Ball putted accidently hits attended flagstick which is out of the hole and goes in the hole

mbanks

Visit site
An opponent attended the flagstick out of the hole, just behind the hole. I hit a putt which went close to the hole and as he lifted the flagstick my ball glanced it and went in the hole.

The rules states as follows:

Ball Accidentally Hits Flagstick or Person Who Removed or Is Attending It. If the player’s ball in motion accidentally hits the flagstick or the person who removed or is attending it (or anything the person is holding), there is no penalty and the ball must be played as it lies.

He claimed as it was not going in the hole the ball cannot be claimed as a completed putt in the hole.

My understanding is that as my ball Accidentally hit the flagstick he was attending and went in the hole. My ball should be played as it lies i.e. It is in the hole.

Thoughts?

YandaB

Visit site
Can he point to the rule that says "as it was not going in the hole the ball cannot be claimed as a completed putt in the hole"?

Steven Rules

Visit site
If a flag is being attended, does it not have to be in the hole?
Attending the flagstick means to:

*Hold the flagstick in, above or next to the hole before the stroke to show the player where the hole is, and

*Then remove the flagstick during the stroke or after the stroke is made.

13.2b(1)

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
Attending the flagstick means to:

*Hold the flagstick in, above or next to the hole before the stroke to show the player where the hole is, and

*Then remove the flagstick during the stroke or after the stroke is made.

13.2b(1)
But it doesn't mean that the flagstick must be in the hole until the stroke is made.