Attending the flag.

RichA

Visit site
My take on this is that anyone unwilling to simply grab a flag for a PP should seriously question themselves in a mirror. Its harder work to be awkward than compliant.
On that basis, would you also join them in a little prayer before each drive or facilitate any other pointless superstitious rituals?
I spend half my life metaphorically bending over to keep people happy - the golf course is my escape from that.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
On that basis, would you also join them in a little prayer before each drive or facilitate any other pointless superstitious rituals?
I spend half my life metaphorically bending over to keep people happy - the golf course is my escape from that.

Mate I find people who get annoyed at "walking on lines" annoying when the greens at my club in summer are rock hard and my footprint isn't doing jack to their putt....

Doesn't mean I don't comply with their ridiculousness.

If you play with me you've got free reign to do as you please, talk when I'm playing shots all you want, walk all over my lines - it makes zero difference at all in my eyes, but some people are weird and for 4 hours ill allow them their weirdness and be respectful.

D

Deleted member 15344

None of that is part of the game of golf

Attending the flag is and always will be

You still see the pros having flags attended and even at the club flags have been attended

If someone wants the flag attended then they are entitled to ask and i would expect any normal golfer with a good level of etiquette , respect and common sense would attend the flag

It’s same as asking people to move out of eye line of moving ball makers

It’s a little thing and I’m not sure why someone wouldn’t attend the flag for someone else

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site

You still see the pros having flags attended and even at the club flags have been attended

If someone wants the flag attended then they are entitled to ask and i would expect any normal golfer with a good level of etiquette , respect and common sense would attend the flag

It’s a little thing and I’m not sure why someone wouldn’t attend the flag for someone else

My only assumption would be they're living a sad little life. :ROFLMAO:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Mate I find people who get annoyed at "walking on lines" annoying when the greens at my club in summer are rock hard and my footprint isn't doing jack to their putt....

Doesn't mean I don't comply with their ridiculousness.

If you play with me you've got free reign to do as you please, talk when I'm playing shots all you want, walk all over my lines - it makes zero difference at all in my eyes, but some people are weird and for 4 hours ill allow them their weirdness and be respectful.
A butterfly flapping its wings in Guatemala not make you pull back from that PW into the green then :ROFLMAO: . I'm with you, there could be a Mariachi band playing beside me and it would have zero impact. I couldn't play regularly with a fussy golfer but as occasional penance, I'll do what is asked without issue.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
My take on this is that anyone unwilling to simply grab a flag for a PP should seriously question themselves in a mirror. Its harder work to be awkward than compliant.
I dont think anyone is seriously saying they wouldnt. Its more a hypothetical extension of the flag in or out debate.
Certainly, anyone asking it to be attended by a pp, albeit within the rules, is being awkward in the first place.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I dont think anyone is seriously saying they wouldnt. Its more a hypothetical extension of the flag in or out debate.
Certainly, anyone asking it to be attended by a pp, albeit within the rules, is being awkward in the first place.

In the OP someone has flat out refused. :ROFLMAO:

stevieb15

Hacker
Visit site
From a personal perspective I was always delighted to get the chance to attend the flag, being that close to the hole, even when the incoming putt is from a different direction to mine gave me more than I could get from a simple read from behind the ball or flag.

Swango1980

Visit site
From a personal perspective I was always delighted to get the chance to attend the flag, being that close to the hole, even when the incoming putt is from a different direction to mine gave me more than I could get from a simple read from behind the ball or flag.
It doesn't take much to please some people ;)

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I think it's perfectly reasonable to ask for a flag to be attended and most certainly rude, and unnecessary to refuse. Some people like the flag out for various reasons, some like them left in for various reasons - attending the flag is quite a good compromise between the two for some people.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
A flat refusal to attend the flag for a player in singles matchplay or a strokeplay event with only two players in the group is extremely bad etiquette worthy of reporting to the club's committee or event organising committee, whichever is appropriate.
This would have been the case in all my golfing years and my view on this has not changed.
Personally, I do not ask for the flag to be attended for me these days, but that does not mean that I will never do so, because that option is still available.
I would most definitely report someone for a flat refusal to attend the flag. It would be my duty to do so.

As to how I would proceed in the given scenario - I'm not certain.
If I were Player A, I would probably take a lot of time lining up the putt with the flag in, walk up to the hole, remove the flag and then attempt to line up the putt with the flag out. Then go all the way back to the hole and replace the flag. Walk all the way back to my ball, line up again and take my putt.
If my ball subsequently hit the flagstick and did not drop in the hole, I would have another thing to include in my report.
All this would be a huge waste of my time both on the green and after the game. The other player would be responsible for having caused this waste of time.

Last edited:

RichA

Visit site

The pros do many things within the rules for which many regular golfers criticise them. One thing they don't do is ask their opponent to attend the flag while he or she is thinking about their own upcoming putt.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Some good insight into golfers here.
my take for what it’s worth.
if someone asked it’s not a problem.
it’s going to be very rare if ever we see this but I just wanted to know what the rules says, given the option is clearly mentioned in the rules of golf.

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
it’s going to be very rare if ever we see this but I just wanted to know what the rules says, given the option is clearly mentioned in the rules of golf.
And what have you learned?

Swango1980

Visit site
I'm guessing Post No.8 gave you a good insight?

I think most of the other posts are simply judging the character of the player(s). Which would have been reasonable talking points, until it was revealed that the scenario didn't actually happen and that Player A or B do not actually exist :)