Matchplay - shots given error dilemma... pls help!

GreggerKBR

Head Pro
Visit site
Played a pairs match on Sunday (thankfully we closed it out on 20th hole!!)

My handicap had increased the previous day. We should have been giving 6 shots.

Unfortunately I missed the conversation on calculating strokes given, so my handicap was incorrectly assumed.
I did not realise we'd "agreed" 7 shots in error. And this didn't come to my attention until we'd already played the 3rd (SI-7)
So what happened there/then was done/dusted. No complaint there.

So the questions/dilemma I have is...

When playing the 20th hole (2nd) in sudden death I brought this to everyone's attention, as we should not be giving them a shot on the 21st hole (3rd). My reasoning was that it was a mistake and the fact is a shot should not be given.

(It was their mistake as much as mine in that they did not ask me what my handicap was, or include me in the discussion.
I don't think that the timing of this matters much, whether I'd said it on 21st tee or 2-hours earlier, it was still prior to playing that hole.)

However, my partner said that we'd "agreed to 7-shots before setting off and we and we could not change it now".
So had we not won the 20th, we could potentially have lost it on 21st giving a shot we should NOT have been giving.

I had mixed feelings/thoughts:
Firstly that my partner is a real gentleman and we'd made the mistake so I'd have to live with it.

But also strongly felt that it's only fair to ensure the same mistake is not made twice and it would be unfair to knowingly concede a shot in error.
Almost seems like breaking a rule twice because you broke it in error the first time?
Does anyone know what the actual correct ruling/decision on this?

DCB

Visit site
So, you played off a higher handicap than you should have which affected the number of strokes given ..... See Rule 6-2

DQ for playing off an incorrect high handicap.

DCB

Visit site
My mistake .... sorry

Still confused about 6 shots and 7 shots ..... or am I misreading something ?

Last edited:

GreggerKBR

Head Pro
Visit site
But 6-2a does offer an interesting insight - "otherwise, the player must play off the declared handicap".

In this case my partner had unknowingly but incorrectly declared my handicap - hadn't he?
So perhaps from that moment on the fact is, by representing me in in a "pair" we have declared it.
So maybe he was actually completely right, we couldn't change it?

The fact that I was not present and the other three had mistakenly assumed my handicap is from that point irrelevant.
I guess under Rule 2-5 "I/we" could have made a claim. Our opposition is the VC.!

Also, seems I should have declared the mistake at the first possible moment though, either on green or before next tee when I knew the error had been made.

Oops, apologies - perhaps I should've posted this under "Rules" not "Lounge"

Last edited:

Three

Tour Rookie
Visit site
But 6-2a does offer an interesting insight - "otherwise, the player must play off the declared handicap".

In this case my partner had unknowingly but incorrectly declared my handicap - hadn't he?
So perhaps from that moment on the fact is, by representing me in in a "pair" we have declared it.

The fact that I was not present and the other three had mistakenly assumed my handicap is from that point irrelevant.
I guess under Rule 2-5 "I/we" could have made a claim. Our opposition is the VC.!

Also, seems I should have declared the mistake at the first possible moment though, either on green or before next tee when I knew the error had been made.

Back in the day when I played club knockouts, all this was done via a chart in the foyer before heading to the first tee. Players confirmed their handicaps, worked it out on the chart depending on format, and job was a goodun.
Strictly speaking your partner should have confirmed you were off 6 after he'd done the discussion with the other team, strictly speaking you should have confirmed it all before you teed off if you missed the discussion too.
Lesson learnt, luckily it didn't cost you!

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Matchplay - I'm not sure about when it is noticed mid-round, and certain decisions could be postponed until after the round, possibly, after consulting the committee.

However, if you only noticed afterwards, and shook un the result - it stands.

I was the unfortunate who was on the wrong side of this a few years ago. A player in a pair we played against should have played off a lower handicap, but the one rule overrules the playing off the wrong handicap rule, which I think is wrong.

GreggerKBR

Head Pro
Visit site
My partner told me were giving 7-shots as we walked down the first, after our tee-shots.
So by that point, even if it had registered with me, it seems we would've been obligated to give 7 shots.
It took me a few holes to work out that we should've been giving only 6 shots.
My mistake, thankfully it was this way around rather than the other which would've been DQ. :(
Scary - lessons to learn!

Three

Tour Rookie
Visit site
My partner told me were giving 7-shots as we walked down the first, after our tee-shots.
So by that point, even if it had registered with me, it seems we would've been obligated to give 7 shots.
It took me a few holes to work out that we should've been giving only 6 shots.
My mistake, thankfully it was this way around rather than the other which would've been DQ. :(
Scary - lessons to learn!

Well we're all different, I would have wanted to know exactly why and broken it down.

Anyway, serves you right for not getting there in time 😃

GreggerKBR

Head Pro
Visit site
Well we're all different, I would have wanted to know exactly why and broken it down.

Anyway, serves you right for not getting there in time 

Yes, that's what I asked after - how did they work it out.
Then I thought, hang on that doesn't add up, so made enquiries to confirm handicaps before realising the mistake.
I'd gone to get a score card and pin placement sheets, when they discussed it.
When I returned the tee shots were being played so I stood back politely.
thanks for the advice though.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site

It's a good general issue, and a variation of the usual misunderstanding over who did, or didn't have a shot on a particular hole!

I believe you have come to the correct conclusion in this post.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Always thought it was up to op to claim their shots on the tee of shot holes.
for them to do this they should confirm your hcap from you.