Banned

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I know a vast amount of teaching pros, who insist on pre shot routines, checking putts from all angles etc....those being taught believe this is the way to play and take it onto the course....which slows everything down!

Also I play in a Roll up, usually 4 balls and the rule is everything MUST be holed even if you chip to 6 inches, you've got to hole!! ARRRGGHGHHHHH

Seen 'em missed, mainly by me. It's the whole point of the game isn't it????? Get it holed. If it's so bloomin' easy it will only take a second. Ooo another lip out. 7 for nowt. LOL

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Folk playing a round of golf with and average walking speed of less than 1mph.
4 hours = 4 miles

Slow play is killing golf.
The only other aspect to consider is 12 hole rounds/courses.

Great idea. Only make them 16 holes. Less to look after, cheaper subs, and a range could be built that would bring in money. Even cheaper subs!!!

D

Deleted member 16999

Absolutely. Whenever I set out to play golf, I always always for 4 hours minimum for the round itself.

I've just done some random maths which I think only emphasises this point, but I'm willing to be shot down if people think I'm wrong.

4 hours = 240 minutes. 18 holes in 240 minutes = 13 minutes per hole.

My home course is 6619 yards long = 3.8 miles. The average walking speed of a human is 3.1 mph. Therefore, to just walk the course alone it would take 1.22 hours to just walk the course (ignoring elevation change etc for the sake of argument).

4 hours - 1.22 hours = 2.78 hours for 4 players to do 'golf stuff only' for 18 holes.

2.78 hours = 166.8 minutes for 18 holes. This is equal to 9.26 minutes per hole for all 4 golfers to hit shots, this includes practice swings, PSR, actively looking for balls (which wasn't included in the walking part of this maths).

9.26 minutes per hole = 2.32 minutes per person per hole for golf stuff only.

In my opinion, there isn't anything wrong with that. Just like many others here, I would feel rushed if we took less than 4 hours as a 4 ball. Either that, or we all played so well that nothing went wrong and we all scored 40 points. The only time I ever think of getting around in under 4 hours is of theres only 2 or maybe 3 of us.
The time to cover the distance isn’t the biggest problem, time gets added on as others have said by the irresponsible or trivial stuff, ie, trolleys and bags in the wrong place, marking the card on the green, everybody searching for one ball rather than playing their own then helping, people not helping on the tee by respectfully watching were their pp ball may of ended up, etc etc.
Nobody purposely walks slower than their natural pace on a golf course.
All our comps are 4Ball and regardless of format 95% are finished in well under 4hrs, the odd exception is when someone in a group has had a mare or problem and may come in slightly over 4hrs.

Ndw7

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The time to cover the distance isn’t the biggest problem, time gets added on as others have said by the irresponsible or trivial stuff, ie, trolleys and bags in the wrong place, marking the card on the green, everybody searching for one ball rather than playing their own then helping, people not helping on the tee by respectfully watching were their pp ball may of ended up, etc etc.
Nobody purposely walks slower than their natural pace on a golf course.
All our comps are 4Ball and regardless of format 95% are finished in well under 4hrs, the odd exception is when someone in a group has had a mare or problem and may come in slightly over 4hrs.

Hi mate. That wasn't the point I was trying to make. I was trying to say that in my opinion, it is perfectly possible for a 4 ball to play a round at 4 hours and that it may not mean that anyone has been doing things they shouldn't have been doing to slow play up.

D

Deleted member 16999

Hi mate. That wasn't the point I was trying to make. I was trying to say that in my opinion, it is perfectly possible for a 4 ball to play a round at 4 hours and that it may not mean that anyone has been doing things they shouldn't have been doing to slow play up.
I know mate, I was backing the point up that the actual playing isn’t the issue.

NorwichBanana

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Seen 'em missed, mainly by me. It's the whole point of the game isn't it????? Get it holed. If it's so bloomin' easy it will only take a second. Ooo another lip out. 7 for nowt. LOL

Agreed it is the aim of the game, but in a friendly weekend knock its not necessary. Even worse when all 4 are in a comp and having to hole out EVERYTHING!!

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Were did I say all slow players should be + cappers? maybe for HIM it’s a natural pace for HIM to play at that level, do any of us have the right to make him change and possibly risk his enjoyment of the game?

Once again though nobody can define slow play with one cap fits all.

We all walk at a different pace, some have no psr. etc etc

Slow play for me is more about ignorance of rules and bad etiquette.
The problem is the members are refusing to play with him as his slow play is affecting THEIR game.

He might be enjoying it but everybody else isn’t.

He is going to have nobody to play with soon.

Thats not good for him or the club.

I am not really bothered to much about slow players but this lad is extreme.

D

Deleted member 16999

The problem is the members are refusing to play with him as his slow play is affecting THEIR game.

He might be enjoying it but everybody else isn’t.

He is going to have nobody to play with soon.

Thats not good for him or the club.

I am not really bothered to much about slow players but this lad is extreme.
How much time is he adding to a round in a comp?

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Agreed it is the aim of the game, but in a friendly weekend knock its not necessary. Even worse when all 4 are in a comp and having to hole out EVERYTHING!!

In a fiddle I sometimes play in they used to allow tap in gimmies. Problem is it got abused and some started giving each other longer and longer putts so now everyone has to hole out to score

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't think you're understanding me, and you're certainly not explaining yourself at all. For us to get round in 3.5 hours we'd have to practically run to every ball, have no practise swing and hit it without thinking. At which point I would feel like I'm rushing and make a total hash of it, adding about 20 shots to my score and negating any time saved anyway. It's impossible for a four ball to get round in 3.5 hours and actually enjoy it anyway.

Really ? our Sunday 4 ball(s) get round in under 4 hours including a 10 minute stop at the halfway hut. BTW the average player age would be circa 60.

D

Deleted member 16999

Does it matter? If his group are losing ground on the one in front, the other players get uncomfortable. Yrp, they could call the lot behind through, but this soon wears thin.
Yes, if without him and someone else they get round in 3hrs 20 and with him 3hrs 40, then he undoubtably slows them down, but 3hrs 40 is not slow for a 4 Ball.
Slow play is relative to the individual and course conditions.
Hence why it’s more about educating someone than simply labelling them as slow.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
With all these super fast and considerate players on the forum I can't quite figure out why every forum meet seems to take at least 4.5 hours (and more in some cases). Baffling really.....

D

Deleted member 16999

With all these super fast and considerate players on the forum I can't quite figure out why every forum meet seems to take at least 4.5 hours (and more in some cases). Baffling really.....
Because no one recognises themselves as slow, just like our average drive is based on the one time it went over 300yds downhill, wind assisted, they once went round in a 4 Ball in a medal in 2hrs 59mins ;)