Smoking on the Course

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

paddyjk

Banned
Visit site
Totally agree. Walking back from my office to the station there's a bit of scaffolding you have to walk under, too narrow to overtake, and I'm always stuck behind someone with a fag on the go. Why should I be made to breathe that? In your own home or designated smoking zones would be ideal.
Strangely fag smoke doesn't bother too much when outside, I guess being a 30 a day man for 30 odd years made that. But damn I hate getting caught behind a vaper and their clouds of god knows what vanilla smelling ..

Last edited:

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
When I’m smoking a pipe at the clubhouse ppl don’t appear to avoid/object to the smoke at all (smokers and non-smokers)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
When I’m smoking a pipe at the clubhouse ppl don’t appear to avoid/object to the smoke at all (smokers and non-smokers)
I don't object when someone smokes on a terrace or on the course but I don't like it. I'll try to avoid the smoke wafting across but I don't make a song and dance about it.

In effect, people around you may well not like it, you just aren't seeing it.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I don't object when someone smokes on a terrace or on the course but I don't like it. I'll try to avoid the smoke wafting across but I don't make a song and dance about it.

In effect, people around you may well not like it, you just aren't seeing it.

I'm reasonably perceptive and after smoking cigs for many years I know there's a noticeable difference/reaction to the smell of cigarette smoke and pipe smoke
When I was a cigarette smoker, no one ever came up to me and struck up a conversation asking if it was 'B&H' they could smell or that it reminded them of xyz relative when they smoked cigs etc

Not saying that to everyone pipe smoke is any better/worse than any other tobacco product, but to others it definitely isn't the same

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm reasonably perceptive and after smoking cigs for many years I know there's a noticeable difference/reaction to the smell of cigarette smoke and pipe smoke
When I was a cigarette smoker, no one ever came up to me and struck up a conversation asking if it was 'B&H' they could smell or that it reminded them of xyz relative when they smoked cigs etc

Not saying that to everyone pipe smoke is any better/worse than any other tobacco product, but to others it definitely isn't the same
I think pipe smoke, cigars as well to an extent, will probably trigger childhood memories of older relatives, particular occasions etc which may be fond ones. Cigarette smoke was everywhere so I have no such association but because fewer people smoke pipes or cigars they tend to work that way, for me anyway.

They still clag your throat mind.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I think pipe smoke, cigars as well to an extent, will probably trigger childhood memories of older relatives, particular occasions etc which may be fond ones. Cigarette smoke was everywhere so I have no such association but because fewer people smoke pipes or cigars they tend to work that way, for me anyway.

They still clag your throat mind.

Yeah I get it and I doubt it’ll ever be eliminated in our lifetimes, Its probably older than golf itself, so all the (mostly) good rules/laws that are there to encourage/force ppl to stop smoking and reduce the occasions a non-smoker might smell smoke are fine by me, but whether either side likes it or not its still gonna happen on occasion be it on a golf course or in the street

The restrictions & rules need to be accepted by smokers and that its still going to happen on occasion needs to be accepted by non-smokers. Which brings us back to the original topic

While it may be desirable, smokefree golf courses is not (yet) a right. The decent ppl will ask those in the group if they mind and respect the reply (& I’m equally sure there’s decent PP’s who will sometimes say go ahead even if they do mind)
If the problem is smell/health at least there’s few places better suited to dissipating smoke quickly than a golf course. If its about litter then the far bigger problem is the wrappers, cans, plastic tees & banana skins

None of us gets everything we want in life, its all a compromise

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I nearly replied to this on Monday to say that, despite playing 30+ 4BBB matches for my club’s seniors team, I could not recall one player being a smoker … then yesterday my playing partner smoked at least ten cigarettes on the way round 🙄.