Best PARKLAND courses

• Thread starter Deleted Member 1156
  • Start date

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
[video=youtube;H07DJRGr-0A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H07DJRGr-0A[/video]

My favourite parkland. Just a stunning place to play golf. playable for all. Fairways are wide but the course can be stretched for the big hitters.

Fantastic course. Need to play it again as when we went it was really windy and wet.

My friend shot level par gross that day, one of the best rounds I have ever witnessed.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
So we have discussed Parkland, Links, Heathland and Downland courses
we are missing at least 1 category.............Clifftop Courses.

Sherringham, Royal Cromer etc are great places to play and are more linksey than Parklandy.

My favourite Parkland course? Huntercombe
Isn’t Huntercombe heathland ?:)

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site

I would say no, plenty trees, no heather, odd bit of gorse, Im playing it on Tuesday and ill have a revaluation :ears:

Lifted from their website

"Originally a heathland course, the fairways are now mostly bounded by mature trees and carefully managed woodland, with bluebells an added peril in the Spring. Otherwise, the Course has not much changed over the last century and Willie Park Jnr would today have little difficulty in recognising his creation. There is plenty of gorse, only 13 sand bunkers and over 100 grass pots are strategically placed to make all golfers think carefully about their strategy. The Club prides itself on its immaculate fairways, with their “immemorial turf” always a delight to play on, and on its challenging greens. These are all of the finest quality, running fast and true; the varied contouring of the greens keeps all golfers on their toes and from start to finish offer a fine test of putting skill and nerve."

so you were correct from a historical perspective, but its parkland now

Fragger 1 : Richart 0 :)

Last edited:

Fish

Banned
Visit site

Originally a heathland course, the fairways are now mostly bounded by mature trees and carefully managed woodland, with bluebells an added peril in the Spring. Otherwise, the Course has not much changed over the last century and Willie Park Jnr would today have little difficulty in recognising his creation. There is plenty of gorse!

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I would say no, plenty trees, no heather, odd bit of gorse, Im playing it on Tuesday and ill have a revaluation :ears:

Lifted from their website

"Originally a heathland course, the fairways are now mostly bounded by mature trees and carefully managed woodland, with bluebells an added peril in the Spring. Otherwise, the Course has not much changed over the last century and Willie Park Jnr would today have little difficulty in recognising his creation. There is plenty of gorse, only 13 sand bunkers and over 100 grass pots are strategically placed to make all golfers think carefully about their strategy. The Club prides itself on its immaculate fairways, with their “immemorial turf” always a delight to play on, and on its challenging greens. These are all of the finest quality, running fast and true; the varied contouring of the greens keeps all golfers on their toes and from start to finish offer a fine test of putting skill and nerve."

so you were correct from a historical perspective, but its parkland now

Fragger 1 : Richart 0 :)
Once a heathland always a heathland.:ears:

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Don't think I've played that many tbh.

Standout would be Bearwood Lakes, a superb course in a beautiful setting. And I'm 100% on rounds played and hole in ones :)

In the NW I guess Preston and Pleasington would be the 2 standout Parkland courses? Never really sure of the distinction between Moorland and Parkland (e.g. I'd have Manchester as a Moorland but could be wrong?)

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I wouldn't call Rosemount parkland either. I think its very much as close to a heathland course as Scotland has to offer. That and Ladybank.

Hmm! Does a course have to have deciduous trees and not evergreens to be parkland?

If Blairgowrie is not parkland, I would say that Downfield was a lovely course. Played it in about September. A lovely layout and quite spectacular in places. It was very wet at some places on the back 9 but it had been a very wet week.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I would say that Downfield was a lovely course. Played it in about September. A lovely layout and quite spectacular in places. It was very wet at some places on the back 9 but it had been a very wet week.

With Downfield it's an on going problem, not that it's the course or the greenkeeping staffs fault, it's purely it's demographic and the weather in general, when was the last time you seen an Open Championship played on burnt fairways like the Dual in the Sun in 77, it's just how it is nowadays, summers are very wet.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Hmm! Does a course have to have deciduous trees and not evergreens to be parkland?

If Blairgowrie is not parkland, I would say that Downfield was a lovely course. Played it in about September. A lovely layout and quite spectacular in places. It was very wet at some places on the back 9 but it had been a very wet week.

I'm not saying I'm correct. Just an opinion, you may be spot on with your assessment/opinion of Rosemount.

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
With Downfield it's an on going problem, not that it's the course or the greenkeeping staffs fault, it's purely it's demographic and the weather in general, when was the last time you seen an Open Championship played on burnt fairways like the Dual in the Sun in 77, it's just how it is nowadays, summers are very wet.

That's one of the main reasons I have a membership at a Links course #nopuddlestobeseen

Andy

Tour Winner
Visit site

2013 @ Muirfield

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Links I just never got, thought they were bland. That included St Andrews old. Then I played two in Ireland, Enniscrone and Carne on the back of advice on here. They were just stunning. More character, more of a test. The weather was bloody freezing at times but just stunning.

Re the OP. What do you class as best.

Thought Kings Lynn for £60 was fantastic. At times tighter than a ducks buttocks.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
No love for the Brabazon? Very good course with some of the best greens you’ll ever putt on.

Little Aston, smashing course
West Linton is a gem, tough finish
Glenbervie, always immaculate
The Dukes St Andrews, suffers from being not links in a links area but decent

In the NW, Preston, Bolton, Pleasington all quality course and courses I’d consider parkland

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Does it matter? They both stand out as bad holes on an otherwise decent course

When the Scottish Amateur was there in 2014 a player slagged off the 16th, he was promptly informed, is that because you've bogied it 4 days on the trot. :whistle: