Banned

NorwichBanana

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Im unsure if you are at it or not but i'll offer a response anyway.

There is absolutely no need for anyone to hole out for a 12, none at all. Pick your ball up and move on to the next hole and save everyone with and behind you some time.

Not on one at all. I just can't see why people start a comp, have 1 blow up hole on say, the 12th, and people would want me to NR.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I also played with a chap last year who took an emergency call on the 5th hole and had to rush off because his wife had a serious medical problem. I wonder how he would have felt if mobiles were banned, he'd have not got that call and continued to play golf for another 3 hours, and who knows what might have happened.

The week my wife died they simply phoned the golf course and someone came out and found me to give me the message that she had gone in to hospital.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Not on one at all. I just can't see why people start a comp, have 1 blow up hole on say, the 12th, and people would want me to NR.

Because it’s easier to NR. You aren’t going to place in high in the comp and your overall score may be terrible. Your playing partners either will pity you, accept it or just be annoyed.

If your rounds good but have a blow up hole, you can NR that hole before it gets stupid. and still get a cut by scoring the rest of the holes as your NR or a recordered 12 will only count as a nett double for handicap purposes anyway. save everyone’s sanity.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I'm also for banning yardage and greens books.

I'd also limit pro caddies to carrying the bag and cleaning the clubs. I want the pro to win the tournament, and not lose it because someone else's caddy was better at giving advice.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I just think some of the guys here have been low handicappers for so long that just can't remember what it's like for those of us who aren't great at the game. For four mid-high handicappers, four hours is about what it takes to play 18 holes. That's all really. It just does. If the course is very busy it could 4 and a half.

Don't worry about how long it takes you to go round when you do go out mate. As long as you wave people through so as not to hold anyone else up then you should be fine.

that's not the case at all, i only took up the game in 2006 and started as a 24 handicap. still never took me over 4 hours to get round a course though;)

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I also played with a chap last year who took an emergency call on the 5th hole and had to rush off because his wife had a serious medical problem. I wonder how he would have felt if mobiles were banned, he'd have not got that call and continued to play golf for another 3 hours, and who knows what might have happened.

Depends.
Was he on for a good round? ;)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I'm speaking from personal experience of my own rounds though. I use a GPS but I get it out while still walking to my ball, so I would say it only adds about 5 seconds of time, totally less than 2 additional minutes to the round as a whole. I was taught etiquette by my dad when I first took up the game, and the one member of our group who took up the game late learned from the rest of us. Taking all that into account and reiterating what I said earlier - even on an empty course there is no chance the four of us get round in under 4 hours. I just don't see how it's possible.

it is very possible. Our saturday mornring fourballs will often get round in 3 and half hours

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Don't really care what you believe, I'm telling you how it is. We all play as quick as we can, to go any quicker I would feel like we're rushing and it would ruin the round for me. At best I would say 3 hours 50 mins for us to complete the round, if we all play reasonably well.

Exactly this, and of course we do let groups through if they've caught us up, which they may do if there's only two of them. :thup:

If you are playing as quickly as you can but still cannot get round in under four hours, then members of your fourball are doing things that they needn't be doing and that are adding to the length of the round. And too many groups I see on around my place just saunter about the place...chat chat chatting as if not a care in the world and oblivious to all.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Letting people play through causes tail backs throughout the course so it does hold up the course. Saying that you are unable to play a 4 ball under 4 hours is really worrying for the game of golf.

We played the second round of the CC on Sunday at a course just over 6300 yards, with the walks between holes to tees etc its a fraction over 5 miles in length approximately (think I'm being conservative here) and as a 3 ball we were 3 hours 30. That included holing everything out, looking for balls on a few holes, provisional balls on 2 of the last 3 holes by all of us and marking cards. One NR, one buffer with a cut on the score adjustment (9 down to a 6) and one 0.6 cut. There were two class 2 golfers and a class 3 golfer in the group.

It can do - but not significantly if you do it properly.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I agree. Bit like saying football should take 90 minutes because the allocated time. It never happens.

Problem in - the 4hr round at the start of a comp will almost inevitably turn into a 5hr+ round towards the end of the field. We should all get used to playing at 3.5hr pace...for everyone else's sake.

D

Deleted member 16999

Problem in - the 4hr round at the start of a comp will almost inevitably turn into a 5hr+ round towards the end of the field. We should all get used to playing at 3.5hr pace...for everyone else's sake.
Why is the 4hr turning into 5hrs? Care to expand?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site

So everyone in the comp is wrong?

Some people like to take their time and some like to run round.

Who decides how long a round should take?

For me it's not the total length of time the round takes, it's the amount of time you spend waiting that annoys people.

For example, I played in a pro-am which took 5hrs 45m
The team were losing balls everywhere and every time I got to my ball, the group in front were clear. So no time spent waiting.
Other rounds I played in 4 hours and waited every shot.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Why is the 4hr turning into 5hrs? Care to expand?

It's a function of how group's interact (it's a bit like congestion on a motorway).

It will be at its worst if tee times aren't sufficiently spaced ie less than 10 mins for either 3 or 4 balls is proven to exacerbate this.

Courses that have a lot of ball searching will also react worse in this regard group A looks for a ball on one hole, holding up group B behind even for a minute, and group B then have to look for one so they don't catch up when A accelerate into the space in front. Before you know it group B and everyone behind them are 1 minute adrift of the finished group's - and the process gets repeated.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site

For me it's not the total length of time the round takes, it's the amount of time you spend waiting that annoys people.

The team were losing balls everywhere and every time I got to my ball, the group in front were clear. So no time spent waiting.

So true... :thup:

Also, many courses simply play quicker, or slower, over and above the obvious factors such as walking between tees. There will never be a single 'Par' time for every course

D

Deleted member 16999

It's a function of how group's interact (it's a bit like congestion on a motorway).

It will be at its worst if tee times aren't sufficiently spaced ie less than 10 mins for either 3 or 4 balls is proven to exacerbate this.

Courses that have a lot of ball searching will also react worse in this regard group A looks for a ball on one hole, holding up group B behind even for a minute, and group B then have to look for one so they don't catch up when A accelerate into the space in front. Before you know it group B and everyone behind them are 1 minute adrift of the finished group's - and the process gets repeated.
So not slow play then, just things that can happen on any course in any comp.

D

Deleted member 16999

No place for commonsense on here Bob :thup: