Golf ball change

Davidre

Visit site
After watching the Sentry competition on sky it’s no wonder that something needs to be done. Is it the fact that players can now hit the ball so far or is it that like the Sentry fairways are so wide and open all the pros have to do is smash the ball as hard as than can. For me it’s not the ball that needs changing but the courses need to be more challenging. And also if they didn’t have ball spotters which I believe they should both would make them think harder and not just sash the ball knowing if it goes off line there’s a good chance a maker will find it. I know some people would say this would slow the game down but with only three minutes to find their ball they would have to think about course management and not just smash the ball as hard as you can

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Sentry is wide

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
It’s been that way since they started to play there. The slopes and lack of wind are responsible for the long drives.

The fairways are so wide because it’s a resort course designed to be played in windy conditions.

It’s a gentle season opener and a bit of a jolly for the players. They will play more challenging courses. Enjoy watching the best make shoot low scores.

Mandofred

Visit site
After watching the Sentry competition on sky it’s no wonder that something needs to be done. Is it the fact that players can now hit the ball so far or is it that like the Sentry fairways are so wide and open all the pros have to do is smash the ball as hard as than can. For me it’s not the ball that needs changing but the courses need to be more challenging. And also if they didn’t have ball spotters which I believe they should both would make them think harder and not just sash the ball knowing if it goes off line there’s a good chance a maker will find it. I know some people would say this would slow the game down but with only three minutes to find their ball they would have to think about course management and not just smash the ball as hard as you can
Even if the pro's had to find their own balls (hehe;)), the spectators would still clue them in to where the balls were. Not as good as a guy standing out there just for that reason though....but still no where near to what a "normal" person has to do.

sunshine

Visit site
The course has massive changes in elevation and when the fairways are firm the ball can roll for miles. It’s also a very windy place, so a downhill and downwind drive that pitches on to a downslope can end up traveling 400 yards. The opposite effect also applies uphill and into the wind. It’s unique and fun, and we all need to think about distances in a different way this week.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It is a gentle season opener on a resort course so I wouldn't read too much into it. As others have said with strong winds and hard running fairways, this event often attracts headlines for long drives

sunshine

Visit site
Heard on commentary last night that in 2023 there were 121 drives over 400 yards recorded on the PGA Tour. 90 of them were at Kapalua.