Ban Texas Scrambles?

Banchory Buddha

Visit site

I like the cut of his jib. They were fun when they started, their time has come and gone now, especially with WHS allowances

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
We used to hold two each year, and they used to be fun events, as much social as sporting, which were well attended.

Sadly, since the ludicrous WHS allowances resulted in many teams getting almost a shot a hole, the attendance levels have dropped off the edge of a cliff because too many decent golfers can’t see the point in throwing money away on an event they have zero chance of being even remotely competitive in.

So, whilst the format itself is a nice occasional fun change, as an all round club day I’m afraid WHS has ruined them.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
We used to hold two each year, and they used to be fun events, as much social as sporting, which were well attended.

Sadly, since the ludicrous WHS allowances resulted in many teams getting almost a shot a hole, the attendance levels have dropped off the edge of a cliff because too many decent golfers can’t see the point in throwing money away on an event they have zero chance of being even remotely competitive in.

So, whilst the format itself is a nice occasional fun change, as an all round club day I’m afraid WHS has ruined them.
Who plays scrambles for competitive reasons? They are just friendly social occasions surely. We have 3 a year, nobody notices who wins except to say 'Ah, a nice bottle of Chablis'

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Who plays scrambles for competitive reasons? They are just friendly social occasions surely. We have 3 a year, nobody notices who wins except to say 'Ah, a nice bottle of Chablis'

It's an underused format tbh. Mate and I play them as a pair just for a laugh every now and again if we are pressed for time or fancy a change

Billysboots

Visit site
Let's make golf boring, all events should be 18 hole medal play only :rolleyes:

I’m not for one moment saying they aren’t good fun. They are, and I enjoy them from that perspective.

But the WHS has taken the fun out of them for so many that, at ours anyway, the all round days when scrambles are held have been spoiled.

Billysboots

Visit site
So what!

If that is the issue and you just have to win then find yourself a high handicapper for your team?

Have you not read my earlier post?

I couldn’t care less about winning them. But the fact so many do, and they no longer play them because they can’t, has ruined the attendance at what used to be two of the best social days of the year.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I can't remember whether it is 3 or 4 years since I played in one.
I have found it more than very easy to not play in any.
The problem with Texas Scrambles is just about non-existent for me. Problem solved. I'm happy.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I like them, but if you want to make them competitive take away people selecting their teams into a random tiered selection.
We used to do it at work and we would split the experience out into every team. For me it’s about every one having fun and also getting some experience from better golfers .. so it’s a great inclusive format but not a board competition format

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You realise there are other forms of golf? :rolleyes:

Typical forum response at the moment, utter exaggeration
YES.... & the scramble is just one of them. We have reducing turnouts for Medal Comps off the 'tips' because most of the Club haven't a hope & they're not enjoyable. Like Scrambles we don't have many so folk choose. Simples.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
I am not a fan of scrambles as a format for a single days competition, always have been anti, and its nothing to do with WHS allowances. They are absolutely great as a nine hole warm up before a main stableford event later in the day...especially on society days out, but I'm not giving up a day on the golf course to play random shots from random locations that may not even be the best option of an average bunch (I can do that perfectly well on my own).

Don't get me wrong, I do recognize that many folk get a great deal of enjoyment out of the format (maybe I need to loosen up a bit) and do not support the opinion expressed in the subject matter.

The allowances do need looking at however, it is plain to see from results, since WHS was implemented, that there is a significant bias towards teams with higher handicaps...things have swung too far in the opposite direction from the UHS, where teams of low handicappers definitely had an advantage....needs to be more balance.

Scrambles however an be the source of much merriment...I remember one scramble at our club where a team NR'd as they were unable to complete one hole and only earlier this summer I watched a team, in a scramble from a visiting society, play four strokes from inside a lateral water hazard. Not withstanding the obvious rules question of why they didn't take a drop out of the hazard, I only stood there and wondered where the other three tee shots had ended up!!