AG up for sale

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Not sure how true it is as I've not checked but I heard every store in Scotland bar East Kilbride is for the chop?

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I'm sure I read in one of the online reports that 30 stores will close, but according to these it's 20 stores saving 900 jobs.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/business/american-golf-shop-closures-full-13408924

https://www.retailgazette.co.uk/blo...scued-administration-endless-saving-900-jobs/

Just off the phone with Moor Lane (Lincoln), they're staying but the one in the Valentine centre in Lincoln is gone. They rang to tell me the driver I'd ordered two weeks ago is delayed. Bummer. But it's not the end of the world (as long as it arrives!).

According to both links above

The business will honour valid gift cards and outstanding customer orders
It is understood that the new management will honour valid gift cards and outstanding customers orders.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Hope the new owners make AG more competitive! £20 more expensive for the same putter, White hot pro, £6 more expensive for the Wilson Infinite range and so on!! Basically just try clubs out when I need them and go elsewhere cheaper online! Not a great business model

I'm sure running a physical shop is more exepensive than running a wharehouse based business. Store front property is more expensive to rent than wharehouse property, along with the marketing paraphenalia, staff required to man the store and other overheads e.g. fitting bays and trackman systems etc. Having said that, they will always price match, as many businesses do these days.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm sure running a physical shop is more exepensive than running a wharehouse based business. Store front property is more expensive to rent than wharehouse property, along with the marketing paraphenalia, staff required to man the store and other overheads e.g. fitting bays and trackman systems etc. Having said that, they will always price match, as many businesses do these days.

Excellent post but you missed one of the biggies, business rates. Rates that have increased significantly in the last 2 years and are much greater for shops in high street locations. It is the same with all virtual retailers against physical retailers, the virtual shops have a huge advantage.

For those that go into the physical shops to try but then never buy, what will you do when the physical shops are no longer there? Where will you try then? I'm not saying always pay more for your gear but if you try in an AG, or equivalent, then you should give them the opportunity of matching or coming close. After all you are using their facilities, their expertise to help you make your choice.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hope the new owners make AG more competitive! £20 more expensive for the same putter, White hot pro, £6 more expensive for the Wilson Infinite range and so on!! Basically just try clubs out when I need them and go elsewhere cheaper online! Not a great business model
That’s all very good, but if they went altogether because they don’t make money then what will you do?
So you can buy it cheaper online by a couple of quid, what will you do if you don’t like it and want to return in and likely having to pay return postage along with the hassle?
I’m no lover of AG, but I have no problem with them or any physical shop being a few pounds dearer than online. They have lots more to pay for that online warehouses don’t, plus you can try something first and that has to be rewarded

LIG

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Excellent post but you missed one of the biggies, business rates. Rates that have increased significantly in the last 2 years and are much greater for shops in high street locations. It is the same with all virtual retailers against physical retailers, the virtual shops have a huge advantage.

For those that go into the physical shops to try but then never buy, what will you do when the physical shops are no longer there? Where will you try then? I'm not saying always pay more for your gear but if you try in an AG, or equivalent, then you should give them the opportunity of matching or coming close. After all you are using their facilities, their expertise to help you make your choice.

This.
(y)

I wouldn't quibble over a few pence either (or pounds for something significant). But then, I'm firmly of the opinion that nothing I buy is going to improve my play - only practice will do that.

dankiz

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I must admit, I have never asked about price matching! As a superstore, I didn't think it was doable! Do they price match with like for like stores like Clubhouse golf for instance?

dankiz

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Yes, they've price matched for me with Clubhouse golf and Golf Support 👍
They also advertised in store and online about price matching.

Ah that's great to know, that changes everything! Thanks J. There is a decent guy in my local branch who is always helpful, loves Benross stock! Can't believe I never asked before

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ah that's great to know, that changes everything! Thanks J. There is a decent guy in my local branch who is always helpful, loves Benross stock! Can't believe I never asked before
Forgive me for labouring this but you appear to suggest that you wouldnt buy from this AG store, even though they have helpful and decent staff, because they are a few pounds dearer than basement on-line prices?
The staff have to be paid, so surely the benefit of dealing with good staff is worth that very small extra in the purchase prices?

dankiz

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Forgive me for labouring this but you appear to suggest that you wouldnt buy from this AG store, even though they have helpful and decent staff, because they are a few pounds dearer than basement on-line prices?
The staff have to be paid, so surely the benefit of dealing with good staff is worth that very small extra in the purchase prices?

To be fair, I have bought putters and various items over the years from the store in the past but tended to wait for sales due to budget constraints. It just stemmed from a while back when I was looking to buy a white hot pro putter and it was £20 more expensive than other outlets. Good customer service is important and I would like to support them

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
In my experience they'll usually price match.

Also worth knowing that if you're spending a fair few quid they may throw in some freebies etc.

Last time I made a substantial purchase (Motocaddy, shoes, clothes & other bits n bobs), I was given 50% off the shoes and clothes, saving £100 or so plus a free trolley storage bag.

Have also had free balls when buying clubs.

Just have to have the nerve to ask if the store manager can do you a deal and see if they'll play ball... obviously can depend on the individual store, how badly they need your business, how close they are to their monthly/quarterly targets etc.

D

Deleted member 18588

I am sorry but reference to "good staff" when talking about AG is a massive generalisation.

Many that I have had contact with display little or no knowledge of the products and no interest in being there.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am sorry but reference to "good staff" when talking about AG is a massive generalisation.

Many that I have had contact with display little or no knowledge of the products and no interest in being there.
His words were "There is a decent guy in my local branch who is always helpful, "
I agree with with your finding of AG staff, but in this case he has found someone who he likes and is helpful. Why wouldnt you want to reward this chap with a sale or two?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I have used AG to test clubs but I'd definitely not go down their custom fit route. I'll simply use my local range (although their limiting their new stock) or go to Silvermere to try. I actually think it's a great chance for AG to clear the deadwood and really up their game. For clothing and accessories they are really good, just the clubs I had problems with but if they turn it around I'd be happy to give them a go again.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have used AG to test clubs but I'd definitely not go down their custom fit route. I'll simply use my local range (although their limiting their new stock) or go to Silvermere to try. I actually think it's a great chance for AG to clear the deadwood and really up their game. For clothing and accessories they are really good, just the clubs I had problems with but if they turn it around I'd be happy to give them a go again.

I think they have really improved their game fitting wise. The dedicated fitting bays at the range I go are suppose to be brilliant

They fitted my 11 handicap mate with a driver.. he loves it, been cut to like 9 now after being on 11 for a few years

Not saying it’s the driver ofc but was a good fit

I really enjoyed the fitting when I went, test me on graphite , steel, diff clubs.. used my own aswell, compared flight , distance etc.

I was open to graphite because I said I’d go for the best for me, he said steel are best for me (even though graphite would cost more) and also even said My current would fit me fine so no need to change. However I wanted to treat myself so went for a set that would fit the same just pleased me to get them.

D

Deleted member 18588

His words were "There is a decent guy in my local branch who is always helpful, "
I agree with with your finding of AG staff, but in this case he has found someone who he likes and is helpful. Why wouldnt you want to reward this chap with a sale or two?

Don't get me wrong I am always prepared to give them a chance and hope that the business can be saved without too much pain.

It's just that I think that, as a business, they need to choose their staff more carefully and try to avoid those that think that they ought to be playing on the Tour rather than serving paying customers.