Don't attend the flag in Winter?

user2010

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Why would any Club have qualifiers in Winter when the Greens are so soft that a LR has to be (wrongly) introduced?
Just play Non-Qualifiers/Fun Comps on Temps, easy, job done.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Why would any Club have qualifiers in Winter when the Greens are so soft that a LR has to be (wrongly) introduced?
Just play Non-Qualifiers/Fun Comps on Temps, easy, job done.

Our Southern English club plays qualifiers throughout the Winter months, weather permitting. It would only require a minor change to the specimen Local Winter Rules to remove the penalty for hitting the flagstick when it is in the hole, when putting from on the green, to remove the requirement for attending the flag for longer putts. By the way we have some two tier greens where it is not always possible to see the hole from some parts of the green. If I can see the hole I will normally have the flagstick removed, but some players prefer to have it attended.

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
not too many clubs move the flag just for a comp, certainly dont at ours. very sensible approach this and one all clubs should adopt imo

I thought we moved the flags fridays before a qualifier :confused:

That said, they would still stay the week and get mucky I guess...

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Our Southern English club plays qualifiers throughout the Winter months, weather permitting. It would only require a minor change to the specimen Local Winter Rules to remove the penalty for hitting the flagstick when it is in the hole, when putting from on the green, to remove the requirement for attending the flag for longer putts. By the way we have some two tier greens where it is not always possible to see the hole from some parts of the green. If I can see the hole I will normally have the flagstick removed, but some players prefer to have it attended.

Your not getting it are you Delc?

It is not permissible under the the rules of golf to have a local rule that does this. A club could do something along those lines but it is not permitted and so any games played could not be Q comps. And it would not be appropriate for properly competitive matches to be played in those circumstances

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Bounce games we do this all the time. If we're all miles from the flag or someone wants it in, we dont walk up to take it out just to walk back and putt.

Saves time, saves wear. Sensible and should be a part of winter golf at clubs that have soft greens.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Your not getting it are you Delc?

It is not permissible under the the rules of golf to have a local rule that does this. A club could do something along those lines but it is not permitted and so any games played could not be Q comps. And it would not be appropriate for properly competitive matches to be played in those circumstances

I know it's not permissible as the rules stand, but I am suggesting that the R&A specimen Local Winter Rules could be amended to allow this. That was the whole point of this topic!

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I know it's not permissible as the rules stand, but I am suggesting that the R&A specimen Local Winter Rules could be amended to allow this. That was the whole point of this topic!

If only I could be bothered to dig out the last thread you started on this subject....but it's late and I can't be.

1. You've had the answer (again)
2. It's a complete red herring. You only need to take the flag out the same number of times and standing still right next to the flag to tend it is unnecessary ie you can comply with the rules as written with just a little care in your procedure. Sadly many can't be bothered so we end up with these unnecessary issues.
3. Why you continually want to fundamentally change the game still beats me.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site

Arghhh.....

And we keep telling you the point is that the specimen local rule can't be amended in this way. A local rule - based on the specimen or otherwise - cannot over-rule a Rule of Golf. The R&A can't do it and they won't do it.

(Other guys... I was sure this precise topic of local rule to waive penalty for striking flagstick was subject of a decision - but I cant find it. Am l imagining it?)

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
(Other guys... I was sure this precise topic of local rule to waive penalty for striking flagstick was subject of a decision - but I cant find it. Am l imagining it?)

And just found it.

33-8/11 Local rule waiving penalty for ball striking unattended flagstick

Q. Is it permissible for a Committee to make a Local Rule for winter play waiving the penalty incurred under Rule 17-3c (Ball Striking Flagstick When Unattended) in order to reduce the damage caused to the area around the hole and to speed up play?

A. No

Delc - does that not give you the definitive answer once and for all?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site

And then you'll get LRs allowing relief from divots and the like.....
If greens are that soft that tending is causing damage there's a good case for temporary greens

D

Deleted member 16999

And just found it.

33-8/11 Local rule waiving penalty for ball striking unattended flagstick

Q. Is it permissible for a Committee to make a Local Rule for winter play waiving the penalty incurred under Rule 17-3c (Ball Striking Flagstick When Unattended) in order to reduce the damage caused to the area around the hole and to speed up play?

A. No

Delc - does that not give you the definitive answer once and for all?
Is that decision for 2016 only because he will ask again this time next year, approx 3 weeks after he mentions falling leaves.
Soon be April and the campaign for bigger holes returns😃

D

Deleted member 1147

My old club said not to 'tend the flag during the winter months (ie none qualifying competitions).
It prevented wear and tear around the hole.

D

Deleted member 21258

Never really understood the need to remove the pin or attend when on the green. We only ever remove the pin on birdie putts, otherwise on casual game always left in for speed and ease.

Just seems to me another example of a pointless rules in golf.:eek:

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Never really understood the need to remove the pin or attend when on the green. We only ever remove the pin on birdie putts, otherwise on casual game always left in for speed and ease.

Just seems to me another example of a pointless rules in golf.:eek:

Its pretty simple. The flag may keep a good putt out. how the flag leans can have a big baring on this.

I leave them in on downhill putts from just off the green. Like a back stop if I over hit.

Sure we leave it in on long putts in bounce games from time to time but most times someone will grab the flag.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
You may well laugh but an opponent I played in an inter club match once deliberately over hit a putt to hit the flagstick [placed on the green]and claim the hole.
The meal was a quiet affair and our club never extended the invitation again.

I'm intrigued by this. Surely the only person that gets penalised in this scenario is the person putting

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Is that decision for 2016 only because he will ask again this time next year, approx 3 weeks after he mentions falling leaves.
Soon be April and the campaign for bigger holes returns��

:)

On the other hand, it did occur to me that a bigger hole might solve his problem about hitting the flagstick - have a 12 inch hole, and the ball could drop in easily without touching the stick. :):)