Smoking on the Course

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 15344

Over the last couple of years I have started to see more and more courses start to ban smoking on the course

I suspect a lot have done it during the recent heatwaves last year when some courses were like tinder boxes

I know it’s supposed to be harder for cigarettes to cause fires now ( think they have self extinguishing features)

So what does your course do and do you think it’s something that we will see happening more and more

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Over the last couple of years I have started to see more and more courses start to ban smoking on the course

I suspect a lot have done it during the recent heatwaves last year when some courses were like tinder boxes

I know it’s supposed to be harder for cigarettes to cause fires now ( think they have self extinguishing features)

So what does your course do and do you think it’s something that we will see happening more and more

No ban at our place unless it's really burnt out - not been an issue this year.

Played Beau Desert last week though and I think they had a no smoking sign on the first tee.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
We had a debate at the last Board meeting about smoking/vaping outside the clubhouse and surrounds and I opined we should ban it over the whole property but was outvoted . Other members are looking into smoking shelters , can see legislation for employees but nothing for private members clubs

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
We banned it back last year in that crazy heatwave, and we may have done so again this June, but I can't be sure.
Pretty sure there was a sign saying no smoking at Hankley Common, but the Marshall said nothing to us when cigs were on the go.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We have not had a ban on smoking on the course for around 20 years but we have had reminders about taking appropriate care.

One thing that does annoy me is smokers who think the garden in front of the patio is an ashtray.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've not heard of clubs banning smoking in this way, we don't have the dry weather issues that other parts of the country get. I'm not against it, I dislike smoking and the smell of the smoke, but I'm not hearing it being on anyone's radar as something to be dealt with.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I've said before on here, didn't go down well.

I believe that smoking has no place in any sport and shouldn't be allowed on any golf course.

Smokers are about the only adults I know who seem happy to chuck litter as well.

Thankfully, the amount of people who smoke is on the decrease.

sunshine

Visit site
Can’t remember the last time I saw someone smoking on the golf course. I’m not a fan, but for me it’s not an issue in a wide open space as long as they don’t litter.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
The committee have recently banned smoking on the newly refurbished veranda.Quite a few are up in arms but as someone who has never even tried a cigarette in his 70 years I would prefer not to have cigarette smoke wafting towards me whilst enjoying post game drink. I do, however, think that expecting the smokers to go to the back of the clubhouse and be confined to a tiny area by the trolley shed a little unfair

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I do, however, think that expecting the smokers to go to the back of the clubhouse and be confined to a tiny area by the trolley shed a little unfair
Why? Genuine question. Their smoke affects non smokers, why should everyone else have to breathe in their smoke, even if outdoors?

I can step to one side out on the course but if I'm sat outside at a table then I shouldn't need to have to keep moving around just to avoid the smoke. Their choice to smoke, behind the shed is the consequence. Alternatively, don't have a fag after playing 🤷‍♂️

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Personally, I would ban it everywhere except on peoples own private property.

I played a match this year against a guy who must have had one a hole. Quite often there was smoke wafting across me as I was hitting a shot.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Despite a raft of measures in a recent budget here aimed at encouraging ppl to stop smoking/limiting the effect of smoke on non-smokers & banning vapes, there no restriction on smoking in wide open outdoor areas.
Consequently there's no limiting measures on the golf course save one that's always been there, no smoking while hitting balls on the practice range (ok to smoke on short game area)

I'd say it'd be pretty much unenforceable if they did

There's spacious seating areas outside the clubhouse where smokers/non-smokers sit for pre/post round drinks etc

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Why? Genuine question. Their smoke affects non smokers, why should everyone else have to breathe in their smoke, even if outdoors?

I can step to one side out on the course but if I'm sat outside at a table then I shouldn't need to have to keep moving around just to avoid the smoke. Their choice to smoke, behind the shed is the consequence. Alternatively, don't have a fag after playing 🤷‍♂️

I'm totally with you, as I've said I have never even tried a cigarette and absolutely dont want to be anywhere near anyone smoking but there must be somewhere around our clubhouse where those who really have to smoke can do it in reasonably decent surroundings and not by the trolley shed, but away from everyone else.

I'd also ban vaping - I cant understand why people pump loads and loads of chemicals into their lungs without taking the view that in years to come someone will discover how harmful the rubbish their inhaling is

D

Deleted member 1147

We banned it in 2018 when it was incredibly dry, but not aware of it since.

RichA

Visit site
and drinkers - especially those that drink out of cans
Yep. I pick up far more litter on golf courses discarded by consumers of alcoholic and soft drinks in cans or plastic bottles and plastic wrappers from pies, sausage rolls and pasties than I do leftovers from tobacco products.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Personally, I would ban it everywhere except on peoples own private property.

I played a match this year against a guy who must have had one a hole. Quite often there was smoke wafting across me as I was hitting a shot.
Totally agree. Walking back from my office to the station there's a bit of scaffolding you have to walk under, too narrow to overtake, and I'm always stuck behind someone with a fag on the go. Why should I be made to breathe that? In your own home or designated smoking zones would be ideal.