Visit site
I would ban.

Slow people.
People who are late.
Honour system.
Jacket and tie presentations.
Flat fronted trousers.
Sock colour policy’s.
anybody above 28hcp on full length courses.
Buggy’s and trolleys in winter if the course is soggy.
Towels on belts.
Current tee system.

1. What are these?
2. Agreed !!!!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
On reflection upon seeing other's posts, I would certainly ban outdated archaic dress code rules. e.g. must wear white socks, jackets and ties, no trainers in the clubhouse and all that rubbish.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm speaking from personal experience of my own rounds though. I use a GPS but I get it out while still walking to my ball, so I would say it only adds about 5 seconds of time, totally less than 2 additional minutes to the round as a whole. I was taught etiquette by my dad when I first took up the game, and the one member of our group who took up the game late learned from the rest of us. Taking all that into account and reiterating what I said earlier - even on an empty course there is no chance the four of us get round in under 4 hours. I just don't see how it's possible.

Can I suggest that you read https://www.randa.org/RulesEquipment/Pace-of-Play/Overview

If you follow all the suggestions to cut out everything that contributes to slow play, your round will last significantly less than 4 hours on an empty course and will make everyone happier on a crowded course.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ego's
Those that think that just because rules are long standing it makes them wrong. Just because you don't like them it doesnt make them wrong and you right.:)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Can I suggest that you read https://www.randa.org/RulesEquipment/Pace-of-Play/Overview

If you follow all the suggestions to cut out everything that contributes to slow play, your round will last significantly less than 4 hours on an empty course and will make everyone happier on a crowded course.
I'm reading it now (the 'player behaviour' section as I assume you meant) and there is nothing revolutionary in there. I don't see anything that we are not doing already.

BRISTOL86

Head Pro
Visit site
It’s threads like this that make me apprehensive about taking my game beyond the local par three course.

Splitting hairs about 3.5 hours versus 4 hours, really? 18 holes of golf....4 people....30 minutes....that’s roughly an extra 25 seconds per person, per hole that is being quibbled about.

I imagine that as a beginner or high handicapper that’s well within what is to be expected. If I lose a ball or have to take a second tee shot, or take 3 attempts to get out of a bunker, it’s going to cost me more than 25 seconds....

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It’s threads like this that make me apprehensive about taking my game beyond the local par three course.

Splitting hairs about 3.5 hours versus 4 hours, really? 18 holes of golf....4 people....30 minutes....that’s roughly an extra 25 seconds per person, per hole that is being quibbled about.

I imagine that as a beginner or high handicapper that’s well within what is to be expected. If I lose a ball or have to take a second tee shot, or take 3 attempts to get out of a bunker, it’s going to cost me more than 25 seconds....

I agree. Bit like saying football should take 90 minutes because the allocated time. It never happens.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

I just think some of the guys here have been low handicappers for so long that just can't remember what it's like for those of us who aren't great at the game. For four mid-high handicappers, four hours is about what it takes to play 18 holes. That's all really. It just does. If the course is very busy it could 4 and a half.

Don't worry about how long it takes you to go round when you do go out mate. As long as you wave people through so as not to hold anyone else up then you should be fine.

BRISTOL86

Head Pro
Visit site
I just think some of the guys here have been low handicappers for so long that just can't remember what it's like for those of us who aren't great at the game. For four mid-high handicappers, four hours is about what it takes to play 18 holes. That's all really. It just does. If the course is very busy it could 4 and a half.

Don't worry about how long it takes you to go round when you do go out mate. As long as you wave people through so as not to hold anyone else up then you should be fine.

Yeah. I think it’s more the ignorant assumption that all newcomers to the game have no clue. I’m terrible but I never loiter marking a scorecard on the green, am always ready to play when it’s my turn and would always wave through if I thought I was holding anyone up (never happened / normally me waiting around to be waved through!)

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
remote control trolleys. its the way they walk along like "look at me, I have an remote trolley" when 99% of us think "what a dick"

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Yeah. I think it’s more the ignorant assumption that all newcomers to the game have no clue. I’m terrible but I never loiter marking a scorecard on the green, am always ready to play when it’s my turn and would always wave through if I thought I was holding anyone up (never happened / normally me waiting around to be waved through!)

That's the spirit.

Although I don't think handicap has a bearing on the pace of play as I know plenty of "deliberate" low handicap golfers who are slower than a week in the jail!

On the flip side I know a 13 handicap golfer who runs round the course.

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
It does actually anger me to hear people talk about 4 hour rounds being slow. They do as others have said fail to take various things into account. Higher handicaps will on most occasions be slower. Its simply a fact. Pointing out a personal experience that disproves this does not prove it is the norm. BTW I am a 15 cap and get round in well under 4 hours with the right people.

I kinda feel sorry for high handicappers. I play in a group of 12 and at times am paired with 3 others who are 23, 24 and 26. I know this will be slower as they simply take more shots than others. More shots and everything involved in them takes time. That time accumulates. I would prefer 3-3.5 hours which I get a lot, but I know at times I'm in for 4-4.5. I don't want to put pressure on higher caps and try and encourage them not to feel rushed so I just accept that some rounds will be slower.

I play with the same guys abroad and they often hate it as they feel rushed when they loose a little ground on those in front.

You either accept most higher handicaps will take longer (they play more shots its simply logic) and stop moaning or take a view that no one above a certain cap should play golf. That view would have interesting consequences for golf.

Saying I know low caps who play slow or high caps who are fast does not disprove a simple fact - a person playing more shots takes longer then fewer shots