Best PARKLAND courses

• Thread starter Deleted Member 1156
  • Start date

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Yep that sums it up - would happily play links course and love it but not every day during the winter and certainly wouldn’t pay membership to be restricted to two balls and also play off mats for 4/5 months of the year - no point saying it can be great golf 12 months of the year when nearly half of it is from a plastic mat

Play Parkland because that’s the nearest course to me - if a good Heathland was closing then would jump there in a flash - still very tempted by Berkhampsted

why would you want to join Berko, i thought you were a member at Woburn?

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
A downland is an area of open chalk hills, so it's a course on a hill on chalk as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks for that BiM. I asked as I recently read an Agronomy report on my course (I'm blaming the long dark nights) and they claimed it was Downland or had "Downland Qualities"

I'll have to check this out now as I'm not sure the Moors north of Bolton are Famed for their abundance of Chalk.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks for that BiM. I asked as I recently read an Agronomy report on my course (I'm blaming the long dark nights) and they claimed it was Downland or had "Downland Qualities"

I'll have to check this out now as I'm not sure the Moors north of Bolton are Famed for their abundance of Chalk.

Weird you would ask that, as I was curious what a chalk based course was called.

Can only think of Stand GC in bury which qualifies personally.

Drain really well.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
In the words of a former Open Champion, my golf course is "one of the finest inland courses in Scotland" if it's good enough for him...

Downfield GC btw.

I loved Downfield when I played it about 7 years ago, but others arent mad on it......preferring Ladybank instead - madmen!

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I loved Downfield when I played it about 7 years ago, but others arent mad on it......preferring Ladybank instead - madmen!

If you think Downfield is better than Ladybank you need to get up here and play both again. Downfield is nice but it’s not on the same page as Ladybank, it’s like comparing Formby to Wallasey

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

If its not chalk, its cheese, mate.:)

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If you think Downfield is better than Ladybank you need to get up here and play both again. Downfield is nice but it’s not on the same page as Ladybank, it’s like comparing Formby to Wallasey

I found Ladybank "flat", Downfield felt it had more variation.

I also wouldnt put Wallasey as much inferior to Formby, either.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site

Ladybank is in a different league to Downfield Pedro, regardless of how much elevation there is!

Similar again re Formby and Wallasey IMO.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site

Ladybank is in a different league to Downfield Pedro, regardless of how much elevation there is!

Well as someone who is a member of one and played the other quite a few times, if I had a choice of which course to play every week, it would probably be Ladybank, but may be that's because I play Downfield every week.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Everyone keeps telling me.. :)

Wouldnt mind playing both again to see, but that was my first impressions.

People get sucked in by Formby's nice trees. :D I think Wallasey has 11-12 great holes, and if the other 6 were of the same standard it would be a top 5 Uk course, IMO Would be bloody hard though.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Well as someone who is a member of one and played the other quite a few times, if I had a choice of which course to play every week, it would probably be Ladybank, but may be that's because I play Downfield every week.

It’s not because you play Downfield every week it’s because what your saying is true. Downfield is decent, Ladybank a step up and Blairgowrie a step up again

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site

People get sucked in by Formby's nice trees. :D I think Wallasey has 11-12 great holes, and if the other 6 were of the same standard it would be a top 5 Uk course, IMO Would be bloody hard though.

You'll be blackballed as a course reviewer with nonsense like that Ped ;)

People get sucked in by Formby being a great course with the benefit of a stunning setting ;)

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

We’ve done the Formby debate a tonne of times I know but I think you’re overly harsh on it. It’s a brilliant track and one of my firm favourites.

Don’t disagree with what you say about Wallasey, IMO it has at least 6 holes or more that wouldn’t be out of place on an open championship course.