Best course you have played in the UK for under £50

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes, Knaresborough is a steal.

Twilight at Ilkley GC is £25 at the moment.

Best looking on GolfNow and see what comes up. Some great bargains to be had.
I've only heard good things about Ilkley. I might have a look at that. Thanks for the tip (y)

Throwing in rounds with a member is unfair. That is not available to everyone, it should be fees open to all.

D

Deleted Member 1156

So what are the rules for this thread? Any course that you have played for under £50 in any circumstances or should we stick to visitor rates available to anyone?

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I do t think I've often paid full price for a round. Always found a discount. One way or another.

I'll be playing both lesser courses at celtic Manor in August for a total of £24. Can't knock that.

D

Deleted member 1418

So what are the rules for this thread? Any course that you have played for under £50 in any circumstances or should we stick to visitor rates available to anyone?

Indeed as there a some excellent courses that I've played free, such as Walton Heath Old and New. Others like Saunton I've paid members rates at.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think, for what it is worth, that it should be rates available to all. That means it is a guide for everyone on here, not just a boasting list of what a great deal some people have had. County Cards, playing with members etc is not open to all. Green fees, twilight rates, Hot Deals on websites should all count as we can all get them.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I think, for what it is worth, that it should be rates available to all. That means it is a guide for everyone on here, not just a boasting list of what a great deal some people have had. County Cards, playing with members etc is not open to all. Green fees, twilight rates, Hot Deals on websites should all count as we can all get them.

I think County cards are a grey area. Everyone could get one if they chose too. Lots of cheap places you can become a member and then have access to one.

Agree re guest rates though. I can remember if we got it for £50 or slightly more. But I thought Wallasey was a cracking course last November.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Pretty sure it should be under 50 quid to anyone.

Having connections and getting cheap golf doesn't really help those on the thread.

I played ilkley the day after a wedding as a one ball. Sun shone the whole time. Really enjoyed the course as it snaked along the river. The members were a delight too and waved me through group after group without a hint of pressing from me.

D

Deleted member 21258

I could Stick down Royal Birkdale and Troon as the best value courses in the world as I have played them both and never paid a penny :sneaky:

Does that mean you jumped on the course without paying and no one noticed;) I'm telling I'm telling:D

D

Deleted member 21258

Saunton winter rate £50 for full rate paying or Royal St Davids do a rate under £50 during winter (£45 including breakfast last year iirc).

Summer rates would go for Bamburgh, boat loads of best fun to be had for their green fee, which is under £50.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've only heard good things about Ilkley. I might have a look at that. Thanks for the tip (y)

Throwing in rounds with a member is unfair. That is not available to everyone, it should be fees open to all.

I haven't played it yet but it's supposed to be very good. Few mates have played it and say it's one of the best course's round here.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
County cards are in theory open to members of a recognised golf club (think I'm right in saying that) but not sure that many members are aware of their existence and the benefits to be gained. Certainly my club never does anything to promote these. I played Royal Wimbledon loads of times but only as a resident of the borough of Merton so technically that is available to a number of golfers in the vicinity but still a pretty small catchment. Prior to getting a reciprocal Basingstoke was always worth the journey to play

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
I play in the Open's there. Last one I did was Easter. I think that was £25. You go round the outside for the front nine, and the back nine is all on the inside. Greens mostly flat and brilliant.

👍 Agree with this. I’m a Big fan of Fleetwood.. hugely underrated. A bit like Hoylake without the Greenkeeping budget..

richbeech

Hacker
Visit site
I played Notts (Hollinwell) last week for £25 but that was as a members guest. Nevertheless that's probably the best course I've ever played and I played it in dismal conditions too. It's holding final round of Open qualifying in a few weeks; it's a fabulous golf course and a proper test.

In terms of value for money though I'd have to give a mention to Formby Ladies. Recently played there on British Masters week, I paid £62 for all day golf and lunch which consisted of lovely fresh sandwiches and a delicious soup. We ended up playing 12 holes in the morning, had lunch then played 18 in the afternoon. It's not as good as the main course but it's still a cracking little course for that price.

The Fader

Visit site
St. Mellion Nicklaus Course.
£30 after 3pm (Monday to Wednesday) through to September
Green fee available to all
I played it early May and it remains just about the toughest test of golf I have ever played