Attending the flagstick

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
No I didn't! Though I could have! Therefore my problem!

Sorry Mate i meant in general not in the specific case you mentioned earlier , i agree if you didnt ask then you deserve the pen..

If you dont want to take the risk then you dont have the flag attended.
Surely thats a bit harsh tho .. we all have asked on numerous times have we not ? If its a long putt or a 2 tiered green wher you cant see the hole , what other option do u have ?

Maybe its just me but id be peeved if i asked for it to be removed and it ended up hitting flag ..

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Sorry Mate i meant in general not in the specific case you mentioned earlier , i agree if you didnt ask then you deserve the pen..

Maybe its just me but id be peeved if i asked for it to be removed and it ended up hitting flag ..

Same applies....It's your responsibility!

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site

Is there any reason why it cant be worderd something like , unless the person attending the flag is the caddy of the player , the flag is not considered tended unless expressely asked for by the player (or along those lines)

[h=3]17-2. Unauthorized Attendance[/h]If an opponent or his caddie in match play or a fellow-competitor or hiscaddie in stroke play, without the player’s authority or prior knowledge, attends, removes or holds up the flagstick during the stroke or while the ball is in motion, and the act might influence the movement of the ball, theopponent or fellow-competitor incurs the applicable penalty.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
In the winter there is a note up at my course asking that in social games we either have the flag in or out but not attended.

I suspect the R&A wouldn't have a problem with that. They have said in another context "It is after all winter golf. Just be grateful you can be outside and play"

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
No - at all times.
I hope their members don't find out that all their qualifiers weren't.

I suspect that EG would not be happy as US research has shown that there is a significant advantage in leaving the flagstick in the hole. But that of course would mean handicaps are possibly too low.

Last edited:

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I hope their members don't find out that all their qualifiers weren't.

I suspect that EG would not be happy as US research has shown that there is a significant advantage in leaving the flagstick in the hole. But that of course would mean handicaps are possibly too low.
For our qualifiers, normal rules re the flagstick still apply. In my experience, putts are probably less likely to drop in if you leave the pin in. Very often the putt seems to deflect out off the flagstick, especially if hit with any pace. Only if you hit the pin absolutely square on is the putt more likely to go in. The effective area of the hole has to be reduced. :mmm:

Last edited:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
For our qualifiers, normal rules re the flagstick still apply. In my experience, putts are probably less likely to drop in if you leave the pin in. Very often the putt seems to deflect out off the flagstick, especially if hit with any pace. Only if you hit the pin absolutely square on is the putt more likely to go in. The effective area of the hole has to be reduced. :mmm:

Dave Pelz's 'research' with Perfy would indicate that leaving the flagstick in would actually increase the likelihood of putts dropping - as per Rulefan's post!

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site

Simple physics says that a ball hitting the flagstick will finish closer than it would if it missed the flagstick. Most players do not intend to leave the ball short, whether putting or chipping.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Simple physics says that a ball hitting the flagstick will finish closer than it would if it missed the flagstick. Most players do not intend to leave the ball short, whether putting or chipping.
If the ball arrives at the hole dead weight, irrespective of whether the pin is in or not, it should drop in. If the ball is hit harder than this and doesn't hit the stick square on, there is chance that it will be deflected out of the hole. At least, that is what always seems to happen to me! :mmm:

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
If the ball arrives at the hole dead weight, irrespective of whether the pin is in or not, it should drop in. If the ball is hit harder than this and doesn't hit the stick square on, there is chance that it will be deflected out of the hole. At least, that is what always seems to happen to me! :mmm:

People always tend to remember the bad breaks and forget to good ones.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

It's highly likely that many of those putts would have lipped out! Though they would have had to travel slightly further, so gravity might have led to them dropping in.

I'll stick with Pelz's statistical results.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
It's highly likely that many of those putts would have lipped out! Though they would have had to travel slightly further, so gravity might have led to them dropping in.

I'll stick with Pelz's statistical results.
If I have to hole a putt or chip from off the green to halve a hole or whatever, I always take the pin out, because I feel that I have a greater chance of holing it without it bouncing off the stick and coming out. How was Dave Pelz's research carried out?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
If I have to hole a putt or chip from off the green to halve a hole or whatever, I always take the pin out, because I feel that I have a greater chance of holing it without it bouncing off the stick and coming out. How was Dave Pelz's research carried out?

Think it was loosely based of Newton's earlier stab at it :D

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

Check out his books! I can't remember which one (Short Game or Putting Bible) it was in. As an ex-NASA physicist, I'm almost certain he would have carried it out pretty 'scientifically'! He found that leaving the flag in achieved better results. He used his 'perfect striking' Robot 'Perfy'

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Completely off topic (but that's been answered) did you know that the more pronounced dimple ridge on a Wilson ball actually promotes a more acute rate of decent after hitting a flagstick than any other ball!

It's true I tells ya :)

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
My understanding was that the flag stick is best left in for downhill putts and taken out for uphill simply because a miss long, downhill is more likely to gather pace and run further so hitting the flagstick downhill is potentially going to stop the ball or slow its momentum

I wonder if Peltz took into account up and down hill for his research?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
My understanding was that the flag stick is best left in for downhill putts and taken out for uphill simply because a miss long, downhill is more likely to gather pace and run further so hitting the flagstick downhill is potentially going to stop the ball or slow its momentum

Bit of a golfing myth imo. But if it helps your confidence, then fine!

There may be more justification for leaving the flag in on downhill putts/less justification on uphill ones. But that's secondary to the question about whether more putts are likely to be sunk with it in or out.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Bit of a golfing myth imo. But if it helps your confidence, then fine!

There may be more justification for leaving the flag in on downhill putts/less justification on uphill ones. But that's secondary to the question about whether more putts are likely to be sunk with it in or out.

How can you say it's a myth, I don't know any more than you whether it's true or not?

I agree it's a different question to whether the ball will drop more or less but my point is relevant as I'm certain that the speed of the ball reaching the cup plays a large part in deciding whether the ball hits the flagstick and bounces off it or whether it deadens the pace and helps it to drop, whether the ball is going down hill or uphill will IMO affect the result