds of Chateaux.
Come to think of it St.Pierre has great parkland holes too.
Definitely not claiming 'best' or 'great', but where I play does have plenty of ancient trees, and is in the grounds of an estate. Present owners do seem to be spending some money now with things like paths being sorted so hopefully bringing up some weaker ancillary parts in step with how the course already was.
Some easy to access pics here.
https://www.golfnow.co.uk/courses/-3310-heythrop-park-resort-golf-club-details

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Definitely not claiming 'best' or 'great', but where I play does have plenty of ancient trees, and is in the grounds of an estate. Present owners do seem to be spending some money now with things like paths being sorted so hopefully bringing up some weaker ancillary parts in step with how the course already was.

I went there many years ago when it was the Nat West Training Centre.... must get over for a game

D-S

Visit site
I’ve played it, probably about 4 years ago. It certainly is Parkland with some really interesting holes - I enjoyed it. A lot of development was going on with the hotel build. Certainly has a great future.

sunshine

Visit site
I think Hertfordshire to me is the epitome of classic parkland. So many country estates with landscaped grounds, former deer parks etc, that are now golf clubs. Brocket Hall, Moor Park, Hanbury Manor, the list goes on.