Best PARKLAND courses

• Thread starter Deleted Member 1156
  • Start date

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
If you tried to play a British links course every day over the winter you might change your mind. :eek:

I certainly played Scottish (East Lothian) links courses all year round (with the occasional time out for work :whistle:) for a number of years!

And another of the 'joys' of links golf in Winter is that the (Marram) rough simply flops down - sort of balancing/compensating for the disadvantages that Winter conditions impose. Greens fairways and semi are still virtually as playable as in Summer, certainly unlike lots/most of Parkland courses where claggy clay makes the entire exercise a considerable trudge!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Bearwood Lakes
St Mellion (Nicklaus)
The Grove
Woburn

I'd class places like Royal Wimbledon, Sunningdale, Wentworth etc as heathland personally. Still great places to play golf and to be honest I am not a fan of these labels. As long as the cost is reasonable, the course nicely presented and the welcome is warm I don't care what type of course it's classed as

D

Deleted Member 1156

I really can't make up my mind about Wentworth west. Very much a heathland originally but few if any of those characteristics remain. It's almost an American parkland now.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I certainly played Scottish (East Lothian) links courses all year round (with the occasional time out for work :whistle:) for a number of years!

And another of the 'joys' of links golf in Winter is that the (Marram) rough simply flops down - sort of balancing/compensating for the disadvantages that Winter conditions impose. Greens fairways and semi are still virtually as playable as in Summer, certainly unlike lots/most of Parkland courses where claggy clay makes the entire exercise a considerable trudge!
I would play links over parkland, but heathland over both of them on a regular basis. Links courses in the winter can beat me up. Alternative would be to head down to El Saler near Valencia and play links in the the warmth over the winter.:thup:

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I played it on a charity day for Erskine hospital. Got a gorgeous day for it as well, my legs were oot - a rare sighting!

To much information.........

Good course but not the best out there. However the whole arrival at the gate and the welcome in the clubhouse is top notch and the accommodation is superb.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Anyone that has played Hankley Common should know what heathland is about. Sand based scrub land that is often covered in heather, gorse, as well as silver birch and firs.

D

Deleted member 15344

I would play links over parkland, but heathland over both of them on a regular basis. Links courses in the winter can beat me up. Alternative would be to head down to El Saler near Valencia and play links in the the warmth over the winter.:thup:

Yep that sums it up - would happily play links course and love it but not every day during the winter and certainly wouldn’t pay membership to be restricted to two balls and also play off mats for 4/5 months of the year - no point saying it can be great golf 12 months of the year when nearly half of it is from a plastic mat

Play Parkland because that’s the nearest course to me - if a good Heathland was closing then would jump there in a flash - still very tempted by Berkhampsted

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
I really can't make up my mind about Wentworth west. Very much a heathland originally but few if any of those characteristics remain. It's almost an American parkland now.

I just don’t see how it can be classed as heathland. It’s conplwtly tree lined (literally every hole). It’s gets very wet and there is little to no heather.....

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
[video=youtube;H07DJRGr-0A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H07DJRGr-0A[/video]

My favourite parkland. Just a stunning place to play golf. playable for all. Fairways are wide but the course can be stretched for the big hitters.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Coombe Hill is a good shout. Also add Tandridge, Cuddington and Centurion.

Best band of heathland courses in my opinion run from Liphook and Blackmoor in Hampshire through to Hankley Common, Hindhead, the three W’s and St George’s Hill in Surrey, on to The Berkshire, Swinley and Sunningdale in Berkshire. Some fantastic courses all within 30 miles of each other.

Heathland courses being sand based drain nearly as well as links courses, but being inland with trees offer more protection from the elements.

Cheeky git, we're a downland course........ :angry:

D

Deleted member 21258

For me Little Aston I think is probably the best, once you have remove 'heathland' courses (even though there are a number that now are like parkland style, like wentworth, sandiway )

I always thought heathland courses had to be covered in heather, but getting an education on this thread, that said before joining the forum, I thought there was only Links and the other courses.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I would play links over parkland, but heathland over both of them on a regular basis. Links courses in the winter can beat me up...

Wouldn't argue with this - though, as I noted, links courses do offer 'compensations'. Links courses can beat anyone up any time of year! For some peculiar reason (?) many of my best scores have been on links courses just coming out of (or even going into) Winter. A 74 round Muirfield in January, a 69/74 combo at Gullane 3/2 in late Feb and a 75 round North Berwick in early March (different years!) being highlights.

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
And can a course be both?

Or more?

I'm thinking of Formby, which is normally classed as a links course but there are large patches of heather which could bring it into heathland class and the area around holes 8 and 9 would make you think you were on a parkland course.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
My course 😎

Open qualifier for 4yrs, many PGA qualifiers played every year on it, not just regional, and this year we have the Ladies English Women’s Amateur Championship. Loads of history, Seve played his first professional debut at Coventry in the Piccadilly Medal comp.

I don’t get the love for Little Aston, I think my course offers a much more varied test but it’s all subjective.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
So we have discussed Parkland, Links, Heathland and Downland courses
we are missing at least 1 category.............Clifftop Courses.

Sherringham, Royal Cromer etc are great places to play and are more linksey than Parklandy.

My favourite Parkland course? Huntercombe