Ban Texas Scrambles?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Two of our major 4 man comps are/used to be Texas scramble with the sort of prizes that would make many think this is just a bit of fun.
Pre WHS I have been in a team of all mid to high single figure handicaps and come second. On of the teams that always does very well, often winning, is a team of mixed handicaps.

On the other hand I used to play in one every month which was treated as just a bit of fun. It was called The Friendly Fours and was largley made up of a mix of both sexes with mainly over 50 y.o. players.

I have not played in enough since the WHS started to truly judge but from what I have heard shots betters skill and one Open comp in particular always leads to speculation about individuals handicaps.

C7usk

Visit site
You realise there are other forms of golf? :rolleyes:

Typical forum response at the moment, utter exaggeration
😂 Am confused... Surely there was sarcasm in 3 jabbers comment...
Anyway, I tend to play at least 1 a year... We all have a great laugh with very little expectations... Mainly cause our lowest hcp is a 9 so we are never in the hunt.. I maybe wrong but am sure most of the teams that do well have a t least 1 low capper..
I didn't realise WHS was to blame for ruining scrambles also.... It's got a lot to answer for.. 😉..

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I like them, but if you want to make them competitive take away people selecting their teams into a random tiered selection.
We used to do it at work and we would split the experience out into every team. For me it’s about every one having fun and also getting some experience from better golfers .. so it’s a great inclusive format but not a board competition format
Very much in agreement with this. My first club used to do a lot of scrambles and they were always hugely popular. Teams were put together based on handicap as you describe and that levelled things up. Add to that, if a team won it was split up. Sadly, they later changed this to mates playing together and a low h/c team cleaned up every time and the scores became silly.

It's a fun format and should be viewed that way.

My own experience, at various clubs, is the low handicappers win these events, not the higher ones. Good golfers create more opportunities for birdies, make more birdies. Far more than shots given.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I enjoy them. Others clearly don’t.
Yes, I don't.
The 4-man scramble is one I can do without.

What I have found enjoyable is when you are a two-ball stuck in the middle of fourballs on the course.
Each of the two players play their own scramble, hit two shots every time and pick the best one.
This slows your pace of play down to nearer the 4-balls. It becomes quite an interesting tactical match.
Tiring though, because you hit a lot more shots than usual during the 18 holes.
I've also done it playing on my own when trying some old clubs out for the first time. Nine holes is enough at those times.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I love a scramble!

I'm decent off the tee and my partner was a great long second shot iron player, plus my chipping and his putting meant we had a cracking round.

Local society, well matched and was a great day.

They’re a good format for society days, however, there is a but attached for me.

If I’m a at new course which is one I really fancy playing, then I prefer to play my ball, rather than a scramble.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Let's make golf boring, all events should be 18 hole medal play only :rolleyes:
;) I had not previously thought about how boring golf is for the best players in the world ;)

No wonder so many of them jumped at something even slightly different.
But perhaps they are all really boring people merely doing anything for money only, rather than enjoyment.