Banned

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Not read all 8 pages....(the shame) so excuse me if it's already in place.

I get the feeling that golf bans far too many things as it is. As long as play proceeds briskly, the course is respected and the enjoyment and safety of others is not compromised just let it go.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
really, you can't get round as a 4 ball in under 4 hours on an empty course???

played a 4 man team think yesterday all 4 scores to count on a course that 1000 yards longer than your course and we were well under 3 and half and had to wait on a couple of holes for the group in front to move on.

are you looking for balls all the time or all over 70 ;)
You're better than us. I initially pointed out that my usual four ball are all mid-to-high handicaps like myself, the lowest is 18. Hence there is obviously more total shots being hit. And the chances of all four of us parring any given hole are slim, there will nearly always be one of us taking a double bogey or something.

D

Deleted member 16999

really, you can't get round as a 4 ball in under 4 hours on an empty course???

played a 4 man team think yesterday all 4 scores to count on a course that 1000 yards longer than your course and we were well under 3 and half and had to wait on a couple of holes for the group in front to move on.

are you looking for balls all the time or all over 70 ;)
What were your handicaps?

D

Deleted member 16999

I’m sure all these mentioning pace of play are either single figure golfers or been playing it for years.
Not everybody plays at the same pace or learns at the same rate.
Ours isn’t a long course and a 4Ball can easily get round under 3.5hrs, but not everytime in every comp.
We turning into a game that goes against the saying “You should learn to walk before you run”

chris3081

Assistant Pro
Visit site
What do you think is spoiling golf and you would like to see banned?

I'd ban dress codes - if you don't like a kids attire keep it to yourself - he doesn't like your beer gut
I'd ban discriminatory competitions - if a junior or lady wants to play let them
I'd ban traditionalists moaning about the modern world - roll back ball, no women or juniors ban tech, everyone should play in plus fours, your socks are the wrong colour, shirt isn't tucked in

Most importantly I'd ban people from focusing on the negatives and let's celebrate this amazing game. I love it

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
But surely if you pay your membership and compeition entry fee, you should be allowed to complete a round in full, even if that means making a nightmare 12 on a hole?

Im unsure if you are at it or not but i'll offer a response anyway.

There is absolutely no need for anyone to hole out for a 12, none at all. Pick your ball up and move on to the next hole and save everyone with and behind you some time.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Im unsure if you are at it or not but i'll offer a response anyway.

There is absolutely no need for anyone to hole out for a 12, none at all. Pick your ball up and move on to the next hole and save everyone with and behind you some time.

While I agree for the most part, there is 1 scenario I can think of i.e. club champs qualifier, shoot the lights out in earlier round, have the lowest round, shooting the lights out again in final qualifying rouud and certain to qualify for the knockout stages. Standing on the 18th tee and make a horlicks of the hole. A 12 on the last means you post a score and still qualify for the knockout stages, a NR means you're out.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I don't think you're understanding me, and you're certainly not explaining yourself at all. For us to get round in 3.5 hours we'd have to practically run to every ball, have no practise swing and hit it without thinking. At which point I would feel like I'm rushing and make a total hash of it, adding about 20 shots to my score and negating any time saved anyway. It's impossible for a four ball to get round in 3.5 hours and actually enjoy it anyway.

I have to agree with Murph. I think its your attitude that is wrong. It's people like your four ball who hold up the course and genuinely believe you are on time and not doing anything wrong. I refuse to believe that you genuinely believe that you can't get quicker without feeling like you are being rushed or not enjoying it.

D

Deleted member 16999

I have to agree with Murph. I think its your attitude that is wrong. It's people like your four ball who hold up the course and genuinely believe you are on time and not doing anything wrong. I refuse to believe that you genuinely believe that you can't get quicker without feeling like you are being rushed or not enjoying it.
If they’re holding someone up, then they can ask them to be let through.
No round is a race.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Don't really care what you believe, I'm telling you how it is. We all play as quick as we can, to go any quicker I would feel like we're rushing and it would ruin the round for me. At best I would say 3 hours 50 mins for us to complete the round, if we all play reasonably well.

No round is a race.
Exactly this, and of course we do let groups through if they've caught us up, which they may do if there's only two of them. :thup:

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Personally would like to see the current ball banned and technology develop a ball that doesn't go as far for the longer hitters, but doesn't make much difference for the shorter guys.

Something where the law of diminishing returns comes into play more. It would limit the pros, and especially the big hitters, but wouldn't have much of an impact on the handicap golfers. Obviously the power guys would still have an advantage, but it wouldn't be so savage and there would be a bigger premium on accuracy.

I can't imagine this isn't possible and would mean that we might see a better variation in golf courses in professional golf and I also believe would mean there were more guys in contention for every event - and would make a much more exciting tournament.

Look at the Open where there was not a premium on distance. The number of players on the final day was very exciting and interesting - which is surely a good thing for the game.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
No round is a race.

Letting people play through causes tail backs throughout the course so it does hold up the course. Saying that you are unable to play a 4 ball under 4 hours is really worrying for the game of golf.

We played the second round of the CC on Sunday at a course just over 6300 yards, with the walks between holes to tees etc its a fraction over 5 miles in length approximately (think I'm being conservative here) and as a 3 ball we were 3 hours 30. That included holing everything out, looking for balls on a few holes, provisional balls on 2 of the last 3 holes by all of us and marking cards. One NR, one buffer with a cut on the score adjustment (9 down to a 6) and one 0.6 cut. There were two class 2 golfers and a class 3 golfer in the group.

Smasher

Medal Winner
Visit site
When I forget my GPS (not often), or forget to charge it (more often) I use theSwingXSwing app ony phone. Once I've switched it on for the round (4g & location enabled) and it's working I then switch my phone on to airplane mode.

The app still works but it stops WhatsApp messages and other notifications and reduces the temptation to get distracted by checking emails or social media

This! I'm not paying for a GPS when swingxswing works accurately on my phone, something i already have and is irrelevant how much it cost.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Personally would like to see the current ball banned and technology develop a ball that doesn't go as far for the longer hitters, but doesn't make much difference for the shorter guys.

Something where the law of diminishing returns comes into play more. It would limit the pros, and especially the big hitters, but wouldn't have much of an impact on the handicap golfers. Obviously the power guys would still have an advantage, but it wouldn't be so savage and there would be a bigger premium on accuracy.

I can't imagine this isn't possible and would mean that we might see a better variation in golf courses in professional golf and I also believe would mean there were more guys in contention for every event - and would make a much more exciting tournament.

Look at the Open where there was not a premium on distance. The number of players on the final day was very exciting and interesting - which is surely a good thing for the game.

it is, my club did a trial for the R&A some time ago (3 or 4 years at least) the ball felt soft off the putter and the only guys who saw any difference were the 3 guys in our group who hit it 270 +(carry) with a driver

D

Deleted member 16999

Letting people play through causes tail backs throughout the course so it does hold up the course. Saying that you are unable to play a 4 ball under 4 hours is really worrying for the game of golf.

We played the second round of the CC on Sunday at a course just over 6300 yards, with the walks between holes to tees etc its a fraction over 5 miles in length approximately (think I'm being conservative here) and as a 3 ball we were 3 hours 30. That included holing everything out, looking for balls on a few holes, provisional balls on 2 of the last 3 holes by all of us and marking cards. One NR, one buffer with a cut on the score adjustment (9 down to a 6) and one 0.6 cut. There were two class 2 golfers and a class 3 golfer in the group.
I get the ideals and can’t abide slow play, but to start telling people what is and isn’t acceptable is wrong, one guy in a 4Ball could be having the round of his life or a mare, the course maybe flat or hilly, it maybe due to bad weather conditions or etc etc.
Your 3hr 30 example maybe slow to some for a 3 ball.
Someone saying they took over 4hrs and others telling them that’s slow without knowing if the course was empty or whatever circumstances there were is being overly critical imo.