Attending the flagstick

effayjay

Club Champion
Visit site
Whilst playing today a FC was faced with a very long put. He asked me to attend the flag-stick which I did standing next to it but not actually holding or touching it. He declined to put until I actually took hold of the stick. I queried this and both he and another player insisted that the rules stated that a person attending the flag-stick must take hold of it. Sounded illogical to me and having checked the rules can not see anything that supports their position.

Any thoughts?

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Your FC and the other player are bellends.

Just standing near it while a stroke is being made it is deemed that you are attending the flagstick. You don't have to hold it. He may want you to for his own sanity that you don't grab it and pull it out in time, but it's certainly not a ruling.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Your FC and the other player are bellends.

Just standing near it while a stroke is being made it is deemed that you are attending the flagstick. You don't have to hold it. He may want you to for his own sanity that you don't grab it and pull it out in time, but it's certainly not a ruling.

Indeed they are! :rolleyes: Possibly why they call it 'attending' rather than simply 'holding'!

But perhaps only from a Rules perspective.

I can still remember the look of terror on our H/Sec's face when my 35 footer was headed for the hole and he, as he was attending, couldn't get the Flagstick out of the hole!

Of course, the converse is also true - and may be more dangerous. It's possible that players simply stand near the Flagstick, therefore are deemed to be attending it, even though that wasn't their intention. If they don't realise the consequence, then similar issues can arise. so it's always best to confirm they are attending (or not)!

S

Snelly

I like the local rule they have at the RAC club. The flag cannot be attended. In or out is the only option. Works well. Saves time and avoids the hole being crowned.

And yes, I know it can't be a proper local rule...

Spuddy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I like the local rule they have at the RAC club. The flag cannot be attended. In or out is the only option. Works well. Saves time and avoids the hole being crowned.

what do they do on long putts when they can't see the hole?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site

Is this only in the winter?

Spuddy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Ah ok. I'm not sure how it'll save time though? You might be futhest from the hole and want it out and then the next guy wants it back in.

G

guest100718

looks like it- seems another club making new rules to suit themselves.

In the winter there is a note up at my course asking that in social games we either have the flag in or out but not attended.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
I can still remember the look of terror on our H/Sec's face when my 35 footer was headed for the hole and he, as he was attending, couldn't get the Flagstick out of the hole!

Of course, the converse is also true - and may be more dangerous. It's possible that players simply stand near the Flagstick, therefore are deemed to be attending it, even though that wasn't their intention. If they don't realise the consequence, then similar issues can arise. so it's always best to confirm they are attending (or not)!

Open to correction but isnt it then another of the silly rules that the penalty is then added to your score if another player fails to do as requested by you and attend/ remove the flagstick

Is there any reason why it cant be worderd something like , unless the person attending the flag is the caddy of the player , the flag is not considered tended unless expressely asked for by the player (or along those lines)

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Open to correction but isnt it then another of the silly rules that the penalty is then added to your score if another player fails to do as requested by you and attend/ remove the flagstick

Golf Rules/Penalties are all based around the player taking personal responsibility for pretty much everything over which they 'have control'. So not silly at all.

[/COLOR]Is there any reason why it cant be worderd something like , unless the person attending the flag is the caddy of the player , the flag is not considered tended unless expressely asked for by the player (or along those lines)

See answer above.

Spuddy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
There's load in the 'decisions' on this. 17-3/2 talks about what happens if your opponent fails to remove the pin. Basically, if it's deliberatly left in then your opponent/FC is penalised but if it's stuck or they're not paying attention then tough luck and you get penalised.

Now how you prove its a deliberate act is another matter altogether.....

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
looks like it- seems another club making new rules to suit themselves.
For friendly games only, we have also been instructed to leave the pin in the hole while Winter Rules are in force, with no penalty for hitting the flagstick if it is in the hole. Saves wear and tear to the green around the hole. :)

Last edited:

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Golf Rules/Penalties are all based around the player taking personal responsibility for pretty much everything over which they 'have control'. So not silly at all.

See answer above.
But you did take responsibility you asked the guy to take out the flag, if he has a brain fart moment or flag gets stuck , how can that be your fault ? what control can you have over him except ask ? what else can you do ?
Always bn curious on this one

Spuddy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
But you did take responsibility you asked the guy to take out the flag, if he has a brain fart moment or flag gets stuck , how can that be your fault ? what control can you have over him except ask ? what else can you do ?

If you dont want to take the risk then you dont have the flag attended.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

No I didn't! Though I could have! Therefore my problem!