Banned

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
I'd ban smoking on the course, sorry I know this caused a lot of excited people on a previous thread. But the amount of butts on the course is disgusting as is playing with someone who's smoking and the wind blows it right in your face.

Linked to the above, ban people who litter. I don't understand it, it's just not acceptable. Put it in a bin or in your bag not on in the rough.

If there's a right of way over the course, ban the bloody idiots that slowly meander up the fairway oblivious to the fact you are about to tee off.

Ban people who regularly don't repair pitch mark, replace divots and rake bunkers. So simple to do but can make the course look awful.

Ban people who don't let groups through, or say that a single has no standing on the course so continue to hold them up. It may come down to ego again and don't like to think someone is playing quicker or better. But so annoying.

A bit more controversial perhaps. But I would ban buggies, unless required because of a physical limitation. A lot of talk of pace of play, but can't help feel that we get congestion when 1/10 of the field are driving to their ball 5 times faster than everyone else. For most people they are not needed so get out and walk and get some exercise.

NorwichBanana

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I know a vast amount of teaching pros, who insist on pre shot routines, checking putts from all angles etc....those being taught believe this is the way to play and take it onto the course....which slows everything down!

Also I play in a Roll up, usually 4 balls and the rule is everything MUST be holed even if you chip to 6 inches, you've got to hole!! ARRRGGHGHHHHH

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
I am also no fan of "rolling the ball back" especially the diminished returns idea that someone had.

I have a fast swing and hit the ball a long way, this can be advantageous. Conversely if I am slightly out I can hit the ball a long way in the wrong way which is definitely disadvantageous as I can lose a ball where someone who hits the ball softer may not.

It's the thing I love about golf and sport in general. There are multiple ways to play and to win. To change the equipment which removes one of those ways dilutes the game in my opinion. The comparative style of players is great to watch and play in. I'd love to see matches of say DJ v Luke Donald. Rather than a Ryder Cup full of Luke Donalds.

It's like the broadsword vs a Rapier both are deadly, both can win a fight but totally different style. Let's not change that

Ndw7

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I just think some of the guys here have been low handicappers for so long that just can't remember what it's like for those of us who aren't great at the game. For four mid-high handicappers, four hours is about what it takes to play 18 holes. That's all really. It just does. If the course is very busy it could 4 and a half.

Don't worry about how long it takes you to go round when you do go out mate. As long as you wave people through so as not to hold anyone else up then you should be fine.

Absolutely. Whenever I set out to play golf, I always always for 4 hours minimum for the round itself.

I've just done some random maths which I think only emphasises this point, but I'm willing to be shot down if people think I'm wrong.

4 hours = 240 minutes. 18 holes in 240 minutes = 13 minutes per hole.

My home course is 6619 yards long = 3.8 miles. The average walking speed of a human is 3.1 mph. Therefore, to just walk the course alone it would take 1.22 hours to just walk the course (ignoring elevation change etc for the sake of argument).

4 hours - 1.22 hours = 2.78 hours for 4 players to do 'golf stuff only' for 18 holes.

2.78 hours = 166.8 minutes for 18 holes. This is equal to 9.26 minutes per hole for all 4 golfers to hit shots, this includes practice swings, PSR, actively looking for balls (which wasn't included in the walking part of this maths).

9.26 minutes per hole = 2.32 minutes per person per hole for golf stuff only.

In my opinion, there isn't anything wrong with that. Just like many others here, I would feel rushed if we took less than 4 hours as a 4 ball. Either that, or we all played so well that nothing went wrong and we all scored 40 points. The only time I ever think of getting around in under 4 hours is of theres only 2 or maybe 3 of us.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Absolutely. Whenever I set out to play golf, I always always for 4 hours minimum for the round itself.

I've just done some random maths which I think only emphasises this point, but I'm willing to be shot down if people think I'm wrong.

4 hours = 240 minutes. 18 holes in 240 minutes = 13 minutes per hole.

My home course is 6619 yards long = 3.8 miles. The average walking speed of a human is 3.1 mph. Therefore, to just walk the course alone it would take 1.22 hours to just walk the course (ignoring elevation change etc for the sake of argument).

4 hours - 1.22 hours = 2.78 hours for 4 players to do 'golf stuff only' for 18 holes.

2.78 hours = 166.8 minutes for 18 holes. This is equal to 9.26 minutes per hole for all 4 golfers to hit shots, this includes practice swings, PSR, actively looking for balls (which wasn't included in the walking part of this maths).

9.26 minutes per hole = 2.32 minutes per person per hole for golf stuff only.

In my opinion, there isn't anything wrong with that. Just like many others here, I would feel rushed if we took less than 4 hours as a 4 ball. Either that, or we all played so well that nothing went wrong and we all scored 40 points. The only time I ever think of getting around in under 4 hours is of theres only 2 or maybe 3 of us.
Exactly. For four players I would expect around 4 hours, for a three-ball around 3hr 40 or 45, and for a two-ball around 3 hr 30, could be quicker or slower depending on how well you both play though.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Exactly. For four players I would expect around 4 hours, for a three-ball around 3hr 40 or 45, and for a two-ball around 3 hr 30, could be quicker or slower depending on how well you both play though.

but his course again is 1000 yards longer than yours, so would expect it to take a bit longer

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Folk playing a round of golf with and average walking speed of less than 1mph.
4 hours = 4 miles

Slow play is killing golf.
The only other aspect to consider is 12 hole rounds/courses.

D

Deleted member 15344

4 hours = 4 miles

Slow play isn’t killing golf because golf isn’t dying - cost is one of the biggest reasons for people leaving or not taking up golf.

Slow play isn’t great but it’s not a major reason why people stopping playing golf

Ross61

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
BAN:
1. poker chip markers
2. searching for a tee for longer than 10 seconds
3. Truvis balls
4. Volvik vivid balls ( pink especially )
5. Tight fitting shirts on people with beer guts
6. removing gloves - if a glove is worn on the first tee you can’t take it off again until putting out on the 18th. Thus saving time on each green and following tee.
7. Ignorance of the rules. - 3 yearly exam where you gain a rules passport required to be shown before playing.

Ross61

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
4 hours = 4 miles

I wear a GPS watch that displays total walking distance. On our course (6709 yards) when playing a 3 ball measures on average 6.7 miles, on my own average about 5.8 miles.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site

If you expect 3 hours 30 for a two ball you're either the cause of the problem or you're on the wind up. Should be 3 hours tops with a clear run.

The Haste in your golf club obviously doesn't refer to pace of play. :rolleyes:

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
I reckon 4 hours for a 4 ball is about right, but 4 ball golf should be banned at peak times.
3.30 for a 2 ball is madness!! The biggest issue i see is being not ready to play. Either on the tee or even worse. Walking to each ball in turn witnessing the shot @ then repeating. Just walk to your own ball ffs

Last edited:

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
I am also no fan of "rolling the ball back" especially the diminished returns idea that someone had.

I have a fast swing and hit the ball a long way, this can be advantageous. Conversely if I am slightly out I can hit the ball a long way in the wrong way which is definitely disadvantageous as I can lose a ball where someone who hits the ball softer may not.

It's the thing I love about golf and sport in general. There are multiple ways to play and to win. To change the equipment which removes one of those ways dilutes the game in my opinion. The comparative style of players is great to watch and play in. I'd love to see matches of say DJ v Luke Donald. Rather than a Ryder Cup full of Luke Donalds.

It's like the broadsword vs a Rapier both are deadly, both can win a fight but totally different style. Let's not change that

There'd still be different ways to play & win if the ball was rolled back. The big difference would be the number of courses that became much better challenges again. The relentless march of technology is not doing the courses any favours in the long term in my opinion.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you expect 3 hours 30 for a two ball you're either the cause of the problem or you're on the wind up. Should be 3 hours tops with a clear run.

The Haste in your golf club obviously doesn't refer to pace of play. :rolleyes:
Sorry, I should have said 3h20 to be fair. I rarely ever play in a two ball these days anyway, there's usually at least 3 if not 4 of us out. It's obviously variable anyway by a number of factors we've already mentioned.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I reckon 4 hours for a 4 ball is about right, but 4 ball golf should be banned at peak times.
3.30 for a 2 ball is madness!! The biggest issue i see is being not ready to play. Either on the tee or even worse. Walking to each ball in turn witnessing the shot @ then repeating. Just walk to your own ball ffs

Agreed!

I played in the knockout stages of the Eden tournament at St Andrews a couple of years ago, we were 1st match out. All square after 18 so went back to the 1st tee. I looked at the clock on the tee, 2hr20 for a competitive 2 ball. We were not rushing, we just got on with it.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Changing in car park. Shorts on men. Loudmouth trousers. Par threes over 200 yards.Two shots on a hole.

That will do for now.:whistle:

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
There'd still be different ways to play & win if the ball was rolled back. The big difference would be the number of courses that became much better challenges again. The relentless march of technology is not doing the courses any favours in the long term in my opinion.[/QUOTE

GM did an article not long ago, average distances for amateur golfers have not increased in line with the pro game. Distances have increased in the pro game due to many factors. Better understanding and commitment to strength and fitness, even diet. Plus with trackman and other tech like that, pros can find out with stats the optimal make up of their clubs.

Plus a lot to do with it is the courses themselves and course set up. There was a PGA tour event this year on a course a little of 6000 yards, the winner was not very low. The problem is courses with massive fairways so there is little risk to the big hitter being off target.

For me, because I am not as consistent as the pros, I often hit irons of the tee because the driver will bring trouble into play.

What I wasn't a fan of especially was the diminishing returns, so essentially my advantage of long distance is rubbed out. If my 50 yard advantage is not only a 10 yard advantage it makes a big difference. I'm long but not consistent so a ball like that gives the guy with the slower swing speed and more consistent swing the advantage.

Whereas before it could be a match up between consistency but short and inconsistency and long, but with the potential ability to shoot lower which can make for great matches. If the ball doesn't do that any more then everyone will learn to swing at 80 mph which is dull