Card submitted but not included in results

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Hi folks, some more advice please if you'd be so kind - the below happened at an open strokeplay event (medal)...

Upon registration, each player was given their card etc and told to input their scores into the computer after the round.

Player A (a home member of said club) completed his round, checked and signed his card, entered his scores into the computer and handed the card into the marshalls/organisers in the scoring room.

However, when checking the results online, A's score does not appear.

Upon subsequently querying it, the organisers told the player (paraphrasing with names/scores removed):

'he shot X gross X net. However, the card was not formally submitted into the competition on the computer. We had another abandoned round like that so just assumed that he was not submitting. We can only think for some reason he did not save the score. All players were told to enter directly in terminal like any match.'.

Player B is also a home member of said club and played in the same group as A, along with C (an away player)

B & C followed the same process as A and their scores are correctly published (although presumably B & C finalised theor entry into the computer correctly).

My understanding is that the A has suitably fulfilled his obligations under rule 6-6 and the organisers are at fault for not incuding the card. The player's score is simply missing, it is not showing as a DQ or a N/R.

Unfortunately this is not A's first issue at said club and is understandably feeling hard done by, whilst happy to admit a mistake if he has made one.

I'd appreciate some advice please folks, firstly as to whether my understanding of the relevant rules is correct and secondly on how to proceed.

Luckily this does not affect the prizes awarded but does has other implications (including handicap)

Thanks in advance 👍

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Whilst the obvious first response is that the organisers cannot require players to enter their scores in a computer system 6-6b/8 (they can request them to) so he cannot be excluded for that, the missing information is what were players requested to do to return their cards, and did the player comply with that?

If he did then they should include his score.

oltimer

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If he handed his Card in to the Ctee then he has fulfilled his requirements - 6-6b/8 says input to a pc may not be a cond of comp.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
'he shot X gross X net. However, the card was not formally submitted into the competition on the computer. We had another abandoned round like that so just assumed that he was not submitting. We can only think for some reason he did not save the score. All players were told to enter directly in terminal like any match.'.

That is contrary to both Decision 6-6b/8

6-6b/8

Requirement That Score Be Entered into Computer

Q.May a Committee, as a condition of competition, provide that a competitor must enter his score into a computer?
A.No. Such a condition would modify Rule 6-6b.

and CONGU Decision 1(m)

Dec.1(m) Competition conditions that apply solely to the UHS
Q. The administration of handicapping has become increasingly the domain of the computer resulting in Handicap Committees requiring competitors to provide assistance in various ways beyond that required by the Rules of Golf. These include:
• total the score and apply the correct handicap;
• enter and total Stableford points on their card;
• on completion of the round enter scores hole by hole into a computer terminal;
• enter on the scorecard their computer reference number;
• indicate on the card scores to be adjusted by the application of Nett Double Bogey or the Stableford formula;
Can the Committee in charge of the competition, or Handicap Committee, impose a penalty under the Rules of Golf when a player fails to comply with a request of the nature listed above?

A.
R&A Rules Limited has confirmed that ’provided a player fulfils the requirements of Rule 6-6 a penalty cannot be imposed under the Rules of Golf for failure to comply with these conditions.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Whilst the obvious first response is that the organisers cannot require players to enter their scores in a computer system 6-6b/8 (they can request them to) so he cannot be excluded for that, the missing information is what were players requested to do to return their cards, and did the player comply with that?

If he did then they should include his score.

Thanks Duncan, yes the player handed his card in to an official. The same official who accepted cards from other players whose scores were recorded

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Presumably the right course of action would be to re-open the competition, enter the card, then re-close it?

This may affect the player's handicap and playing record as well as potentially the CSS

Thanks for the help, the organisers are being quite defensive amd unhelpful hence me wanting to get my facts 100% correct before escalating (maybe tomthe county union)

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Presumably the right course of action would be to re-open the competition, enter the card, then re-close it?

This may affect the player's handicap and playing record as well as potentially the CSS

Thanks for the help, the organisers are being quite defensive amd unhelpful hence me wanting to get my facts 100% correct before escalating (maybe tomthe county union)
That would be the correct action.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site

Rulefans responded to your question but I would just highlight that the players next step in the case of a defensive committee is to ask politely, in writing, to be advised in writing why he has been excluded from the competition results.

Trying to explain the unexplainable in writing tends to focus the mind - it can seem remarkably easy verbally...

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Rulefans responded to your question but I would just highlight that the players next step in the case of a defensive committee is to ask politely, in writing, to be advised in writing why he has been excluded from the competition results.

Trying to explain the unexplainable in writing tends to focus the mind - it can seem remarkably easy verbally...

Thanks guys (again) for your help - this forum really can be a useful resource

:thup: