Best course you have played in the UK for under £50

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I think it's fair to say the £50 should be a high season rate and not a sign-on rate or even an open comp.

In winter I would imagine almost every course has rates or deals at that kind of level - but in most cases it won't be a full and true reflection of that course.

I played the New Course at St. Andrews in February for £40. Got amazingly lucky with the weather (sunny, no wind and temperature in the high teens) and they had even lifted fairway protection as the weather was so good. But it's still going to be a completely different beast from mid-May onwards.

I'd put my own course in this category, East Renfrewshire. I genuinely love it and it is one of the best courses I've ever played. Every hole is different with it's own challenge and there are virtually no straightforward Driver / Wedge holes as each hole has it's own protection, whether it's a raised green, dog-leg, water hazard, OB, obscured target etc. I feel it is comfortably better than some of the top ranked Scottish courses and the ranking suffers as it is not a seaside links. Not perfect by any means and people will argue the toss about a few holes - 11 & 12 in particular - but for me I absolutely love playing it as my every day course.

I think on the website it is £60, but on the tee off times websites you will get a selection of tee times well under the £50 mark.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
A good bit of timing, this came through on my FB feed for Alnmouth GC, Foxton:

JULY GOLF BREAK SPECIAL OFFER - 25% OFF

Sunday 14th July &
Sunday 28th July ONLY £90 DBB with 2 rounds of golf

That is a cracking couple of days / night over.

D

Deleted member 1740

St Annes Old links and Fleetwood beat Siloth for me, but all three meet the OP criteria without "member rates" cheat. I think the OP only intended courses full green fees to count.

How does Fleetwood beat Siloth?

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Can play all day for your 55 quid.....

Great value

Not denying that. Had a very pleasant round there before and look forward to playing it again in the future.

Just looking to keep this thread moving as silloth always wins the bargain course to play threads on here.

I always wonder why they offer themselves so cheaply compared to other similar courses.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Played Yeovil GC for £12 a couple of summers ago.

Was on holiday and wanted a game one evening... rang up, turned up about 5pm paid the money and had fun.

Not sure I've played anywhere better without paying £25 or more.

D

Deleted member 3432

Not denying that. Had a very pleasant round there before and look forward to playing it again in the future.

Just looking to keep this thread moving as silloth always wins the bargain course to play threads on here.

I always wonder why they offer themselves so cheaply compared to other similar courses.

Middle of nowhere has a lot to do with it I guess.

I don't think you can make green fees too expensive when you see the price we pay for annual membership.

Interestingly the club has reduced the price for members guests this year.

Recently announced the club will host Carris Trophy in 2022.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
A good bit of timing, this came through on my FB feed for Alnmouth GC, Foxton:

JULY GOLF BREAK SPECIAL OFFER - 25% OFF

Sunday 14th July &
Sunday 28th July ONLY £90 DBB with 2 rounds of golf

That is a cracking couple of days / night over.

now that is tempting, might have to have a look at those dates.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'd put Fleetwood over St Annes as well. Not many would agree with that either. It's generic I think, from my dad. If everyone likes something, I'll pick something different. But it's what I think, so hey ho.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've played all three and think Fleetwood and St Annes are better. It's an opinion, not a fact. (y)
To be fair, people rave about Siloth consistently on here but there is also the proviso that the wind is likely to beat you up. The phrase often seems to go, 'the wind was brutal but the course was great'. I can see why you, I'd be in your camp on this, would prefer another course to one that kicks you in the danglies as you go around. As you say, it is about opinions.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Few round the northwest I enjoyed playing, some many times when I lived there.

Preston
Dunham Forrest
Bolton
Bolton old links
Fair haven
Wallasey
Stand
Ormskirk
Carden park Cheshire course
Manchester
Delamere
Lymm
Pleasington
Vale royal abbey

Some many need to be played in a open to get the best value but most can be played for under 50notes.