Best PARKLAND courses

• Thread starter Deleted Member 1156
  • Start date

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Yes, would go back in a heartbeat.

Other obvious ones I've played are the courses at Sunningdale and Gleneagles.

Less obvious contenders.... Mar Hall, Newmacher

Interesting question, we seem better served for great links courses than great parkland ones. Or is that just a reflection of courses I've chosen to go and play?

Is it though?

I'd argue its more moorland, queens is almost heathland in places.

Two decent but not great parkland courses - Haggs Castle and Pollok.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Links courses are the oldest type of golf course and the ones you will see at the Open. They are usually on the land between farming and the sea. The land is very sandy (unbsuitable for farming) so was cheap land when golf courses were first built. They often have dunes that shape the holes but are generally very open and prone to the weather.

Parkland courses are your green well treed courses in the countryside. Augusta National or Wentworth are famous parkland courses.

Heathland as the name suggests are golf course built on heathlands, which are sandy soil areas that you will normally find heathers and gorses. They are almost a mixture between links and parkland, not as open or brown as links but not as green and closed as parklands.

Each type has it's own characteristics and ways of playing, links golf usually has a lot of chip/pitch and runs whereas parklands will see more attacking the pin with the flight of the ball

Then again I would suggest that Wentworth is more heathland than parkland....

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
A few courses mentioned are heathland. Ladybank, Wentworth, and Sunningdale.

Best parkland course I have played is Bearwood Lakes. Remedy Oak is growing on me, and Marquis at Woburn is the best of the three courses.:whistle:

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Pure parkland - the Grove is good, as are the Marquise at Woburn and the Edinburgh at Wentworth.

More local to me the Remedy Oak and Bowood are also decent tests.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
TBH i don't play many parkland courses TBO. theres a few that are sort of border line like Blairgowrie, Ladybank, Gleneagles and Woodhall.

Only true parkland ive played recently would be;

Elgin
Forres
Newmacher
Invernerness

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
In the NE, Slaley Hall Hunting course is very nice, although it does need to be dry.

I haven't played there but people I know who play a lot of courses love Alwoodley nr York. N. Yorkshire has some lovely courses, not sure how many would be in the elite category though. I personally really like Oakdale (Harrogate) and Knaresborough.

I think there is a snobbery about Links courses as Opens are played on so many. Take away that and I am not sure so many would rank as highly. However the history is there, you can't argue with that, so it is a defunct discussion.

I have not played any of the big southern parkland courses although I would love to at some point.

D

Deleted member 17920

A few courses mentioned are heathland. Ladybank, Wentworth, and Sunningdale.
Agree with that.

Some of the best Parkland Courses I have had the opportunity of playing.

Mount Juliet.
St Mellion
Bearwood Lakes
Woburn Dukes

Think the best Parkland course in the UK right now has surely got to be Loch Lomond.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 17920

TBH i don't play many parkland courses TBO. theres a few that are sort of border line like Blairgowrie, Ladybank, Gleneagles and Woodhall.

Only true parkland ive played recently would be;

Elgin
Forres
Newmacher
Invernerness
Woodhall Spa isn't even close to been parkland Patrick

The Autumn Wind

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Gleneagles and Wentworth are definitely not parkland.

Remedy Oak, Queenwood, The London Club and all 3 courses at Woburn would get my vote.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
What's the difference?? As in, what's the definition of parkland, links and heathland in this context?

Links courses are cold, windy, featureless and your ball can land and bounce at right angles. Inevitably by the sea. Links courses can bring out the bitterness in a golfer. You can also hit a 350 yd drive, 200 yd carry and then 150 yd of run

Parkland courses are green, have trees, flowers, bushes, look attractive. You can hit a high iron and the ball will land softly. They are often manicured and will be inland. If you can hit a 350yd shot on one of these then your name is Rory, Dustin, Justin or a hardened GM Forumer.

Heathland / Moorland. Somewhere in between but I confess I have not played many so many knowledge of them is weak. We don't really have in the NE.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I would say Little Aston is Heathland?

would you say Dukes, Duchess @ Woburn were parkland? i wasnt sure. wasnt even sure if marquess qualified?

I'd definitely say Little Aston was parkland, although if memory serves there is the odd small pocket of heather

In fact I'd go along with it being possibly the best parkland course in the Midlands

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
When people are talking about Loch Lomond are they talking about the millionaires course or the newer one, The Carrick?

Would it be easier to open up the discussion to best course that is not a Links?

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In the NE, Slaley Hall Hunting course is very nice, although it does need to be dry.

I haven't played there but people I know who play a lot of courses love Alwoodley nr York. N. Yorkshire has some lovely courses, not sure how many would be in the elite category though. I personally really like Oakdale (Harrogate) and Knaresborough.

I think there is a snobbery about Links courses as Opens are played on so many. Take away that and I am not sure so many would rank as highly. However the history is there, you can't argue with that, so it is a defunct discussion.

I have not played any of the big southern parkland courses although I would love to at some point.

Yes Knaresborough is up there for me, Moor Allerton and Sand Moor are all top quality parkland courses.