Don't attend the flag in Winter?

D

Deleted member 16999

:)

On the other hand, it did occur to me that a bigger hole might solve his problem about hitting the flagstick - have a 12 inch hole, and the ball could drop in easily without touching the stick. :):)

Good idea and if we can make Golf Courses tree free zones were sorted😃

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We try and keep on the greens all year bar frost and the green staff do a great job by moving the holes both day on a weekend to ensure one area of the green isn't damaged or worn, especially if wet by the heavy traffic going through. We always take the flag out as per rules and as per normal even in the roll ups, and of course mandatory in qualifiers and winter knockout

Mike07

Head Pro
Visit site
We just had an email from our club which had the following:

A little known local custom during the winter is that when playing social golf we would ask that you either leave the pins in or take them out, but do not have them attended. This helps prevent compaction and those dreaded footprint indentations near the hole, that keep our balls from going in.

very sensible

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
We just had an email from our club which had the following:

A little known local custom during the winter is that when playing social golf we would ask that you either leave the pins in or take them out, but do not have them attended. This helps prevent compaction and those dreaded footprint indentations near the hole, that keep our balls from going in.

very sensible

You should really play to the Rules of Golf, even for social games. It seems silly to me to ignore a certain rule for friendly games, but to enforce it for qualifiers. This is bound to cause confusion for less experienced players. As a sort of analogy, I played with a chap playing in his first medal last year. On the 1st green, he putted up to about 6" and then picked his ball up because he was used to getting gimmes in friendly matches!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15344

You should really play to the Rules of Golf, even for social games. It seems silly to me to ignore a certain rule for friendly games, but to enforce it for qualifiers. This is bound to cause confusion for less experienced players.

Do you mean like gimmies in social games ?

We don't have any confusion because the wording is quite clear to all

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
You should really play to the Rules of Golf, even for social games. It seems silly to me to ignore a certain rule for friendly games, but to enforce it for qualifiers. This is bound to cause confusion for less experienced players.

Sorry but that's just nonsense. If you are playing a qualifier then even the less experienced providing they have a smattering of rules understanding will know that you attend or remove the flag

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

doubtful, in a social game how many "gimmies" are given in within a putters length or how many cheeky mulligans are given now and again. no-one would dare do it in a proper match / event though

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Gimmes are fine in Matchplay, but not in stroke play.

shouldnt you play to the same rules all the time though it might get confusing? which it doesnt so dont see the problem with these temp rules to protect the courses . End of the day we will be the ones complaining if the greens become in a poor state because of it

D

Deleted member 15344

Gimmes are fine in Matchplay, but not in stroke play.

That didn't really answer the question

We all know that regualry in swindles and social games and society meets plenty play gimmies.

Unless you can say that you have putted out every single putt in a social game where Stableford is played

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
That didn't really answer the question

We all know that regualry in swindles and social games and society meets plenty play gimmies.

Unless you can say that you have putted out every single putt in a social game where Stableford is played

Our Tuesday group allows gimmes of less than about 3 feet by mutual consent, but we are all experienced golfers and know not to do this in qualifiers. Btw, also in a medal competition, I have had a FC pick up his ball because he could no longer score a Stableford point (he was used to playing Stablefords!). He was a bit upset when I told him that he had to replace his ball, add a penalty shot and then finish the hole!

Last edited:

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
So maybe Winter Local Rules should be amended to remove this penalty. Any views on this?

but I am suggesting that the R&A specimen Local Winter Rules could be amended to allow this. That was the whole point of this topic!

33-8/11 Local rule waiving penalty for ball striking unattended flagstick

Q. Is it permissible for a Committee to make a Local Rule for winter play waiving the penalty incurred under Rule 17-3c (Ball Striking Flagstick When Unattended) in order to reduce the damage caused to the area around the hole and to speed up play?

A. No

Delc - does that not give you the definitive answer once and for all?

The man asked you a question and you ignored it.
How rude

D

Deleted member 15344

Our Tuesday group allows gimmes of less than about 3 feet by mutual consent, but we are all experienced golfers and know not to do this in qualifiers. Btw, also in a medal competition, I have had a FC pick up his ball because he could no longer score a Stableford point (he was used to playing Stablefords!). He was a bit upset when I told him that he had to replace his ball, add a penalty shot and then finish the hole!

Thank you for proving my point perfectly :thup:

The rest of the post has zero relevance to the thread

Mike07

Head Pro
Visit site
You should really play to the Rules of Golf, even for social games. It seems silly to me to ignore a certain rule for friendly games, but to enforce it for qualifiers. This is bound to cause confusion for less experienced players. As a sort of analogy, I played with a chap playing in his first medal last year. On the 1st green, he putted up to about 6" and then picked his ball up because he was used to getting gimmes in friendly matches!

Pretty straight forward if you ask me and an extremely sensible thing to do during winter to save greens

D

Deleted member 15344

So why can't the specimen Local Winter Rules reflect this?

You have been told this before and you have ignored it

Are you on the wind up ?

33-8/11 Local rule waiving penalty for ball striking unattended flagstick

Q. Is it permissible for a Committee to make a Local Rule for winter play waiving the penalty incurred under Rule 17-3c (Ball Striking Flagstick When Unattended) in order to reduce the damage caused to the area around the hole and to speed up play?

A. No