Attending the flag.

King Julian

Visit site
It’s odd that prior to the rules change no one objected to attending but now it’s an issue for some. I’m a resolute “inner” but last weekend the angle of the flag in the wind meant I needed the flag to be attended for an uphill 6 footer and of course my playing partner obliged. As long as it isn’t every putt, every hole, every round, I really can’t see issue.
King Julian would point out that the reason to have the flag attended no longer exists, stevieb15 had the flag attended from 6 feet ! Sorry king julian would not be doing this.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
King Julian would point out that the reason to have the flag attended no longer exists, stevieb15 had the flag attended from 6 feet ! Sorry king julian would not be doing this.
King Julian has made an error. A player has an option to have the flag attended.
There is no requirement for a reason to exercise this option.
The player's choice gives the reason for the flag to be attended.

If any player chooses to never to exercise this option (and it would appear that King Julian is such a player), then that player's choice has no bearing or influence over another player's choice.

Last edited:

salfordlad

Visit site
King Julian has made an error. A player has an option to have the flag attended.
There is no requirement for a reason to exercise this option.
The player's choice gives the reason for the flag to be attended.

If any player chooses to never to exercise this option (and it would appear that King Julian is such a player), then that player's choice has no influence over another player's choice.
Indeed. King Julian has firmly placed the Royal noggin in a part of the Royal personage where the sun doesn't shine.

D-S

Visit site
Like most on here I never had a problem attending the flag for people as this was part of the game. Since 2019 though I can't remember anyone ever asking for a flag to be attended.
I did have two odd situations pre 2019.
One where my opponent wanted me to attend the flag on almost every putt even those of 3 to 4 feet, this was tricky as you had to pull the flag out quickly to avoid the ball hitting it - I think he did it as some sort of pathetic gamesmanship just to irritate people, not sure why.
The other occasion was when a player in a Society wanted the person who was attending the flag to stand 3 or 4 paces away from the flag when attending it - this meant you had to rush back to the pin to pull it out when he struck the putt. He claimed that although he wanted the flag attended, having someone stood by the hole put him off - odd.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Like most on here I never had a problem attending the flag for people as this was part of the game. Since 2019 though I can't remember anyone ever asking for a flag to be attended.
One where my opponent wanted me to attend the flag on almost every putt even those of 3 to 4 feet, this was tricky as you had to pull the flag out quickly to avoid the ball hitting it - I think he did it as some sort of pathetic gamesmanship just to irritate people, not sure why.
The other occasion was when a player in a Society wanted the person who was attending the flag to stand 3 or 4 paces away from the flag when attending it - this meant you had to rush back to the pin to pull it out when he struck the putt. He claimed that although he wanted the flag attended, having someone stood by the hole put him off - odd.

Now, I would always attend the flag if asked, and I've done it a few times since the changes but I definitely would not do it under a circumstance which you describe. Let's say you pull it out and are a fraction late, his ball hits the flagstick and bounces 15 feet away - who is going to take the blame for that one? 😤😤

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Now, I would always attend the flag if asked, and I've done it a few times since the changes but I definitely would not do it under a circumstance which you describe. Let's say you pull it out and are a fraction late, his ball hits the flagstick and bounces 15 feet away - who is going to take the blame for that one? 😤😤
No-one. There is no penalty and the ball is played as it lies.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
No-one. There is no penalty and the ball is played as it lies.

I'm not saying there's a penalty, but is the player going to blame the flag attendee for pulling the flag out too late so the ball hit the flagstick instead of dropping in the hole, with the attendee claiming the problem is that he has to move 3 or 4 paces after the ball is struck and just got there too late?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That’s just stupid .
you can only stand the length of your arm away If your holding the flag.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
You are correct.
Out of interest, do you know if that description/definition of 'attending' was new in the 2019 rules - or was it more long-standing than that?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Out of interest, do you know if that description/definition of 'attending' was new in the 2019 rules - or was it more long-standing than that?
Prior to 2019 the Rule said 'If the flagstick is in the hole and anyone stands near it while a stroke is being made, he is deemed to be attending the flagstick.'

Last edited:

D-S

Visit site
As per my mail both flag attending scenarios happened pre 2019 as I haven't seen anyone be asked to do so since. If I had known that I had to be holding the pin when the ball was struck, I would have definitely said so as it was all a bit of a rigmarole.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Prior to 2019 the Rule said 'If the flagstick is in the hole and anyone stands near it while a stroke is being made, he is deemed to be attending the flagstick.'
Back then…I stand within easy arms length of the flag and even though you hadn’t asked me to attend the flag I was deemed to be doing so. And so if the flag was hit by a shot from off the green but of course it hadn’t been removed because I wasn’t asked to remove it, was it not a penalty to the player who hit the flag with his shot. Might be misrecalling that though.

Last edited:

Steven Rules

Visit site
You are correct.
Confusingly, the next section below that in 13.2b(1) implies a person doesn't actually have to be holding the flagstick to be deemed to be attending it:

The player is treated as having authorized the flagstick to be attended if:
  • The player’s caddie is holding the flagstick in, above or next to the hole or is standing right next to the hole when the stroke is made, even if the player is not aware the caddie is doing so,
  • The player asks any other person to attend the flagstick and that person does so, or
  • The player sees any other person holding the flagstick in, above or next to the hole or standing right next to the hole, and the player makes the stroke without asking that person to move away or to leave the flagstick in the hole.