Best PARKLAND courses

• Thread starter Deleted Member 1156
  • Start date

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Cheers, never been, but it’s on my list.

Its so good!!

Do a trip to Leeds, play Moortown & Alwoodley. then drive across the 1hr to Ganton for a round.

on the way up play Notts or Sherwood (or even Lindrick) to break up the journey.

you'll struggle to do a better trip in the UK

D

Deleted member 15344

When people are talking about Loch Lomond are they talking about the millionaires course or the newer one, The Carrick?

Would it be easier to open up the discussion to best course that is not a Links?

Best Course that isn’t a links is easy- Sunningdale :D

And have to totally disagrees about links course being cold and featureless -the ones I have played are surrounded by some of the most natural beauty in the country.

I love links courses but couldn’t play them every day - Parklands are ok - very playable most of the time

Heathland for me would be my choice of a course I could play every day - Swinley , Sunningdale , Hankley , Woodhall , West Hill all just stunning golf courses

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes Knaresborough is up there for me, Moor Allerton and Sand Moor are all top quality parkland courses.

I really like Moor Allerton, memo to self, must go back there this year, but I did not put that one down as I thought it would be classed as a moorland course. Otherwise, I would totally agree with you.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Not a big fan of parkland either but I'd say St.Mellion is the best one I've played (certainly not a big standard parkland track) followed by Little Aston

D

Deleted Member 1156

Would it be easier to open up the discussion to best course that is not a Links?

No it wouldn't because links, heathland and moorland courses can all have similar playing characteristics whereas parkland are very much a breed of their own. That is why I started the thread.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I dont think Wentworth West is heathland at all.....

where is the heather?

It's 'lost' a lot of it over the years as it has got 'bigger', but there's plenty in those areas where you don't want to be!

Many/most of the bunkers used to have classic Harry Colt 'eyebrows' of heather, but these have been eliminated. They were actually very difficult to maintain/present for TV. The East Course is actually on much 'better' 'heath' land! There are plenty of heathery bunkers and strips of heather on that course and even (quite) a few on the South/Edinburgh.

As for 'best parkland'...Bearwood Lakes gets my vote. Centurion comes a close 2nd. By categorising the Woburn trio as 'heathland' I can wimp out of having to consider them! Likewise, I put Ladybank (and Carnoustie Kings/Queens) in the heathland category. There's also a 'moorland' style - aka West Linton and Lanark that's interesting too. Sort of a cross between (open) parkland and heathland - an open/exposed course, but with bouncy/sandy feeling turf!

Last edited:

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Is it though?

I'd argue its more moorland, queens is almost heathland in places.

Two decent but not great parkland courses - Haggs Castle and Pollok.

I did ponder that a bit, quite subjective categorising some of these but for gleneagles, and sunningdale, I could see both sides.

Cheifi0

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I really like Moor Allerton, memo to self, must go back there this year, but I did not put that one down as I thought it would be classed as a moorland course. Otherwise, I would totally agree with you.

I would say no question Moor Allerton is a parkland, I obviously rate it but haven't managed to play many other really top quality parkland courses. Off the top of my head only Coombe Hill really springs to mind.

Give me a shout if you want a game, always welcome.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Best Course that isn’t a links is easy- Sunningdale :D

And have to totally disagrees about links course being cold and featureless -the ones I have played are surrounded by some of the most natural beauty in the country.

I love links courses but couldn’t play them every day - Parklands are ok - very playable most of the time

Heathland for me would be my choice of a course I could play every day - Swinley , Sunningdale , Hankley , Woodhall , West Hill all just stunning golf courses

Would have to agree with all of that.

Liverpoolphil said:
Parklands are ok - very playable most of the time

would hope so given where you play regular like :D

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I would say no question Moor Allerton is a parkland, I obviously rate it but haven't managed to play many other really top quality parkland courses. Off the top of my head only Coombe Hill really springs to mind.

:thup: Cheers

richart

Major Champion
Visit site

Coombe Hill is a good shout. Also add Tandridge, Cuddington and Centurion.

Best band of heathland courses in my opinion run from Liphook and Blackmoor in Hampshire through to Hankley Common, Hindhead, the three W’s and St George’s Hill in Surrey, on to The Berkshire, Swinley and Sunningdale in Berkshire. Some fantastic courses all within 30 miles of each other.

Heathland courses being sand based drain nearly as well as links courses, but being inland with trees offer more protection from the elements.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
In the NE, Slaley Hall Hunting course is very nice, although it does need to be dry.

I haven't played there but people I know who play a lot of courses love Alwoodley nr York. N. Yorkshire has some lovely courses, not sure how many would be in the elite category though. I personally really like Oakdale (Harrogate) and Knaresborough.

I think there is a snobbery about Links courses as Opens are played on so many. Take away that and I am not sure so many would rank as highly. However the history is there, you can't argue with that, so it is a defunct discussion.

I have not played any of the big southern parkland courses although I would love to at some point.

Again its all about opinions but I would disagree with you all day long on that. Links for me is the best all day long and all year long too for that matter.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

Absolutely agree with this

I love links courses but couldn’t play them every day...

But disagree with this. The 'joy' of any links course is that is different virtually every round - even on the same day!

a course I could play every day - Swinley , Sunningdale , Hankley , Woodhall , West Hill all just stunning golf courses

Certainly be happy to 'only' play the 4 of those I've played!

Last edited: