Banned

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I would like to ban anyone taking more than 4 hours to play a round of golf. When did 4 hours become the yard stick anyway. It used to be considered slow.

Hell no!!!! Me and the wife usually take this long for a round. Usually coz we're putting the world to rights, and it's a very complicated world when both of us can see both arguements (usually).

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I would like to ban anyone taking more than 4 hours to play a round of golf. When did 4 hours become the yard stick anyway. It used to be considered slow.
I don't see how it can be. I usually play in a four ball of similar mid-to-high handicappers like myself. None of us have long pre-shot routines or anything, we play at a good pace, and it will still take us just over 4 hours to get round. That's just how long it takes for four chaps hitting between 85 and 100 shots. For four of us to get round in 3 and half hours we'd have to be playing speed golf - or using a buggy which we'd never do.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I don't see how it can be. I usually play in a four ball of similar mid-to-high handicappers like myself. None of us have long pre-shot routines or anything, we play at a good pace, and it will still take us just over 4 hours to get round. That's just how long it takes for four chaps hitting between 85 and 100 shots. For four of us to get round in 3 and half hours we'd have to be playing speed golf - or using a buggy which we'd never do.

It does now, but it never used to. When I started playing, and believe me, I was rubbish, golf took about 3 1/2 hours for a 4 ball.

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Moderators on this forum ….. ;) :D

Being serious …. I'd echo the requested bans for phones on the course/caddies lining up putts/players holing out for an 11/long putters etc.

But most of the things I would like to see changed are additions to the game rather than things being removed. Well apart from Peter Alliss that is.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
It does now, but it never used to. When I started playing, and believe me, I was rubbish, golf took about 3 1/2 hours for a 4 ball.

I'm sure it did, and could do, when you have a four who play together and are quick. And by quick I mean they all know each others routine. They know when to get the flag for each other. When to mark cards not to hold each other up etc etc etc. It can be done. But you get in a group where they don't get the flag and have to be told then walk back down the green to get it. Have a long pre shot routine. Mark cards when stood in front of the green getting their bags etc etc ,and the others are to polite to say anything. 4 hours +

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'd ban...

1. Smoking at all times on the course.
2. Allowing people to adjust their ball more than once on the green to line up their little line. Let's just ban the use of a line.
3. People who lose the plot when they don't hit a wedge shot inside 6 feet.
4. People who still believe having male only clubs is acceptable.
5. Parking spaces for committee members.
6. Greens contour maps for the best players in the world.
7. People taking more than 30 seconds for any shot.
8. People who don't like juniors or seniors.
9. Bandits.
10. Cheats
etc. etc.

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Mobile phones on the golf course. Can't believe the amount of golfers who can't play golf without checking twitter, group chats, emails, phone calls etc.

What about people like myself who have their own small business which requires 24/7 contact? I couldn't be a member of a golf club if I couldn't use my phone on course....

That being said I don't have it out a lot I have it in my bag on silent but need to check it periodically and occasionally need to apologise if I need to make a call so I am aware of the people around me but for earning their bread and butter I know a lot of people that need to use it like me. annoying as it is!

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I'm sure it did, and could do, when you have a four who play together and are quick. And by quick I mean they all know each others routine. They know when to get the flag for each other. When to mark cards not to hold each other up etc etc etc. It can be done. But you get in a group where they don't get the flag and have to be told then walk back down the green to get it. Have a long pre shot routine. Mark cards when stood in front of the green getting their bags etc etc ,and the others are to polite to say anything. 4 hours +

So it boils down to a lack of etiquette which I harp back to being the clubs responsibility to enforce.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Pre shot routines longer than 5 seconds

Hell, just pre shot routines in general...and practice swings...when was the last time you saw a practice swing that resembles the real thing..

Think I will work on mine taking 15 seconds should wind you up enough for me to beat you.

I would ban order of play.
Who's ready goes

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
What about people like myself who have their own small business which requires 24/7 contact? I couldn't be a member of a golf club if I couldn't use my phone on course....

That being said I don't have it out a lot I have it in my bag on silent but need to check it periodically and occasionally need to apologise if I need to make a call so I am aware of the people around me but for earning their bread and butter I know a lot of people that need to use it like me. annoying as it is!

I also played with a chap last year who took an emergency call on the 5th hole and had to rush off because his wife had a serious medical problem. I wonder how he would have felt if mobiles were banned, he'd have not got that call and continued to play golf for another 3 hours, and who knows what might have happened.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Very bright, colourful and (especially) big patterned trousers (and tops - but less so) that scream 'look at me - I am a golfer but I am fun and interesting'

Meanwhile the vast majority of non-golfing teens and early 20s look on with complete and utter bemusement and disdain thinking that golfers are a bunch of twits (and one letter change alternatives) and that they would never want to associated with a game where some dress like that.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
But how can it? Unless the courses were much shorter that doesn't make sense? How can it physically have been quicker?

Simply because everything was done by eye. You could tell it was a 7 iron back in the day without Gps, phones etc. People were ready to play, you didn't get the billy big boots attitude that I've paid my fees I'll take as long as I like. Members policed themselves and moved people along. That is how it was possible.

Members clubs have lost that over the years and attitudes have changed dramatically since I started playing. Plus at 42 I don't consider myself that old, however the attitudes have changed dramatically.

I have a workmate who plays off of 8, took up golf later in life. He didn't know to tend flags, didn't understand that he was furthest away on the green so had to putt first, didn't understand when he was on the tee etc. That is so wrong and slows the game down. Clubs should be ensuring that members know what is expected.

DCB

Visit site

But how can it? Unless the courses were much shorter that doesn't make sense? How can it physically have been quicker?

I grew up playing a Muni course, par 71, 6200 off the back tees and even on a Saturday morning you'd be round in 3 1/2 hours. Everyone played the game quicker back in those days, no faffing about. You hit the ball, found the ball and hit it again ..... no phones, sky caddies, a lot of people had just a half set of clubs in the bag, everything seemed so much more simple and carefree. The OLD handicap system stopped "vanity" handicaps as well .... ah the good old days ;)