Don't attend the flag in Winter?

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
We visited another local club a couple of weeks ago, where we were asked not to attend the flag to minimise damage to the greens over the Winter period. Either leave it in or take it out. This seems entirely sensible to me, to prevent the depressed doughnut effect around the hole on soft wet greens, but this seems to risk a penalty if a long putt should strike the flagstick. So maybe Winter Local Rules should be amended to remove this penalty. Any views on this?

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
We visited another local club a couple of weeks ago, where we were asked not to attend the flag to minimise damage to the greens over the Winter period. Either leave it in or take it out. This seems entirely sensible to me, to prevent the depressed doughnut effect around the hole, but this seems to risk a penalty if a long putt should strike the flagstick. So maybe Winter Local Rules should be amended to remove this penalty. Any views on this?

All very smart in non qualifying rounds.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We visited another local club a couple of weeks ago, where we were asked not to attend the flag to minimise damage to the greens over the Winter period. Either leave it in or take it out. This seems entirely sensible to me, to prevent the depressed doughnut effect around the hole on soft wet greens, but this seems to risk a penalty if a long putt should strike the flagstick. So maybe Winter Local Rules should be amended to remove this penalty. Any views on this?

I was always told in the winter dont need to remove the flag full stop.. just leave it in even if putting into the hole.. speeds up the round a bit and saves wear and tear on the hole

G

guest100718

The specimen Local Winter Rules could be amended by the R&A to remove the penalty for hitting the flagstick if putting on the green though!

Hmmm... where should I lay this flag down...

D

Deleted member 15344

Our local rules request that the flag not to tended during all play except qualifying comps during winter rule period

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site

Del I cant really tell if your being serious or on the wind up,however if your stupid enough to leave it on a line that could be hit,or
your group are such bad putters they are miles off line and pace that there is a possibility it could be hit may I suggest moving it well out the way.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Del I cant really tell if your being serious or on the wind up,however if your stupid enough to leave it on a line that could be hit,or
your group are such bad putters they are miles off line and pace that there is a possibility it could be hit may I suggest moving it well out the way.

You may well laugh but an opponent I played in an inter club match once deliberately over hit a putt to hit the flagstick [placed on the green]and claim the hole.
The meal was a quiet affair and our club never extended the invitation again.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
You may well laugh but an opponent I played in an inter club match once deliberately over hit a putt to hit the flagstick [placed on the green]and claim the hole.

I was not laughing and stand by what I said,deliberate is a big difference from being plain dumb imo

D

Deleted member 15344

If the club have requested the flag to remain in the hole then they will be unable to hold qualifiers - if the request as part of the LR then its fine to hit the flag and not be penalised. We do it every year for non Q roll ups. Any KOs then the flag must be treated as normal

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
Our local rules request that the flag not to tended during all play except qualifying comps during winter rule period

It would be likely the flag will be in a different place for qualifiers then general play anyhow would it not. The mucky bit from the quilfier can be taken out of play the following morning. Seems all very sensible.

TheClaw

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

I read it thinking the flag is still in the hole in del's scenario (rather than lying on the green)?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Its against the rules though...

I didnt say I was correctly told lol

the amount of "dodgy" rules I picked up playing with my grandad and dad over the years (if a bunker has a small bit of water in it.. its out of play.. free drop..) if you cant find your ball but you have a rough idea just "put one down"

when playing with them I just smile and do it properly lol and when grandad gives me a 5 foot putt I go "ill just finish this for practice grandad"

I dont mind this "rule" about the flag tho in the winter.. certainly makes the round flow

G

guest100718

Like most for social golf we ask you have the flag either have the flag in or out and not attended

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site

It's still a penalty if you hit the flagstick when it is in the hole!

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It would be likely the flag will be in a different place for qualifiers then general play anyhow would it not. The mucky bit from the quilfier can be taken out of play the following morning. Seems all very sensible.

not too many clubs move the flag just for a comp, certainly dont at ours. very sensible approach this and one all clubs should adopt imo

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site

:confused::confused::confused:
Don't you lose the hole for hitting the flagstick?

But back to Delc's original, in bounce games and casual play, you & the club can pretty much do as you like, but for Q games and competitive matches, the penalty will have to stand. You can't have a LR that waives it. (Ok, I know the sematic arguments about can/can't, should/shouldn't when it comes to LRs - but you know what I mean ...)