Banned

D

Deleted Member 1156

Personally would like to see the current ball banned and technology develop a ball that doesn't go as far for the longer hitters, but doesn't make much difference for the shorter guys.

Something where the law of diminishing returns comes into play more. It would limit the pros, and especially the big hitters, but wouldn't have much of an impact on the handicap golfers. Obviously the power guys would still have an advantage, but it wouldn't be so savage and there would be a bigger premium on accuracy.

I can't imagine this isn't possible and would mean that we might see a better variation in golf courses in professional golf and I also believe would mean there were more guys in contention for every event - and would make a much more exciting tournament.

Look at the Open where there was not a premium on distance. The number of players on the final day was very exciting and interesting - which is surely a good thing for the game.

I really can't agree with this, silly idea IMHO. We have a handicap system that works perfectly well to even things out already.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Letting people play through causes tail backs throughout the course so it does hold up the course. Saying that you are unable to play a 4 ball under 4 hours is really worrying for the game of golf.

We played the second round of the CC on Sunday at a course just over 6300 yards, with the walks between holes to tees etc its a fraction over 5 miles in length approximately (think I'm being conservative here) and as a 3 ball we were 3 hours 30. That included holing everything out, looking for balls on a few holes, provisional balls on 2 of the last 3 holes by all of us and marking cards. One NR, one buffer with a cut on the score adjustment (9 down to a 6) and one 0.6 cut. There were two class 2 golfers and a class 3 golfer in the group.

And as a 4 ball it would have taken you?

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I get the ideals and can’t abide slow play, but to start telling people what is and isn’t acceptable is wrong, one guy in a 4Ball could be having the round of his life or a mare, the course maybe flat or hilly, it maybe due to bad weather conditions or etc etc.
Your 3hr 30 example maybe slow to some for a 3 ball.
Someone saying they took over 4hrs and others telling them that’s slow without knowing if the course was empty or whatever circumstances there were is being overly critical imo.

Read the whole post. A five mile walk in the CC and you think 3.5 hours is considered slow? Fair enough, everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
And as a 4 ball it would have taken you?

Take it into perspective. Look at the length of the course, and yes a 4 ball on the same course with a £5,£5,£5 bet riding on it will still be under 4 hours. as there will be gimmies, no provisional ball if your partner is in the hole.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Take it into perspective. Look at the length of the course, and yes a 4 ball on the same course with a £5,£5,£5 bet riding on it will still be under 4 hours. as there will be gimmies, no provisional ball if your partner is in the hole.

Jeeez how much are you earning? Us rich southerners only play £2, £2, £2 ;) :D

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
I would ban.

Slow people.
People who are late.
Honour system.
Jacket and tie presentations.
Flat fronted trousers.
Sock colour policy’s.
anybody above 28hcp on full length courses.
Buggy’s and trolleys in winter if the course is soggy.
Towels on belts.
Current tee system.

D

Deleted member 16999

Read the whole post. A five mile walk in the CC and you think 3.5 hours is considered slow? Fair enough, everyone is entitled to an opinion.
No I don’t, read my reply.

The problem is no can can actually define slow play, it will vary course to course, player to player, time of year, comp format, age of player, etc.

We can speed up a round of golf with education but to actually give a finite definition, imo, is impossible.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I would ban.

Slow people.
People who are late.
Honour system.
Jacket and tie presentations.
Flat fronted trousers.
Sock colour policy’s.
anybody above 28hcp on full length courses.
Buggy’s and trolleys in winter if the course is soggy.
Towels on belts.
Current tee system.

Slow people, I think I may be in agreement with you on that one.

Honour, we play ready golf, even in medals, if anyone is offended with that system then tough. If they want their honour then they better get to the next tee first and be ready to play.

Jacket and tie is another outdated old fuddy duddy pain in the hoop. Thankfully I don't ever win anything and need to attend any presentations.

I'll also throw in knee length socks with shorts!!!!!

D

Deleted Member 1156

Maybe a ban is too far... just need a medical certificate to use them will be fine :thup:

It's ok for you living in a tropical paradise where an uphill holes rises 6 inches over 400 yards but the rest of us have to carry 6 layers of clothing on a beautiful day 'just in case' and we get all 4 seasons during the course of one round :ears:

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
It's ok for you living in a tropical paradise where an uphill holes rises 6 inches over 400 yards but the rest of us have to carry 6 layers of clothing on a beautiful day 'just in case' and we get all 4 seasons during the course of one round :ears:

I know I know, I guess I have to reserve the right to change my stance on battery trolleys when faced with taking a weeks clothes out for golf... but for the time being they're just a bit naff :D

Oh I'd also ban tee's with string on them