Banned

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Do you know they're doing that for sure? I use a GPS app on my phone, but always ignore any Whatsapp's etc until I've finished the round
When I forget my GPS (not often), or forget to charge it (more often) I use theSwingXSwing app ony phone. Once I've switched it on for the round (4g & location enabled) and it's working I then switch my phone on to airplane mode.

The app still works but it stops WhatsApp messages and other notifications and reduces the temptation to get distracted by checking emails or social media

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Well I can't disagree that he's a numpty. But I don't think banning phones is the answer. Just ban him! :D I probably use my phone too much in daily life, but being on the golf course is the one time I actually enjoying being away from everything else for 4 hours.

No they're not. Played with my Uncle recently, he has a GPS watch and I was using my app, and my yardages were more accurate than his. His watch was showing everything 5-10 yards longer for some reason. The yardages are absolutely fine, certainly good enough that I'm not going to waste money on another gadget that might​ be fractionally more accurate.

I'd be interested to know how you decided which device was the more accurate.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
You play with people who actually do this?? Everyone I have ever played with in Stableford picks up as soon as they have blobbed a hole. No point in playing on...

Yeah ... we have a few guys at our club who regularly do this. They are know to hand in a card with up to 14 or 15 strokes on a hole in a Stableford round. Their argument is that they "normally" play medal becaue they are part of the men's or senior's club team and that they need to practice that. The club secretary has talked to them about it on several occasions, but they insist.

D

Deleted member 15344

Ban private clubs that don’t allow green fees
Ban Subscription services from have exclusive rights to the Open
Ban buggies from fairways and being closer than 20 yards to the green
Ban single sex comps beyond the club championships

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'd be interested to know how you decided which device was the more accurate.

I've usually stood near or on the 150 marker, or the tee marker and look at the post vs my gps?

Exactly this. At one point he told me he had 160 yards or thereabouts, I pointed out that the 150 marker was right behind him.

In essence, I've got used to playing my yardages from Hole19 anyway. So even if they are not spot on, I still know what club I'm hitting when, which is all that matters really. Anyway, let's move on since this is not what the topic is about.

D

Deleted member 16999

Nothing, you’ll never please everyone.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Exactly this. At one point he told me he had 160 yards or thereabouts, I pointed out that the 150 marker was right behind him.

So, are the 150 markers to the front of the green or middle and is the flag dead in the middle? If the 150 markers are to the front and the pin is way back, on some of the greens I've played on that could be up to 3 club lengths distance.

I personally use a laser and know the yardage precisely from my ball to the pin and any calculations start from the certain knowledge of the yardage.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Wedges with more loft than 56 degrees.

XxX flex shafts. Nothing more than stiff, with a simple bend test to check it is not too stiff.

14 clubs. I would reduce it to 10.

Any form of book.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Id ban the achoring ban.

This ^^

Either ban long putters completely or let players use them however they want but the current 'solution' is just open to far too much personal interpretation.

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Ban medal format unless in strict competition

So you have to pick up as soon as can’t score on a hole

The game has to be sped up, over 4 hours for a round is going to kill the game imo

Wildrover

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The booking system my club have brought in, pain in the proverbial.

I’ll play golf this morning thinks I, oh wait there are no tees available because I didn’t know I wanted to play 2 weeks ago. We have 2 courses and never had a problem getting out. It has solved a problem we never had and introduced new ones. AGM should be interesting this year.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I would like to ban anyone taking more than 4 hours to play a round of golf. When did 4 hours become the yard stick anyway. It used to be considered slow.