Banned

NorwichBanana

Assistant Pro
Visit site
In a fiddle I sometimes play in they used to allow tap in gimmies. Problem is it got abused and some started giving each other longer and longer putts so now everyone has to hole out to score

We went to Putter grip gimmes, based on a standard putter grip and not a long counter balanced one. This seemed to work fine but was soon removed.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
That's weird. Why not just say a foot? Everyone knows what a foot is roughly, don't they?

Open to abuse though isn't it and if people faff around measuring a foot or a putter grip or whatever then it's quicker to just knock the thing in the hole

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
HFH is a great case in point. It’s because a load of choppers rock up, have never seen heather before and are desperate to win a major 🤣 any field full of four balls is gonna be slow.. especially if some have a ‘golfing obsession’ 🤣🤣

Wow - what a post!

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Wow - what a post!

He is right though. And I'm a chopper. It's taken way too seriously and it's painful sometimes. People seem to forget that these are supposed to benefit charity, not your trophy cabinet.

Have fun, meet new people, stay over, get pissed, find a revolving dancefloor, dance like you're a teenager again and stare at the barmaids whilst eulogising about your youthful self. That's about it really.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
You can measure with a putter grip.

A Foot becomes a ft & half etc etc.
All putter grips aren't the same! :rofl:

Edit: Also, if you're taking the time to measure the putts with a grip you might as well just knock them in! Pretty much negates any time that would've been saved doesn't it? Haha.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
He is right though. And I'm a chopper. It's taken way too seriously and it's painful sometimes. People seem to forget that these are supposed to benefit charity, not your trophy cabinet.
yeah I guess some people make it more about them than the charity!

Have fun, meet new people, stay over, get pissed, find a revolving dancefloor, dance like you're a teenager again and stare at the barmaids whilst eulogising about your youthful self. That's about it really.

Now that sounds more like it :thup:
:rofl:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Courses that are obsessed with squeezing a full 18 in rather than making an excellent 9 holes.. and go round twice.. played a very tight course last week.. if you missed most greens you were on the next tee box.. one tee box teed over the last green you played!! Even shared a fAirway on 2 holes

NorwichBanana

Assistant Pro
Visit site
All putter grips aren't the same! :rofl:

Edit: Also, if you're taking the time to measure the putts with a grip you might as well just knock them in! Pretty much negates any time that would've been saved doesn't it? Haha.

Much closer in size than peoples eyes.
If play A chips it close, and player b/c/d are already on the green. 1 goes to the flag to tend/remove it, they measure and its done. Player A in that time moves his trolley and doesn't need to bother rushing over to mark/make the putt stood on others lines. Alot quicker.

BRISTOL86

Head Pro
Visit site
As a relative newbie the idea of giving putts seems a bit daft to me. I mean I know it’s often the done thing but it’s literally the entire point of the game to put the ball in the hole.

Does it really save much time? If it’s close enough to concede it without quibble how long can it really take to have them hole it? A few seconds?

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
As a relative newbie the idea of giving putts seems a bit daft to me. I mean I know it’s often the done thing but it’s literally the entire point of the game to put the ball in the hole.

Does it really save much time? If it’s close enough to concede it without quibble how long can it really take to have them hole it? A few seconds?

Depends who you are playing with. Seen plenty who will mark, clean, align, practice swing etc even over a 6 inch putt.

ademac

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
HFH is a great case in point. It’s because a load of choppers rock up, have never seen heather before and are desperate to win a major 🤣 any field full of four balls is gonna be slow.. especially if some have a ‘golfing obsession’ 🤣🤣

I hope I get to be in your group at HFH, you seem like great fun.