Attending the flag.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm guessing Post No.8 gave you a good insight?

I think most of the other posts are simply judging the character of the player(s). Which would have been reasonable talking points, until it was revealed that the scenario didn't actually happen and that Player A or B do not actually exist :)
Most players in rules questions don’t exist it’s always Player A and B.

The posts just show the general public have different attitudes to something allowed under the rules.

LizAig

Visit site
The pros do many things within the rules for which many regular golfers criticise them. One thing they don't do is ask their opponent to attend the flag while he or she is thinking about their own upcoming putt.
Don’t most Pros have caddies to attend the flag!

D

Deleted member 31467

I really don't understand why some of the people on this forum actually play golf. I do it for 4 hours of enjoyable company but some of you lot seem to be on a mission to wind people up 🙄

RichA

Visit site
Don’t most Pros have caddies to attend the flag!
Any golfer can have a caddy, if they need certain needs tended to.
If Player B would like to have a full set of brand new Mizunos but can't afford them he has to make do with what he's got.
If Player A can't afford a caddy and is playing with Player B then I guess he has to make do with flag in or flat out.
That's life.

D

Deleted member 15344

Any golfer can have a caddy, if they need certain needs tended to.
If Player B would like to have a full set of brand new Mizunos but can't afford them he has to make do with what he's got.
If Player A can't afford a caddy and is playing with Player B then I guess he has to make do with flag in or flat out.
That's life.

So let me get this right - if you’re playing with someone and they ask you if could attend the flag you would say no ?

And all because you are there to enjoy your game and not wait hand and foot on someone ?

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think that as the rules allow it, it's not unreasonable for A to ask, and rather inconsiderate of B to refuse. So my take on such a situation is that lack of consideration is a breach of rule 1.2 (for which, read B is an awkward cuss). But its not considered a serious breach, and there's no penalty (for which, read B is allowed to be an awkward cuss). Which means A would have to lump it, and continue with someone he considers an awkward cuss.

If it's a social round, then A will have to think whether he wants to play with B again in future. If its a formal match, then one of them is going to get knocked out, so at least they won't have to.

RichA

Visit site
So let me get this right - if you’re playing with someone and they ask you if could attend the flag you would say no ?

And all because you are there to enjoy your game and not wait hand and foot on someone ?
That would largely depend on whether I was Player B or Player A's caddy. Never having met Player A, I have no experience to fall back on.

D

Deleted member 15344

That would largely depend on whether I was Player B or Player A's caddy. Never having met Player A, I have no experience to fall back on.

🤷‍♂️ not sure what sort of answer that is but it was a simple question

If you are playing a round with someone and they asked for the flag to be attended would you say no ? Two players playing golf no caddies

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
Most players in rules questions don’t exist it’s always Player A and B.

The posts just show the general public have different attitudes to something allowed under the rules.
Not much of a surprise. The Rules "allow" many things - just because they are "allowed" doesn't mean that they are followed or necessary. Eg, taking free relief from GUR is allowed, but not required; the shot from the GUR might be easier than from the relief area.

Steven Rules

Visit site
One thing they don't do is ask their opponent to attend the flag while he or she is thinking about their own upcoming putt.
You have been watching too much television. On the major (televised) tours the pros are required to have caddies. But in the lower tier and local pro events they often don't have caddies and it is very common to see them helping each other out by, for example, attending the flagstick for each other.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The player asking for the flag to be attended is taking this hobby far too seriously. IMO there is no longer any need to attend flag since the rule change about putting with the flag in, that said I'd attend if asked but if I knew the player well enough I'd ask what's the point.

Steven Rules

Visit site
The Rules answer was given at #8 and (I wish) the thread should have stopped when it was revealed the alleged refusal was made up. Now here I am prolonging the agony.

This question is solely for those who say they wouldn't attend the flagstick for another player, or that the other player is being selfish for asking. Would you help another player search for their ball? Why or why not? The Rules don't require a player to help another player search for their ball.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The Rules answer was given at #8 and (I wish) the thread should have stopped when it was revealed the alleged refusal was made up. Now here I am prolonging the agony.

This question is solely for those who say they wouldn't attend the flagstick for another player, or that the other player is being selfish for asking. Would you help another player search for their ball? Why or why not? The Rules don't require a player to help another player search for their ball.
Yes I just wanted to know the official ruling.

Just one other thing.
why wasn’t attending the flag taken out as a choice, especially if players can say no.?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
The player asking for the flag to be attended is taking this hobby far too seriously. IMO there is no longer any need to attend flag since the rule change about putting with the flag in, that said I'd attend if asked but if I knew the player well enough I'd ask what's the point.
The player putting may need the flagstick to be in the hole to enable them to focus correctly on the target. However they may also be in the 'flagstick out' camp when the ball reaches the hole.

Last edited:
Reactions: Val

stevieb15

Hacker
Visit site
The player putting may need the flagstick to be in the hole to enable them to focus correctly on the target. However they may also be in the 'flagstick out' camp when the ball reaches the hole.
It’s odd that prior to the rules change no one objected to attending but now it’s an issue for some. I’m a resolute “inner” but last weekend the angle of the flag in the wind meant I needed the flag to be attended for an uphill 6 footer and of course my playing partner obliged. As long as it isn’t every putt, every hole, every round, I really can’t see issue.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Some good insight into golfers here.
my take for what it’s worth.
if someone asked it’s not a problem.
it’s going to be very rare if ever we see this but I just wanted to know what the rules says, given the option is clearly mentioned in the rules of golf.
…as mentioned, not that rare given one of my Sunday three ball group twice asked for the flag to be attended. That said, that’s the 1st time I’ve heard the request being made since the rule was changed to allow us to leave the flag in.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
This is exactly why the lad in my Sunday comp three ball group twice asked for the flag to be attended.

Swango1980

Visit site
…as mentioned, not that rare given one of my Sunday three ball group twice asked for the flag to be attended. That said, that’s the 1st time I’ve heard the request being made since the rule was changed to allow us to leave the flag in.
I think you just helped confirm it is rare, if it is the first time you've heard the request since the rule change (I.e. since 2019?)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I think you just helped confirm it is rare, if it is the first time you've heard the request since the rule change (I.e. since 2019?)
Yup. Rare, but when he asked I immediately recognised why he was asking. And it’s not a bad idea given that though our new expensive metal flag sticks taper at the base, they are still pretty chunky.

BTW…I’m thinking we chose the new ones we have as they most certainly don’t bend and move much, if at all, in a strong wind, and that is an obvious benefit when putting with flag in…and I don’t need it attended in a strong wind as I would have in the past.